Light-O-Rama Forums

Rainbow Spotlights...Coming Soon!

Ponddude

As promised, the Rainbow Spotlights delivery date is coming soon. I am starting this new thread, because the exisiting thread about the floods is full of great information and I do not want to detract from that. That post can be found here:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum79/22328.html

The Rainbow Spotlight was designed as just that...a spotlight. It was not designed to through a tremendous amount of light at whatever surface it was lighting. That is what the flood is for. For example, the Rainbow Flood light can easily light up the entire side of your house, while the Rainbow Spotlight was designed to light up an object for a tree. Think of the spotlights throughout your landscape lighting. They don't light up your whole yard, rather just some bushes or the posts of your house. That is what the Rainbow Spotlight was designed to do.

As with all the Rainbow line of the lights, Plug and Play was the name of the game. A cat-5 cable easily connects all the lights together and to either the Rainbow Brain or the an LOR DC controller (CMB-16D). These lights, just like the rest, can easily connect to each other as well.

Compact and effecient was the name of the name with this design. The lights actual size is 3.15"x1.25". However, when the light is just 5 feet from a wall, it easily created a circle of light that was at least 10 ft wide! Full RGB capabilities give you the ability to add millions of color to almost anything.

As with all the lights, they will be available in complete kits, with all the pieces you need to build a complete light, or fully assembled. As with the floods, the assembled spotlights are going to be built overseas, which is why they are more expensive. The kits will be $10.50 and the fully assembled version will be $19.00 (this price may change, still waiting on final build quotes). The lights will go on sale in the store at some point tomorrow (7/20/10). Final versions of the manuals as well as the data sheets are in the works and should be posted by the end of the week.

The order for the lights has already been placed as of yesterday, so I expect to start shipping these by the week of August 2nd. As always, if anyone has any questions, you can contact me at greg@christmasonmanor.com

Here are some pictures, as well as a video, of the light output.

P1010837.jpg

P1010865.jpg

P1010861.jpg

P1010868.jpg

P1010869.jpg

http://www.vimeo.com/13474466

I wasn't happy with the initial design, so I changed it up in the second version. Much happier with this light.:D

There has got to be an uptick on DC controller sales with the floods, now the spots, the blizzards, and all the rest.

So now we have to sort out enclosures for these too...:D

I'm still in decision mode on spots...i have existing landscape lighting which makes one of the other LED spots a choice if I just want to plug them into exisiting landscape fixtures (MR-16s)...but I give up color variability...

I know I'll HAVE to get one to test drive..that's a sure thing..

Spotlights are now available in the store.

www.christmasonmanor.com/store

Also, I believe the best idea for a enclosure is to use the fluorescent tube protectors again. These will fit perfectly in there and the end caps will seal the end of the tubes very well. Plus, you can get a bunch of enclosures out of one 4ft tube.

I also updated the manuals into the store. I have to finish up the data sheet and the post everything on the main Product page website. That will be done by the end of the week.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. greg@christmasonmanor.com

Has anyone else noticed that the photo's showing the spotlights capabilities looks sorta like a giant light bulb ? Is this a subliminal message to get us all thinking how to use these ? :) sorta something like "get that light bulb in your head lit along with thousand of others guys!" I hope I can find someone soon selling led units to fit into standard wedge base landscape lighting with rbg abilities .. hint hint ;) don't ask me how it will work with two wires, but it would be incredible to be able to select a color with only two wires leading in...

Sorry, I should have posted a picture of what the side of the house looks like during the day. Mike is right though, there are 4 bushes in the way of the light, which is why I got that effect. This is the flattest area on my house and the best place to show off the lights. ;)

P1010879.jpg

I just wanted to show everyone another use for the Rainbow Spotlights.

I ordered some Coro Stars from David at HolidayCoro.com and put one spotlight in each star. (http://www.holidaycoro.com/) The color changing effects inside these things are incredible!! The stars are very well designed and very easy to assembled. Here is what the spotlights look like inside the stars...

P1010881.jpg

P1010885.jpg

Here is a video of them in action. I actually used the new version of S2 with all the color picker options and new color fades...very impressive!

http://www.vimeo.com/13632850

Yeah and I am glad I did. I originally thought I would paint them but when I did my testing, the light comes through just a little bit, which makes them look incredible!

So I have 2 questions, how do those starts hold up in a blizzard and what keeps them from filling up with snow?

Well, really nothing keeps them from filling up with snow. However, i do have a lot of other coro things and they have faired pretty well over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

The spotlights draw 480 mA when all colors are on at 100%, which is white in color.

Red draws 180mA
Green draws 150mA
Blue draws 150mA

You could easily daisy chain 5 or 6 together.

Also, 480 mA is 5.76 watts @ 12 VDC.

Thanks for the info :)

I am in the process of building two right now, If all goes well my plan is to order eight more.

Starting to think it may be time to to order a second DC control board.

Thanks for all the great products and support you have been given the community, I can say that so far I have been a very happy customer.