Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller Load Calculator

Guest guest

Each string of lights come with a tag on the male plug that should state the amps of the string. I just checked on of my 100 string mini's and it is .34 Amp/40.8 Watts or 1.02 Amp/91 watts. verify if this tag is available.

jeffmill wrote:

RickWilliams wrote:
A new version of the Controller Calculator for 25 controllers is complete and is being beta tested now.

Rick,

Did you finish the sheet?

jeff

The current version released is C2.2 (on the web site: controllers/display tools), I have an updated version that I am working on, Michael from LORsequences.com has been giving a tremendous amount of great feedback and suggestions, like what about eight channel controllers or variables for single power (20 Amp) for a 16 channel controller plus many others.

The new version is pretty cool, quite a few changes, but I'm still working on the single power source, this changes the dynamics of the calculator considerably and will take some time to resolve a way that is easy for a novice user to input basic information effortlessly, Plus I am now full gear into my display and sequencing for this season which is taking most of my time.

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to this and a little confused right now.

Here is what I think I have read and understand about the two LOR1602W controllers.

1.) Each side of the controller can handle a maximum of 20 amps.

2.) You should never string more than three strands of lights together on one channel.

Now a question about the Load Calculator, I have Icicle lights with 300 bulbs per strand and the tag says LW-2 120V-0.51A 60HZ, How do I enter this into the light inventory?

Same question my strand lights (100 bulbs) tag says, 120v, 0.4a, 60hz

Thank you in advance for your help!

1.) Each side of the controller can handle a maximum of 20 amps.
- CORRECT

2.) You should never string more than three strands of lights together on one channel.
- Let me rephrase this - Never connect more than three strand together, you can have multiple strands connected to one channel as long as it does not exceed 8 AMPS per channel

3) Icicle lights with 300 bulbs per strand and the tag says LW-2 120V-0.51A 60HZ

You would enter on Light Types Tab, Name of your string, .0017 (.51/300=.0017 each) in the amps and select AMPS from the drop down menu of POWER TYPE. For the 100 you would enter .004 for the amps.

Do the same for each Type of light you have.

Attached files 85300=5164-Calc Sample.bmp

Rick,

Thanks again for a great spreadsheet. It has really come in handy. Not only for load calc., but I printed each of the sheets and hung them by my controller and show PC. When I'm sequencing I just glance up at the sheets if I need a reminder about anything. It has been a really big help getting my display ready.

Happy Decorating,

jeff

Jeff,

That's exactly what I do with the controller sheets, hang them on the wall! it gives me the detail I'm looking for regarding a particular string of lights, rather than the emphasis being on the channel, which looses the detail of the strings.

• 6 months later...

Hoping to have the 50 Controller Calculator workbook done soon, the 25 and 10 Controller Calculator workbooks are still available for download at:

http://www.quartzhillchristmas.com/12.html

Of course it's FREE!

Feel free to comment.

PS: I added my working copy of the workbook from 2006, full of inventory and 48 channels (3 Controllers) completed, this should give anyone a great idea on how it can be used.

I am so unsure but.............. are the calculations for LED lights correct? Would the numbers be different for the C6 vs. M6 sizes? I do not have a meter to test the amount of power a string of LEDs actually uses.

Great job Rick, the ver c of the spreadsheet is terrific. I was needing to sit down and look at the power reqiurements needed for my display. I will now have more time after I input my lights data, to plan and sequence the new controllers and features that I intend to implement this year.

LightAction wrote:

I am so unsure but.............. are the calculations for LED lights correct? Would the numbers be different for the C6 vs. M6 sizes? I do not have a meter to test the amount of power a string of LEDs actually uses.

I have never used LED's before so I can't state specifically, what does the electrical specifications state for each type?