Light-O-Rama Forums

Ideas for a project

Dad02

Looking for some help on a project that I'm about to start. The project involves standing 4" PVC on end to look similar to a north pole. Problem is that I don't know what to anchor it with in the frozen snow. My thought is to develop some type of base that will allow me to remove the pole and wait till spring to remove the base. The base needs to support the 10' long 4" pvc perfectly straight. -Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I would cement a "sleeve", big enough to accommodate the 4" PVC, into the ground.

Then you wouldn't have to worry about removing a base come spring time.

After removing the pole, you can cap off the sleeve with a PVC cap.

I would put a 5" PVC pipe, cemented, in the ground. You can get a piece of 5" PVC from a well driller or well drilling supply company. Usually a well driller will have some 5" PVC pieces laying around. You will have to extend your 4" PVC so you will have the 10' height that your wanting. You could cut off a piece of 4" to "just" stick out of the 5"pvc then glue a coupling on it. The coupler will give it a little support by resting on top of the 5". Also if you want to disguise your 5" PVC, you can use a lawn sprinkler valve "vault". These plastic vaults have a green lid so you can remove the lid to access your 5" sleeve.

I have a 4" PVC North pole. I used a cap and then drilled a hole in the middle. Then I heated and bent a piece of rebar and I hammer that down into the hold and ground. That keeps the bottom in place, then I just use 3 guy wires down to ground stakes.
I'll admit, I don't really like the guy wires, however I don't plan on living at my current address for more than a year, So I don't want to concrete anything into the ground. maybe the next house I will though.

If you don't want something permanent or any guy wires, you could drive a 6' t-post into the ground and wrap it with bubble wrap or carpet padding to fill the space between the post and the inside of the 4" PVC, and slide it over the top.

Home Depot has them for around $6.00 ea.

fence_smipost_02.jpg

BrianC wrote:

Great ideas, Thank you.

What do you have in mind with the 10ft 4" pole? What do yo uthink about the cement hole idea?