Light-O-Rama Forums

off topic question about flag poles

TitusCarnathan

This really has nonething to do with lights or related but I dont know who really to ask

down at our fire company the rope on our 25 foot flag pole came off

does anybody know of any tricks to get it reattached without having to climb up the flag pole

thanks

Excuse me for being a smart ass, but doesn't your fire company have a ladder or a tower truck?

;)

D.T.

Assuming you have to get the rope around a pulley at the top, I can't think of a way to do it that doesn't involve getting access to the top (either via a ladder, etc or bringing down the pole)

we dont have an aieral truck (ladder turuck)

and we have nonething to prop the extension ladder up against

I would shimmy up the pole and feed it across the pulley. You could also rent a bucket truck or prop a ladder up against it...or ask another department's ladder truck to give you a hand.

Since most flagpoles can't hold the weight of an adult male, I'd recommend using a child - say a ten-year-old - and have him/her shinny up the pole like Luke suggested. Promise him/her a pre-paid cell phone or a $20 Dairy Queen gift certificate or something like that if he/she succeeds - lots cheaper than renting a bucket truck.

you could use a very tall folding ladder, like a apple picking ladder, I would not advise sending a kid up the poll, I would ask the closest town next to you to help out if no other way works. Other fire departments I’m sure would love helping out. or have one of the cops in town stop a Verizon truck or pse&g truck, I know around here most of those trucks have the buckets on top of them to be able to get to wires in the air....or have the town buy you a new flag pole. Or have the town vote on getting a ladder truck to be able to work on the flagpole.

Or some really fun ways would be…..

Rent a helicopter,

Call in the navy!....

Train to white doves, one carries the rope to the pulley, the other dove waiting on the other side of the pulley pulls the rope through the pulley and back down to the base.

Use too trampolines one on each side of the poll...you get the idea on that one. ..Now you can use the kids in town on this one.

Use the guy in the circus that shoots out of the cannon.

Oh this is getting fun.

next idea!

you must be able to borrow a ladder from the park, if you still work there, even if you don’t I’m sure if you tell them it’s for the fire department they would bend the rules this one time.

Ralph D wrote:

you could use a very tall folding ladder, like a apple picking ladder, I would not advise sending a kid up the poll, I would ask the closest town next to you to help out if no other way works. Other fire departments I’m sure would love helping out. or have one of the cops in town stop a Verizon truck or pse&g truck, I know around here most of those trucks have the buckets on top of them to be able to get to wires in the air....or have the town buy you a new flag pole. Or have the town vote on getting a ladder truck to be able to work on the flagpole.

Or some really fun ways would be…..

Rent a helicopter,

Call in the navy!....

Train to white doves, one carries the rope to the pulley, the other dove waiting on the other side of the pulley pulls the rope through the pulley and back down to the base.

Use too trampolines one on each side of the poll...you get the idea on that one. ..Now you can use the kids in town on this one.

Use the guy in the circus that shoots out of the cannon.

Oh this is getting fun.

next idea!

Call in the Golden Knights sky diving team, drop in and hang the rope on the way down.

Cut your phone wires down and then report your phones out with downed lines, when the phone company sends the truck to fix the lines talk the repairman into using the bucket to fix your flag poll.

T110431 wrote:

we dont have an aieral truck (ladder turuck)

and we have nonething to prop the extension ladder up against

prop it up against the flagpole. If the ladder is pretty much straight up and down, most of the weight of the person will be carried thru to the ground and not the pole...and you could always use two burly firefighters to hold the ladder to also relieve any force against the pole.

If you pretend you have to string some lights to the top of the pole...you would find a way up there!!! :shock:

It sounds like you might be small rural fire department. Go to the local hunting shop and find a bow hunter. Attach a small line, like fishing line, and have the archer shoot a small arrow through the pulley on top. Then tread the rope through.

Good luck

Try hiring one of those folks that are good at telekinesis. Try 1-800-tele-are-us! They should be able to just think the rope up, or try Chris Angel, maybe he could leviatate that high and just thread a rope while he is up their.

If you guy have been watching America's Got Talent, we can get guy that throws playing cards to attach that fishing line to one of his cards. He seemed pretty accurate.

Unfortunately I think you are going to have to rent a Zoom Boom to repair that flag pole, thats what we had to do at work when we lost our rope.