Light-O-Rama Forums

multiple versions

Philip

Philip wrote:

is there any way to install multiple versions of the software on the same computer?

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Yes, but it requires you to either setup a dual-boot on your PC or run virtualization software.

You can't have two versions on the same machine. However, with the dual-boot / virtulization route, you can have two OS's running on a machine, and thus multiple versions.

Don is on the right track - The is software virtualization where you don't have to run multiple OS's but LOR doesn't play well with it (in my experience). It is kind of cool stuff where you can turn software on / off VERY quickly.

If you used something like VirtualBox is the EASIEST to get setup and just have tests beds of multiple versions. You could also get fancy and make a few InstallRite packages of each version you want and install and uninstall each one fairly quickly.

Harrison

Last year, sometime, I did play with VirtualBox and LOR. If I remember correctly, I was able to get the VM (virtual machine) to see the USB/Com Port, and get the lights to do their thing.

I suspect Phillip isn't wanting to run his shows via a VM, but rather have the ability to program in two different versions. (Makes sense to me anyway.) I suspect some form of virtualization will work out well for him.

I do ALOT of sequencing and would like to continue most of them with the 2.7.6 version of the software for the bulk of my clients, but would like to be able to also begin my own sequencing using the 2.8.0

the simplest answer is to put the newer stuff on the laptop, but it's got a much smaller screen and thus I don't like to sequence there

Most laptops will show up dual screen if you hook up an external monitor...so you could span the application across both screens (or use just the external that is a larger screen....)

tomskillman wrote:

Most laptops will show up dual screen if you hook up an external monitor...so you could span the application across both screens (or use just the external that is a larger screen....)

the bigger monitor is hooked up to the desktop pc, so it wouldn't really be a plus to unhook it to connect to the monitor