Light-O-Rama Forums

chasing lights

Terry Hurrle

Is there some type of controller out there to say make a group of something like candy canes chase with out using a lor controller to do it and save channels?
Thanks

I have found a few on ebay that were reasonable.
Before I knew about LOR I bought from these guys
http://www.flashtracklighting.com/chaser_light_controllers.htm
very well made, but to be honest with their pricing I'd buy the PC16 version instead.
I also see that http://actionlighting.com has some much more reasonable, but I do not know much about them. Their Item # 204CH/501S has a sound chip and has 5 preset chases with speed control for $68.30

One more thing I have also seen someone take a regular chasing mini light strand and cut off the wires to use it's controller by adding plugs, but you would not be able to put many lights on it since those chasers are usually for 35 lights per channel, With LED probably more.

jerryb721 wrote:

One more thing I have also seen someone take a regular chasing mini light strand and cut off the wires to use it's controller by adding plugs, ...
The SCR's in these (they're are rectified AC) can handle no more than 1/2 an amp. The diodes in these are used for all channels, so the total maybe less.

I am assumming you are still wanting to sequence these items in time with the music, but you are not worried about the fading and such. What I have done for items like that is, I have a 96 channel digital I/O board that controls 15 amp solid state relays just so I have ON/OFF on those channels. I use it for various things such as what you are looking for. I also use it to turn on "Tune Radio To" signs or anything that I don't want to waist a precious LOR fadable channel on.

ErnieHorning wrote:

jerryb721 wrote:
One more thing I have also seen someone take a regular chasing mini light strand and cut off the wires to use it's controller by adding plugs, ...
The SCR's in these (they're are rectified AC) can handle no more than 1/2 an amp. The diodes in these are used for all channels, so the total maybe less.

Before my LOR days I use to take these controllers that Jerry is talking about and put a larger bridge rectifier in it and 15 amp SCR's and run all of my Multimode lights from one controller. That could work for what you are looking for if your friend is not wanting syncronization with music. Keep in mind if you go that route, you need to beef up the solder runs on the circuit board to handle the extra current.

kzaas wrote:

I am assumming you are still wanting to sequence these items in time with the music, but you are not worried about the fading and such. What I have done for items like that is, I have a 96 channel digital I/O board that controls 15 amp solid state relays just so I have ON/OFF on those channels. I use it for various things such as what you are looking for. I also use it to turn on "Tune Radio To" signs or anything that I don't want to waist a precious LOR fadable channel on.

Can you please give a little more info on the I/O board you speak of. I would love to have a few on/off channels.

Geez, looking at those two sites and their stand alone chasers. Well all I can say is that even the cheaper ones for 4 channels is almost the same price as a PC controller now while it is on sale. Nice thing about it, is that you still have 12 more channels that you can use for something else. So, really why would someone want one of these dedicated controllers over a PC controller? This is not getting the biggest bang for the buck. Unless lets say you want to chase your candy canes all night, but turn off the LOR computer or Showtime controller?

Sorry if this sounds like a cold wet rag review. But I just can not see any reason to buy a 4 channel dedicated controller for a few bucks less (but not by far cheaper).

Donny M. Carter wrote:

kzaas wrote:

Can you please give a little more info on the I/O board you speak of. I would love to have a few on/off channels.

PM sent

Max-Paul wrote:

Geez, looking at those two sites and their stand alone chasers. Well all I can say is that even the cheaper ones for 4 channels is almost the same price as a PC controller now while it is on sale. Nice thing about it, is that you still have 12 more channels that you can use for something else. So, really why would someone want one of these dedicated controllers over a PC controller? This is not getting the biggest bang for the buck. Unless lets say you want to chase your candy canes all night, but turn off the LOR computer or Showtime controller?

Sorry if this sounds like a cold wet rag review. But I just can not see any reason to buy a 4 channel dedicated controller for a few bucks less (but not by far cheaper).

I agree with you and those stand alones look like they were just built in someones garage. Although Terry never did say how many channels he was looking for I think the PC controller would be the best way to go, plus it gives way for future expansion.

I use my controllers for this option. I was just trying to locate these for a new person who is trying to have chasing elements but only has 16 channels. I have enough to do my chases. If I buy ant more controllers my wife will be chasing me out of the house
Terry

Hi Terry,

Since he already has a controller what about using one of LOR 8 channel controllers?
They are a bit cheaper and a controller like these will give him more options later.

I bought 2 4 channel controllers on Ebay for $50 each incl. shipping a couple years back and they do a great job of chasing, plus are switchable to several different ways to chase. Maybe you can look there every now and then.
I couldn't find his ebay store but here is the email i had listed lightrics"at"yahoo.com that my paypal payment went to

Thanks Jerry I will pass it along. I have several controllers from chasing lights I offered him that he could probably use if needed. Nothing like LOR to make it simple though.