Light-O-Rama Forums

Largest Setup for channels

toddmoon

as far as largest, I would say shadrack... I know their display is a large drive thru ( I havent personally seen it but would like to) i am not sure how many channels they have

Max-Paul wrote:

I'm a little confused. Where is Shadrack? And who's "Carol of the Bells" are we speaking about?

Thank

I think there are 3 now, I just googled it to fing out about the channels, They are in Tennessee I do believe sir. Drive thru display, 10 bucks a car.

The last show i did - 2008 - (no 2009 due to work), I was running 1800+ channels of control on 2 houses. I did experience some issues, but think those are resolved and will have to wait and see...

FYI - i used 7 dmx half universes at 255 channels each for tri-color led strings

Dr. Jones wrote:

The last show i did - 2008 - (no 2009 due to work), I was running 1800+ channels of control on 2 houses. I did experience some issues, but think those are resolved and will have to wait and see...

FYI - i used 7 dmx half universes at 255 channels each for tri-color led strings

Are you doing a 2010 show?
I would drive to Corona to see that many channels!;)

Just curious do you keep your controllers dedicated to a location or do you lay them out and pick them up each year.

I am thinking about building a new home in a couple of years and I am seriously thinking about building a room in the house that is dedicated to housing all of the LOR controllers in the room and running conduit and wiring to all of the elements of the light show I would want to control.

I have been trying to layout what I would do and I am already up to 1008 channels and still counting.

toddmoon wrote:

Just curious do you keep your controllers dedicated to a location or do you lay them out and pick them up each year.

I am thinking about building a new home in a couple of years and I am seriously thinking about building a room in the house that is dedicated to housing all of the LOR controllers in the room and running conduit and wiring to all of the elements of the light show I would want to control.

I have been trying to layout what I would do and I am already up to 1008 channels and still counting.
While I don't have near the amount of channels that you have, keep in mind, making your controllers portable and not having to run conduit to various areas of the yard, means that you can keep changing the way your display looks every year. This will keep the spectators coming back year after year and not get bored with it.

lightzilla wrote:

I know for sure that I do not have the most channels, nor the most lights.

Same here. But I don't concentrate on number of lights or channels, as long as I have enough to do what I want. It's what you do with them that is the main thing, and if it's enjoyable. I've seen 100 channel setups that I didn't care for, and 16 channel ones done very well.

Right now all of my plans are in the idea stage. When I started adding up the costs to running dedicated conduit and wiring the costs really add up. I am wondering about running power outlets to centralized locations and running power to those locations. I would landscape and design covers for the locations so they do not stand out when not in use.

This way I can alter my layouts and still have a semi dedicated system. I am going to run power outlets and Cat 6 wire to the windows and roof line edges as well as to the dedicated centralized locations to help reduce what is out on the ground.

Where I live we do get a lot of snow and the last two years it was months before I was able to roll up all of my power cords.

Keep the comments coming I still have a year or two before I have commit to the new house and it does give me some time to figure out a good use able layout that will help to reduce work later.

Toddmoon,

Maybe I misunderstood your comments. You mention how you plan to run Cat5 to each window and some other key locations. Just to be sure, you do understand that the communication protocol is not Ethernet? But is RS-485, which is a daisy chain topology instead of the Ethernet star topology. So you have to run two cables to each window or location. And if you do not have a device at that location you will need to put in a barrel connector.

Maybe I have it all wrong about what you were describing.

Max-Paul wrote:

Toddmoon,

Maybe I misunderstood your comments. You mention how you plan to run Cat5 to each window and some other key locations. Just to be sure, you do understand that the communication protocol is not Ethernet? But is RS-485, which is a daisy chain topology instead of the Ethernet star topology. So you have to run two cables to each window or location. And if you do not have a device at that location you will need to put in a barrel connector.

Maybe I have it all wrong about what you were describing.

unless you plan on using multiple networks or splitters

Yes I realize that this is essentially a daisy chain system. I am just planning ahead and wanting to have options. I may use the combo wiring that has coax, Ethernet, and fiber optics just for options later in the future. You never know what the future will bring. Maybe it will all be wireless and wiring for networks will go the way of the dinosaurs.