Light-O-Rama Forums

Subdivide vs Insert MultipleTimings

jimswinder

Ok...I put some timing marks into a part of a song using the Tapper Wizard, and now I want to divide between those marks EQUALLY with 40 timing marks.

So which is better to use to get those EQUAL timing marks? The Subdivide or the Insert Multiple?

I tried both and neither one seems to give me equal timing marks.
Should one (or both) be giving me equal timing marks?

Perhaps I need to reinstall my software, becasue I am having issues with the Tapper Wizard also.

Attached files 205852=11440-Timing Marks.jpg

I use insert multiple. Just use 1 less than the spaces you want. Say you have an arch leap with 8 channels and you want 8 equal spaces between point a and point b. You want to add 7 multiple timings equally and that gives you your 8 cells between point a and b because after all the point a to point b is already 1 cell.

Jim in the pic are those timing marks already there when you try to subdivide? Or is that the result of your division? I believe the issue is the fact that LOR will only go 1/100th of a second. So with the timing marks you started out with you cannot get even spaces unless you goto 1/1000 of a second. LOR will even it out as best it can as in my pic.

I've had this same issue before but after I watched the sequence outside you cannot tell. Were talking about 1/100th of a second thats so fast your eye can't see the difference between 1 or 2 100th

Attached files 205857=11441-Capture.JPG

Jim,

Try this: select the range of time in which you want the effect to occur. Then "delete selected timings" in that range. Then subdivide that single length of time into however many segments you need for the effect.

George Simmons wrote:

Jim,

Try this: select the range of time in which you want the effect to occur. Then "delete selected timings" in that range. Then subdivide that single length of time into however many segments you need for the effect.

That is what I did...

Darryl Lambert wrote:

Jim in the pic are those timing marks already there when you try to subdivide? Or is that the result of your division? I believe the issue is the fact that LOR will only go 1/100th of a second. So with the timing marks you started out with you cannot get even spaces unless you goto 1/1000 of a second. LOR will even it out as best it can as in my pic.

Those are the results of my subdivison.

I am trying to divided 4.06 seconds into 40 cells, which should come out to .1015 second per cell.

Is that too accurate for LOR to handle?

jimswinder wrote:

I am trying to divided 4.06 seconds into 40 cells, which should come out to .1015 second per cell.
Looking at your pic it's 0.56 seconds aprox ( give or take a hundreth ) Which would give you timings of 0.014

Is that too accurate for LOR to handle?
S2 only goes to 1/100th of a second or 0.01 This is why there will be different size timings in your example. From my experience you will not notice that one is on a hundreth of a second more or less than the other.

You could always try and make a quick animation with those timings and plug a few strings in to try in the evening. If your unsure.:P

Darryl Lambert wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

Looking at your pic it's 0.56 seconds aprox ( give or take a hundreth ) Which would give you timings of 0.014

**The picture is AFTER I subdivided a cell into 40 cells.**

Timings are always exactly at centisecond boundaries, so if the number of cells you divide the time range into don't divide evenly into that time range in the scale of centiseconds, then some cells will be larger than other cells.

The software tries to make each individual timing mark as close as possible to what its "real" time would be, given that each individual timing mark must be right on a centisecond.

Thanks Bob - that info answered a couple of questions I've always had but didn't quite know how to articulate.

• 2 weeks later...

another thing you can do is once you have subdivided the area into the new timing sections is to select the entire area then do a "Resize to equal timings" It will compress everything down for the number of channels selected. You can undo and retry this a couple of times till you get the right timing spacing that you want. The other thing you can do is use the "resize timings to..." and tell it exactly how long to make each timing cell and it will evenly space them out for you

jimswinder wrote:

Ok...I put some timing marks into a part of a song using the Tapper Wizard, and now I want to divide between those marks EQUALLY with 40 timing marks.

So which is better to use to get those EQUAL timing marks? The Subdivide or the Insert Multiple?

I tried both and neither one seems to give me equal timing marks.
Should one (or both) be giving me equal timing marks?

Perhaps I need to reinstall my software, becasue I am having issues with the Tapper Wizard also.

How do you take a screen shot like this?

The beat wizard is better to use than the tapper wizzard.

We had Dan at our Philly Mini - he uses the beat wizard, turns one one channel to show the beats. Then works from there...

I used to sub-divide my timings. But in one of our Philly get togethers I found out that it is better to create a bunch of timings. So now I use the beat wizard that puts the lights on duing the beat. Then I create a .20, a .10 a .05 and a .03 timing. This year seems better working with all the different timings than the subdivided beats.