Light-O-Rama Forums

Stupid Question #24 - C9 SPT2 Sockets

jimswinder

Just going to start wiring my Strobes, when I realized there was nothing with the C9 Sockets I bought on how to wire them.

So does it matter which pin (outer one against the threads or the center one at the bottom) of the C9 Socket gets the ribbed wire (neutral) on the SPT2 wire?

Attached files 205929=11448-c9 socket.jpg

The common (neutral wire) should go the side screw threads of the lamp socket)

The hot wire should go to the bottom tip of the socket

JBullard wrote:

The common (neutral wire) should go the side screw threads of the lamp socket)

The hot wire should go to the bottom tip of the socket

Good thing I asked...was going to do it just the opposite!! :shock:

THANKS!!!

Think of the C9 socket the same as a standard light socket used in your home. Both are used with 120 volts AC.

The neutral always goes to the side screw threads for safety. Think of if your closet light (single bare bulb) burnt out, and you started unscrewing it for replacement, and your fingers touched the side screw threads. If the socket was wired incorrectly, and the power was still applied, you would be touching the HOT side of the 120 volt line!

Even worse could happen in an outdoor application where the gtound could be wet.

JBullard wrote:

Think of if your closet light (single bare bulb) burnt out, and you started unscrewing it for replacement, and your fingers touched the side screw threads. If the socket was wired incorrectly, and the power was still applied, you would be touching the HOT side of the 120 volt line!

Sometimes (all the time?) I don't think to think... :?