Light-O-Rama Forums

How many?!????

Mouse51180

I see some people saying they have 64, 112, 160 channels...one guy even has 176 channels.

If you can 16 channels per LOR box..does this mean the guy with the 176 channels has 11 LOR box all daisy chained together? or is there a part of these larger setups that I am missing?

Mouse51180 wrote:

I see some people saying they have 64, 112, 160 channels...one guy even has 176 channels.

If you can 16 channels per LOR box..does this mean the guy with the 176 channels has 11 LOR box all daisy chained together? or is there a part of these larger setups that I am missing?

You aren't missing anything. Many people (myself included) have even more than 176 channels. I have 13 LOR units. They are all daisy chained.

That's about the long and short of it.

Granted, when you get into DMX and the Color Cosmic Ribbon channel counts can be figured more than one way. However, when dealing regular controllers, you have it down.

(And if you have 192 channels, you have 12 controllers all linked up. WonderlandChristmas.com for my videos.)

Frank Picozzi wrote

You aren't missing anything. Many people (myself included) have even more than 176 channels. I have 13 LOR units. They are all daisy chained.

Frank, With 13 units are you using one network or do you have it split up? I know there was some discussion a few weeks back but I dont remember the details on at what point you need to start breaking up the set up onto separate network lines. I will have 7 units plus a CCR and I hope to not have any network problems. also due to the arrangement of my yard I plan to have 4 of the units but not the CCR running on the ELL.

Thanks for your comments.

Rick

huskernut wrote:

Frank Picozzi wrote

Frank, With 13 units are you using one network or do you have it split up? I know there was some discussion a few weeks back but I dont remember the details on at what point you need to start breaking up the set up onto separate network lines. I will have 7 units plus a CCR and I hope to not have any network problems. also due to the arrangement of my yard I plan to have 4 of the units but not the CCR running on the ELL.

Thanks for your comments.

Rick
Rick, last year I had 9 units all on one network with no issues at all. I'll do the same this year and don't anticipate any problems. I know lots of others that run even more on a single network. I use only one ELL just to get it from the computer to the outside without running Cat5 out the window.

Rick: the largest part of this that burns your computers capacity is the sequence editor where you actually make or modify the sequneces you are going to use. I have a dell Laptop that is used solely for LOR. Once the sequences are done and the show is set and scheduled it takes very little capacity to run those controllers. When I get to this point then I also take down the internet connections and e-mails to this unit so it is truely only needing to run the show. You will fing a lot of us have our "show" computer. Seperate unit than the everyday unit we do our on line banking, browsing the net, etc on. Also make sure you are always backing up both the sequence files as well as the music files to a disc or flash drive for safety.

Lenny

LENNY RUEL wrote:

Rick: the largest part of this that burns your computers capacity is the sequence editor where you actually make or modify the sequneces you are going to use. I have a dell Laptop that is used solely for LOR. Once the sequences are done and the show is set and scheduled it takes very little capacity to run those controllers. When I get to this point then I also take down the internet connections and e-mails to this unit so it is truely only needing to run the show. You will fing a lot of us have our "show" computer. Seperate unit than the everyday unit we do our on line banking, browsing the net, etc on. Also make sure you are always backing up both the sequence files as well as the music files to a disc or flash drive for safety.

Lenny

Just want to add a bit to what Lenny has stated, also make sure you turn off your screen saver and be sure that you disable Windows automatic updates. I didn't do that the first year and when windows was finished downloading an update, it rebooted right in the middle of the show. Of course that wasn't my biggest screw up, that would be the time I forgot to plug in the laptop and the battery died right in the middle of the show.

Last year I had a Mini-Director running 23 controllers (368 Channels) on one network with no problems

I dont have enough controllers at this time to worry about having to seperate to two networks.

But I will give you this bit of wisdom. No two set-ups are the same and someone might be able to run XX units while another can only run 75% of that number. Reasons are one guy might have more noise on his comm cable than the next guy. Also depends on your sequencing technic. Meaning that if you have more activity this will load down the network more so fewer controllers before splitting the network.

So, there is no exact numbers can be applied that covers all installations. But being aware that there is a limitation and what it looks like will be of help to you one day.

Max-Paul wrote:

I dont have enough controllers at this time to worry about having to seperate to two networks.

But I will give you this bit of wisdom. No two set-ups are the same and someone might be able to run XX units while another can only run 75% of that number. Reasons are one guy might have more noise on his comm cable than the next guy. Also depends on your sequencing technic. Meaning that if you have more activity this will load down the network more so fewer controllers before splitting the network.

So, there is no exact numbers can be applied that covers all installations. But being aware that there is a limitation and what it looks like will be of help to you one day.

So to sum up, you have absolutely nothing to add to this thread?;)

b_Regal78 wrote:

I know I don't have anything to add. That's why I posted here...

You aren't even going to mention the sale that only has a couple days left?

Frank Picozzi wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:

So to sum up, you have absolutely nothing to add to this thread?:)

I'm sorry Frank. Would you prefer that I lower my writing skills from 6th grade to maybe 2nd grade? I would not want to leave you out in the cold.

Besides, I am trying to raise my post count. And look at you, post count whore. :(

Max-Paul wrote:

Frank Picozzi wrote:
Max-Paul wrote:

So to sum up, you have absolutely nothing to add to this thread?:)

I'm sorry Frank. Would you prefer that I lower my writing skills from 6th grade to maybe 2nd grade? I would not want to leave you out in the cold.

Besides, I am trying to raise my post count. And look at you, post count whore. :(
Hey Max, this isn't the Sorry thread. Not only do you have the wrong thread, you're on the wrong forum. Get it together man!!:)