Light-O-Rama Forums

Troubleshooting

blainedead

I finally cracked open a box of the LEDs that I ordered and received a while back. So, I pulled out a string of m6 pure white 100 ct, plugged it in and, wow, it looked great...for about 5 seconds. Then the last 1/3 of the string went out.

This is my first dealing with LEDs of any kind. Any body know how to troubleshoot and repair, or if it can even be done. I hate to start sending stuff back if I can fix it myself.

I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Not a good sign when the very first string breaks in less than 10 seconds. :P

I would first try contacting the vendor that you bought the LED's from and see what they say.

blainedead wrote:

I finally cracked open a box of the LEDs that I ordered and received a while back. So, I pulled out a string of m6 pure white 100 ct, plugged it in and, wow, it looked great...for about 5 seconds. Then the last 1/3 of the string went out.

This is my first dealing with LEDs of any kind. Any body know how to troubleshoot and repair, or if it can even be done. I hate to start sending stuff back if I can fix it myself.

I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Not a good sign when the very first string breaks in less than 10 seconds. :P

When and from whom did you buy this from. Reason I ask is that there have been some problems in years past. And the "a while back" has me wondering it these were purchased this year or a year or two ago? 100 count and 1/3 of string failed. This does not compute! I expect 1/2 or 1/4 of the string failing, but not 1/3, interesting.

Max-Paul wrote:

blainedead wrote:

When and from whom did you buy this from. Reason I ask is that there have been some problems in years past. And the "a while back" has me wondering it these were purchased this year or a year or two ago? 100 count and 1/3 of string failed. This does not compute! I expect 1/2 or 1/4 of the string failing, but not 1/3, interesting.

Received my 2010 strings and the 100 light M6 strings are wired 33/33/34.

Quote: Received my 2010 strings and the 100 light M6 strings are wired 33/33/34.

^^Same for me. I tried the old wiggle/jiggle method to no avail. I sent a pm to the vendor, so I guess I'll just wait for a reply.

blainedead wrote:

Quote: Received my 2010 strings and the 100 light M6 strings are wired 33/33/34.

^^Same for me. I tried the old wiggle/jiggle method to no avail. I sent a pm to the vendor, so I guess I'll just wait for a reply.

The vendor is going to ask you how many strings are defective? Have you tried more then 1?

There is always a small amount on strings, no matter if they are Mini's or LED's, that will fail out of the package.

Dennis, you nailed that one right on the head. Just checked my pm, and thats exactly what he asked. It will take me a couple of days to get them all tested. I did bring a case of them to the Fire Hall to start wrapping some segments of my arches, I will test at least 12 of them this evening.

And you are absolutely right about the fail rates. But I was still slightly terrified when it was the first one. I can fix the old faithful incandescents pretty easily. And when that one quit, I had no idea what to do, or if I could do anything. I told the vendor in my pm, as much as I studied LEDs before I started the change-over (and I studied them ad nauseum), I never even thought about repairs.

But, hey, its all good! That's why we don't wait until October to start, right?:cool:

Dennis Cherry Wrote:
Received my 2010 strings and the 100 light M6 strings are wired 33/33/34.

Well I'll be danged. Thanks Dennis for educating me. Just seems strange to have an odd bulb on the last 3rd of the string. Oh well live and learn.

Again, thanks Dennis

You do not mention your vendor, which is not a problem. However, the vendor that I have purchase my LEDs from has been great about shipping out replacements.

The first thing I do is connect them all up and document any problems. I then simply send an email to the vendor. Usually that afternoon or the next day i will get an invoice for replacements and due to my proximity to the vendor, they show up at my door the next day.

I have has some success in making some repairs to the LED strings. Just have to be very careful in doing so.

Chuck

blainedead wrote:

I answered your post on this earlier this morning over on PC.

Greg