Light-O-Rama Forums

Stupid Question #25 - Male Ends of LED's

jimswinder

I am constructing something that will be using a lot of 9 Pin Molex connectors (for quicker assembly).

What I would like to do is cut off the Male ends of (4) 50ct M6 LED strings and replace them with (1) 9 Pin Molex connector.

Now, I know that the male ends have the fuses in them, but would it be such a big deal when I won't be adding any other strings (just one string per channel)?

Aren't the fuses there mainly for overloading by adding too many strings end to end?

I know most of you are asking "Why add a molex if I am only using one string", but it is both a cost issue: (216) STP2 Ext Cords and 432 Vampire Plugs vs (54) 8 18AWG Conductor Cables and 108 Molex Connectors, weight and not wanting the extension cords to be seen (again 216 STP2 Cords vs 54 Cables).

Thoughts?

Thats not a bad Idea,
So if you are making 4 color super strings for a mega tree, at the bottom of the string you have 1 molex connector.
I like the cut of your jib.

rstately wrote:

Thats not a bad Idea,
So if you are making 4 color super strings for a mega tree, at the bottom of the string you have 1 molex connector. I like the cut of your jib.

Exactly...sort of.

In the case you describe, I would just put the controller under the Mega Tree and have my SPT2 Dongles coming from my Enclousre long enough to plug into the strings (which is what I did). :D

But you get the idea...

In my case, the Controllers will be 50 feet from the furthest set of "plugs", and SPT2 cords would be just too heavy for the application. And having 108 Cords in plain view would look ...unsightly.

Would show a picture of what I am doing...but it won't be up until a couple of days before the show starts on Thanksgiving..

As was mentioned somewhere before, the purpose of fuses (and circuit breakers) is to protect wire. As you have correctly stated, the fuses in the plugs are there in case too much is plugged into the other end. This is really important indoors, because a hot wire in a Christmas tree can start a fire. Outdoors in Winter, it doesn't matter very much.

The fuses in the plugs of incandescent mini strings have another function. When a bulb in a mini string burns out, it will short itself so the rest of the string remains lit. As more bulbs burn out, the current rises to the point where all the bulbs burn out and the current goes very high. At this point the fuses blow to protect what's left of the string, and anything flammable nearby. LED bulbs don't fail often enough to make this a problem, and they may fail either open or shorted.

In one GE brand of LED strings I have, the rectifier is built into the plug. If your plugs look bigger than they need to be, you should check to see if that's where the rectifier is. (In most other brands, it is in a separate blob on the string. Half-wave strings don't have rectifiers.)

Steven wrote:

In one GE brand of LED strings I have, the rectifier is built into the plug. If your plugs look bigger than they need to be, you should check to see if that's where the rectifier is. (In most other brands, it is in a separate blob on the string. Half-wave strings don't have rectifiers.)

Nope...mine look like regular plugs with the "blobs" at either end (and sometimes in the middle)

Jim,
I like the concept. What is the 9 Pin Molex connector part numbers and what type of cabling are you using? What is the max load per pin & connector?

Scott T wrote:

Jim,
I like the concept. What is the 9 Pin Molex connector part numbers and what type of cabling are you using? What is the max load per pin & connector?

Actually they are not Molex brand...but similar, found them on eBay from these guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230456822609&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I believe they are 5 amp. 55 cents for both male and female plus the 9 female and male pins...and got a crimper from them for $15.

Wire is 18 awg 8 conductor shielded cable rated at 300 volts. PVC jacket. Got it at a local Hardware Store that specializes in wire.

Would include a picture...but my friend has my camera. Maybe post tomorrow when I get it back.