Light-O-Rama Forums

FM transmitter and lights

Guest guest

I was wondering if when you use an FM transmitter you need to compensate for any type of delay between sending the signal and the lights going on. I am thinking of getting a transmitter and won't be able to afford it for about a month and I don't want to have to reprogram all my lights.

Thanks

No do not worry about any delays, you dont have to send the signal far enough to have to worry about a delay. Just program your lights however you hear them, and then when its showtime just plug the transmitter in and presto.

Bill,

I personally use a modified Belkin Tunecast II, with no problems. However several have had problems and yet about the same have had great results like me. It really all depends on where you live and how full the surrounding radio dial is. You can visit http://www.christmasdisplays.net for a tutorial on modifying this transmitter, you can pick it up at walmart for approx 30 dollars. Others buy kits and premade transmitters from Ramsey. These are more expensive but you are pretty well guaranteed to get good results with one of these kits. So take your pick you may get lucky with a 30 dollar Belkin or you can go ahead and purchase a Ramsey Transmitter. I personally would suggest trying the belkin, try to not damage the casing of the transmitter and if it doesnt work take it back to walmart, they take everything back. (ha)

I use the awesome Ramsey FM30B transmitter, which I just won off eBay a couple of weeks ago. You can see the auction and the photos of it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220020075255

Many LOR users have reported that the Ramsey FM25B, which came out earlier, was also a good unit, BUT.... It has no display on it.

But I like the FM30B better, because it has and LCD display, and you just dial up the exact frequency you want, instead of playing the old tune and guess game. Also, it stores the station you want to broadcast on even after you power down, once you set it in memory.

If you use the LOR1602W with Show Director and MP3 Player like I do, it has a headphone jack, and you just plug in an audio cable that has an 1/8 inch headphone jack on one end, and RCA plugs on the other end. The RCA end plugs into the audio input of your Ramsey FM30b transmitter.

The Ramsey models all come in kits that you put together for $199, or pay about $100 more for it to be assembled and tested for you. I paid $255 for mine, a good bargain .

Mine works about 10 houses down the street without increasing the factory default power setting. On My lexus with Mark Levinson stereo, the transmission is crystal clear, and sounds like a CD. I put on a new age CD, and transmitted it, tuned my Lexus radio to 100.9, let the neighbors hear it, they thought I was listening to a CD in the car!

Also, there is ZERO delay. I tested out my Halloween mix tonight with 12 lit pumkins, a rope light, a large blow mold ghost, and 2 mini Xmas trees with white LEDs. Everything was perfectly in sync, worked like a charm. My Halloween setup will be awesome this year, my neighbors got a sneak peak, and they were very impressed. The FM trasnmitter part really blows people's minds. I'm very happy with the one I got.

If you build it yourself, it can take a 10-15 hours, depending on how good you are with a soldering iron, then you have to test it and pray you did it right. I just bought mine assembeled, I have a enough work to do assembling my mega tree.

Built my FM30 in 5 hours and it worked the first time. Except I had it turned up to much on the power band and had to turn it down cause I was getting about a mile range. I had XM piped into the the transmitter and then I took my portable Dewalt radio in the truck with me and I did not have any delay from the XM in my truck to the Dewalt.

The only way you could even get a delay is if you had a HUGE outdoor rock concert style speaker setup playing the music and you were a few thousand feet away since sound does not travel as fast a radio waves. Same kind of reason why when you see a fireworks display you see the flash and then the BOOM!.

I think the neighbors might be a little concern though if they saw you setting up something like this in front of your house. :)

nogrills.JPG

I have the Ramsey FM-10C and Have not had any problems.. it goes around the block quite well.. because i tested it once i was finished. It took me about an hour and a half to assemble and it works great! It sounds just like a cd and its great.. I can't wait til this year!

RichardH wrote:

The only way you could even get a delay is if you had a HUGE outdoor rock concert style speaker setup playing the music and you were a few thousand feet away since sound does not travel as fast a radio waves. Same kind of reason why when you see a fireworks display you see the flash and then the BOOM!.

Actually, it doesn't take a few thousand feet for there to be a delay. Any more than about 100 feet from your speakers to the audience and you'll have a slight delay. This delay is more noticeable the further away you get.

Have you ever watched a marching band perform at halftime? Take a good look at the director. Try to count with him and compare it to the music you hear. At most high school stadiums you won't be more than a hundred yards away from the band and you'll notice the delay between what you see and what you hear.

jeffostroff wrote:

Many LOR users have reported that the Ramsey FM25B, which came out earlier, was also a good unit, BUT.... It has no display on it.

But I like the FM30B better, because it has and LCD display, and you just dial up the exact frequency you want, instead of playing the old tune and guess game. Also, it stores the station you want to broadcast on even after you power down, once you set it in memory.

Glad you like the 30B Jeff. It's great little rig!

The 25B offers a chip driven oscillator (the 25 used one by Motorola. I am not sure if that was the same in the 25B).

The frequency is set, and is every bit as stable as the 100B, or the 30B for that matter. The difference is you set DIP switches to select the frequency in the 25 series, whereas you program it with an LCD readout in the 100B and 30B series. There is no guessing with either method. The frequencies are stored on a chip, independent of powering the unit for all of the above models.

The LCD panel of the 30B, while glitzy does not affect operation in any significant way.

So, if you like the look and features of the 30B, purchase it. If you prefer to save a few $$, and get a unit that performs equally well, then go with the 25B.

Either way you will very happy!

Greg

i have the Ramsey transmitter 25b question is cant figure out how to turn the range up a little so i can get it to make it to the street i see 2 dip like switchs dont know which way to turn them

i just need it to go another 10-20 feet

is there a chart where the switchs should be at

sorry if this is a little off topic

Thanks

warcraft wrote:

i have the Ramsey transmitter 25b question is cant figure out how to turn the range up a little so i can get it to make it to the street i see 2 dip like switchs dont know which way to turn them

i just need it to go another 10-20 feet

is there a chart where the switchs should be at

sorry if this is a little off topic

Thanks

Disclaimer: This is from memory, as I do not have a unit in front of me. I would strongly suggest verifying my information.

The two knobs you are looking at are located near one of the edges, correct? If so, this controls the left/right channels. (Again, if memory serves.)

You want to adjust the knob in the center(ish) of the board. It's housed in a square(ish) silver enclosure. Right for more, left for less.

Ramsey's manual for the FM25b does not specify how to increase the transmit power:

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/downloads/manuals/FM25B.pdf

This is why I love my FM30B so much, because the LCD menu has a setting for you to pump up power from the push button on the panel.

But on your Ramsey FM25b, if you need more range, try a better antenna, there's antenna solutions in the manual.

Try getting a 25 foot audio cable, so you can place the tranmitter close to a window and higher up, to improve your transmit distance.

I just received my Ramses 25B and tested it with just an ipod to a stereo about 15 feet away, and a receiver in the garage about 25 feet away. Excellet sigal and sound. I cannot wait to hook it up to my laptop and xmas display.

A little fyi If you need a long line out 3.5 MM I found a site with 25 foot and 50 foot very cheap. These are male to mail to go from ouput device into transmitter.
www.cablewholesale.com. I got a 50 ft cable for $6.60, and I could not find anyone who could touch that price. * You do have to have at least a $10 order from them, but still very cheap for the cable.

Flanman