Light-O-Rama Forums

Woofer Distortion

kzaas

kzaas wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:
Just some fun facts, not meant to bust anyone's chops.

Modulate is what is done to the RF signal when broadcasting an A.M. signal. Which is to include sideband of any flavor.
Deviate is what is done to the R.F. signal when broadcasting an F.M. signal.

And I am not going to get into all of the other forms of modulation or deviation of a carrier signal. (PSK, FSK and so on)

Just to have some fun I feel like busting some chops .

Do you know what the "M" stands for in "AM" and "FM"?

It's "F"requency "M"odulation and "A"mplitude "M"odulation.

OK funs been had :P. Time for me to get back to work on my Win 7 and PS3 Media Streaming problems.

At least I was not trying to be a jerk when I was just putting out some info and I truly was not meaning or trying to be a jerk. But it seems that you just had to throw some drama into this thread.

Max-Paul wrote:

kzaas wrote:
Max-Paul wrote:
Just some fun facts, not meant to bust anyone's chops.

Modulate is what is done to the RF signal when broadcasting an A.M. signal. Which is to include sideband of any flavor.
Deviate is what is done to the R.F. signal when broadcasting an F.M. signal.

And I am not going to get into all of the other forms of modulation or deviation of a carrier signal. (PSK, FSK and so on)

Just to have some fun I feel like busting some chops .

Do you know what the "M" stands for in "AM" and "FM"?

It's "F"requency "M"odulation and "A"mplitude "M"odulation.

OK funs been had :P. Time for me to get back to work on my Win 7 and PS3 Media Streaming problems.

At least I was not trying to be a jerk when I was just putting out some info and I truly was not meaning or trying to be a jerk. But it seems that you just had to throw some drama into this thread.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I was just trying to have some fun on a boring Saturday morning. I didn't mean to offend you thats why I included the smiley face. It was meant in fun.

I was taught several clean saying for the resistor color code and one that wasn't. I can only remember the one.:P

35 years ago my dad kept a full set of resistors in one of those large cabinets with the plastic drawers. I had it sitting on my bed, forgot about it and went to stand up too quickly. The entire cabinet with a couple of thousand resistor landed on the floor up side down. Very few resistors with the same value were located together. It took me about a half an hour to put them back in the correct location. Ever since then, I've been able to just look at a resistor and read the value directly without reverting to any cheat method.

It's possible that the transmitter could have a modulation deviation that is wider then the 75 KHz standard. It's also possible that different radios can demodulate wider deviations without distortion. So just because you cranked up the volume to just under the maximum on one radio, doesn't mean that there won't be distortion on another one.

Also realize that 3dB on a VU meter, thats in some audio editors, is twice the voltage. So without a limiter, its certainly possible for a song to be too loud. The bass frequencies are easier to hear when the sound gets clipped than with higher frequencies.

Here's my setup, I have a PC playing an MP3 to a line output which is fed to a line splitter. One side is sent to my Ramsey FM transmitter and the other to my 100 watt Sony receiver. In my car, when tuned to the right radio statio I don't hear the distortion, but I do hear the distortion on the left channel speaker on the receiver. Now keep in mind this is how I remember it from December.

Yesterday I played the TSO-WIW MP3 and I did again hear the distortion and I am using 14 AWG wire now, this is the same MP3 that I used in December. I do have the original TSO disc so I will put that in the computer and try that. I may have run that MP3 through audacity before using it, I don't remember.

Might be time to do some other troubleshooting. Might try swapping the right and left speakers to see if the distortion moves to the box associated with left, or moves with the box to the right side.

Could it be possible that you have a bad speaker? Could it be possible the channel on the receiver is the culpret?

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

Could it be possible the channel on the receiver is the culpret?

It's also possible that the receiver the maximum input level for the amplifier is less then that of the transmitter. Anybody that's connected multiple components to an amplifier knows that everything is at a slightly different level.

I agree with Chuck. Switch them around. I would be willing to bet that either the woofer surround has been compromised or that you have started to melt the speaker coil.

Also, 18g is a tad light for 50' runs. You should go with at least 16g.

ErnieHorning wrote:

cmoore60 wrote:
Could it be possible the channel on the receiver is the culpret?

It's also possible that the receiver the maximum input level for the amplifier is less then that of the transmitter. Anybody that's connected multiple components to an amplifier knows that everything is at a slightly different level.

Ernie,

I have to keep the input level fairly low(but not so low that I have to over compensate for it with the receiver) other wise it will distort the processing on the Ramsey transmitter.

Chuck,

It, can't be the receiver or speaker because I am using the equipment now for entertainment in the garage and I am hearing no distortion, one possibility though is the input channel on the receiver. I will try a different input on the receiver and see what happens. Right now I have the PC plugged into the Tape/MD input of the receiver.

Thanks guys keep the ideas coming, so after work tonight I am goig to try the original TSO cd and also plugging the PC into a different input on the receiver.

kzaas wrote:

Ernie,

I have to keep the input level fairly low(but not so low that I have to over compensate for it with the receiver) other wise it will distort the processing on the Ramsey transmitter.

This thread is just making a big liar out of me. I went out in the garage and ran more tests when I got home from work tonight and here is what I found.

I played the original TSO CD and no distortion Big Surprise

Played the TSO-WIW MP3 using Windows Media Player and I was surprised, no distortion. So I played the MP3 using LOR and transmitted through receiver and the Ramsey and there it was, distortion.

So what I did was listened to the MP3 using the receiver with "MD/Tape" selected and it was distorted but while I was listening I switched the input to "FM" and BOOM the music was much much louder which meant I needed to turn down the inputs inside the Ramsey.

So since the Ramsey was Transmitting so hot I had to turn down the computer output which meant turning up the receiver for the speakers to be heard and I was overdriving the receiver causing the distortion.

I properly aligned the Ramsey and everything sounds great now. Thanks guys for all of your inputs.