Light-O-Rama Forums

A true reason for what we do.

evan.a

I had a very interesting night, and wanted to share it with you all.

For this is the true reason why we do this. not for fame or glory. Who has the most lights or controllers. Not for who has the best sequence, (and wined) why didn't I win a contest...

My wife and I went into town to buy a bottle of wine, (Duplin,scuppernong)( try it, ask for. a very good bottle of wine)

While standing in line, a very little boy, about 5 was in front of us. He looked at me and said, "This is all we can afford." "My nana died a little bit ago and my mommy is very sad and has very little money."

I looked at my wife, than looked at his mother. She said he's love to talk. I went down on one knee and asked. " what is your very best time of the year that you like?" He put his finger in his mouth and said " my birthday, cause I get presents."

I looked down at the ground and smiled, and told him "well mine is Christmas, because I can give a gift to alot of people."

I tried to explain how he can sit in front of my house, and listen on his radio to my music. and watch my house blink to the music, and enjoy what I love to do to bring a smile to everyone. I told him, "the only fee I charge is a big smile." "Every night is free, and I change the selection of music that I play every night. So your mommy and you can come back, as much as you want."

He started jumping up and down and asked his momma if he could go see it. I gave her my address and told her to look at the town post if she loses my address.

She looked at me, with a tear in her eye. and told me "Thank you." and was very choked up.

I looked at her and told her, "That's what Christmas is all about...."

And for all you savages, no I didn't pay for her groceries. I only had ten bucks on me.

That pretty much sums up the reason I do this. Last year, my first, every time I went outside and somebody came up to me and said thank you, I forgot about all the hours it took to make it all happen and went back inside with a lump in my throat. I thought maybe I was a little bit of a sissy for choking up, but then you post this and I don't think I am. This is what makes me happy, so I will continue for as long as one person stops and says "Thank you".

Guest wbottomley

Evan... Dan and I talked at the Philly mini today and it seems that some of us lose the concept of what we're doing during the off season.

So, to that note, minus the fussing and fighting, we're all in the same game! Now, let's finish and win!

I always have people stopping in front if I'm out working in the yard saying how much they liked the show last year and asking if I'm doing it again this year. It's really neat. I'm painting the house from dark Teal with Rust colored trim to Tan with Burgundy trim and have even had a few of the neighbors say it should look good with the lights. Lots are asking what I have planned like they expect something to change knowing me. But I do love talking about it with people, the hows,whys etc.

Lenny

I cant even began to agree with your story and I am very happy you could offer that little child a small gift of your lights and what that means to us all. not a day goes by that i'm not thinking of what i could do for people less fortunate then me...not that i live on the high hog, my family and I have had two of the toughest years I have ever seen in my life, and we almost didn't light last year because we didn't know were the funds were coming from to pay for the lights being on. anyway, we left it in the big guys hands and as he always does, we found a way! yours was a great story, and thanks for sharing it with us.