Light-O-Rama Forums

Unknown File Extension

Robert G.

When I finish downloading a sequence, I click to open it and it says Windows needs to know what program was used to create the file, so I click LOR Sequence Editor and before it opens it says "Unknown File Extension" and it doesn't open. Is there any way to fix this because I recently downloaded Believe In Holiday Magic which is extremely hard to find and I can't open it.

--Thanks!

Well when they downloaded they were in .ZIP files. I also just downloaded sequences from a different site and they were in .ZIP too but they opened just find.

I did some extracting and now the sequence files are showing the light bulb icon as they weren't before. But even when I have all the files out and unzipped, it still tells me it's unknown...

You will need to provide more info.

What version of LOR are you using?

What type of file are you trying to open ? i.e. las,lasbak,lms

If you are unsure of the type just right click the file and select properties.

Robert.

A .vix file is not a file that is known to LOR.

A LOR sequence file will have a .las file extension for an animation sequence or .lms file extension for a musical sequence.

Chuck

Sorry never heard of it. I googled it and all I found was that you probably have "Errors in your registry are one of the common causes for incorrect file associations "

Where did you download it from?

Could you post with an attachment of the sequence ?

Robert G. wrote:

This is where I downloaded it from. Its the one labeled "LOR 2008"

http://mysite.verizon.net/gslodysko/

I followed your link and downloaded the zip file LOR 2008.zip. There are 8 .LMS files in it, 2 .MP3 files and 7 wave files.

I dont see anything else including a .VIX file or "believe in holiday magic"

I am still a bit unclear, is believe in holiday magic the one that is .VIX? it does not seem to have come from this zip file. Also the .LMS files in this zip file open in sequence editor fine for me.

A .vix extension is a sequence file created by Vixen sequencing software and is not compatible with LOR.

T110431 wrote:

according to http://filext.com/file-extension/vix

it has nonething to do with a light equipment but I was thinking vix could it be tied to vixen software

If you go to the forums on vixenlights.com you will find that .vix is the sequence files for Vixen software. http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

huskernut wrote:

Robert G. wrote:
This is where I downloaded it from. Its the one labeled "LOR 2008"

http://mysite.verizon.net/gslodysko/

I followed your link and downloaded the zip file LOR 2008.zip. There are 8 .LMS files in it, 2 .MP3 files and 7 wave files.

I dont see anything else including a .VIX file or "believe in holiday magic"

I am still a bit unclear, is believe in holiday magic the one that is .VIX? it does not seem to have come from this zip file. Also the .LMS files in this zip file open in sequence editor fine for me.
I agree with huskernut, I think you may have provided us with the wrong link. Can you verify it and get back to us?

I believe Tony from Palombo Lights shared a vixen sequence for "Believe In" on the DIYChristmas website. It is a zipped file and the sequence file is .vix Maybe this is where it originally came from.
There is a 192 channel LOR file from Dean Taunton's website if that helps.

Richard

Somebody found the problem for me. All the files were infact .VIX (for vixen) and they were originally posted under a LOR title. Thanks to everyone that helped.