Light-O-Rama Forums

mega tree or weber tree?

Ralph D

Hey everyone, I need some help. Last year after 5 great seasons my mega tree fell to its death....thank god it was in January. Anyway in the last two weeks I’ve been thinking of doing the Weber tree, but it’s still very confessing to me. I wish I had the room for both but I don’t, so I have to pick between the two, so which should I pick.

What are your pros and con’s on this.

Secondly has anyone put together a power point on how to make it, or a video or anything more detailed and step by step yet, I really would like to see how hard it is to make and sequence.

Thanks everyone.

Think outside the box, I Vote for a mega tree with a weber tree in the middle of it.
As for a power point or video of construction notes on a weber...I'll leave that to the person that put one up in a a day.

The mega tree I built several years ago, incorporates the standard look of the mega tree and the swirl of a "weber" tree.

I overlayed mini lights over the top of the guy wires. this significantly increased the strength of the tree.( we generally will have a couple of days of 70+mph winds per year). this is one of my biggest channel hogs requiring 45 channels

• 3 weeks later...

cenote wrote:

Think outside the box, I Vote for a mega tree with a weber tree in the middle of it.
As for a power point or video of construction notes on a weber...I'll leave that to the person that put one up in a a day.

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing this year. I love my Mega tree, I also love the looks of the Weber tree but I don't have room for both. So why not combine them? But I do have questions, number one: on their web site http://weberchristmas.snappages.com/f-a-q.htm they describe the construction of the tree and that it only uses 16 channels, but is each channel only controlling one string of lights or does one channel go up and then back down? I know that it does take two sets of lights from top to bottom from their description because of the height, but the tree does look pretty full if it only has 16 columns of lights.

Second, the top of my Mega tree pole is about 17 feet (20 foot pole 3 feet in the ground,) so I was thinking that my Weber tree base should be somewhere between 5-7 feet and probably only 8 channels.

Does this sound about right?

That’s just it. I have no idea either. it would be great if someone did a power point on it getting into detail on how they made there’s. I’ve been doing a lot of reading but i have not come up with a right answer yet. For me, I guess the Webber tree can wait another season. I rather finish the couple of new songs I’m working on and fix and build a few smaller things. I have 4 mini arches to finish yet. Oh and by the way, I do a non trunk mega tree ...10 ft and my base ring is 7ft round. It gives me a fuller look I think.

Ralph D wrote:

That’s just it. I have no idea either. it would be great if someone did a power point on it getting into detail on how they made there’s. I’ve been doing a lot of reading but i have not come up with a right answer yet. For me, I guess the Webber tree can wait another season. I rather finish the couple of new songs I’m working on and fix and build a few smaller things. I have 4 mini arches to finish yet. Oh and by the way, I do a non trunk mega tree ...10 ft and my base ring is 7ft round. It gives me a fuller look I think.

I also do a non trunk Mega tree, I just pile the lights in and around the base of the tree, kind of a cool effect. This year my wife wants me to take those left over lights and build a mni tree inside the Mega tree.

I think your "crude" attempt came out pretty darn good!! I'm also planning on the spiral inside the mega. I will have a 17' mega and an 8' spiral inside. I put together the spiral a few weeks ago. What I did was simple - hooked the string end at the header hook and walked the lights around. Worked very well. Again, it's only 8'.

I like it too. I'm going to try something like that on my tree too this year. I have 150 ft. of red rope light that I have never used. This will be a great way to put some of it to use. Thanks for sharing the video Richard.

Richard M wrote:

My crude attempt to do both. Mini mega and spiral tree.

http://vimeo.com/13533928

Just some guessing here, but are we looking at maybe 7 foot tall and what a 3 foot base? And how many channels are you using per tree?

I still plan on my Mega tree top at 17 feet tall with a 10 foot base, but not sure how tall the Weber will be, somewhere close to that I'm thinking. But it's the height to base ratio I'm not too sure about. Plus I'm not too sure on how many channels to make the Weber. My Mega tree is only using 24 channels, but each channel is 4 verticle strings of lights.

The tree is eight feet high with a 4 foot base. Reason for height is that it's going on my front porch. That the highest it can go. I don't have much land on my property. The snow gets high on my little front lawn, so I made it for the porch. It has 16 channels of clear, 16 channels of red and 8 channels of rope. Someday maybe I"ll figure a way and place to put a bigger tree. That's the problem with a 40 X 100 ft lot and mostly house on it. Maybe I could expand to my neighbors. Who knows! At least I"m having fun.

Richard M wrote:

The tree is eight feet high with a 4 foot base. Reason for height is that it's going on my front porch. That the highest it can go. I don't have much land on my property. The snow gets high on my little front lawn, so I made it for the porch. It has 16 channels of clear, 16 channels of red and 8 channels of rope. Someday maybe I"ll figure a way and place to put a bigger tree. That's the problem with a 40 X 100 ft lot and mostly house on it. Maybe I could expand to my neighbors. Who knows! At least I"m having fun.

Fun isn't it making a display for a small front yard. I know all about it. Our yard is 50' x 150', but the front yard is only 32 feet deep.

So like you I went with a 11ft tree on the front porch with a 6ft base in 2008.

In 2009 our front porch became 30ft wide by 8ft deep and it housed two 11ft trees both 32 channels each.

Why can't you go 10ft high with your tree with a 6ft base? Any pictures of your front yard?

Attached files 207680=11533-house 004.JPG

Ralph D wrote:

Hey everyone, I need some help. Last year after 5 great seasons my mega tree fell to its death....thank god it was in January. Anyway in the last two weeks I’ve been thinking of doing the Weber tree, but it’s still very confussing to me. I wish I had the room for both but I don’t, so I have to pick between the two, so which should I pick.

What are your pros and con’s on this.

Secondly has anyone put together a power point on how to make it, or a video or anything more detailed and step by step yet, I really would like to see how hard it is to make and sequence.

Thanks everyone.

I would do like others have suggested and make a Weber tree within a Mega tree.

What would it hurt to do that?

Perhaps turn the center pole of the tree(s) into a "Fire Stick" for more added effects.

Just a thought

lightzilla wrote:

Richard M wrote:

Fun isn't it making a display for a small front yard. I know all about it. Our yard is 50' x 150', but the front yard is only 32 feet deep.

So like you I went with a 11ft tree on the front porch with a 6ft base in 2008.

In 2009 our front porch became 30ft wide by 8ft deep and it housed two 11ft trees both 32 channels each.

Why can't you go 10ft high with your tree with a 6ft base? Any pictures of your front yard?

From the floor of my porch to the ceiling is 8 1/2 feet. From the porch steps to the city sidewalk is 12 feet. The width of my front yard is 40 ft. with a sidewalk from the porch steps to the city sidewalk. I have a "share the driveway", so can't go there. On the other side of the house, my house is 5 feet from the property line. You can see how limited my area is. That's city living for you. The only good thing is that you get alot of traffic going past that will stop and view the display. The display is like right in your face when you stand in front of my house or sit in your car. I had people stand in front with portable radios watching. The thing I did worry about was that kids could easily vandalize it. I was lucky nobody did. When you view my video you can see the front lawn. http://vimeo.com/13432171