Light-O-Rama Forums

Yard Sale --- Score

toddmoon

My wife had me drive her to some yard sales today. I had no interest in them and was just the driver. While I was waiting at one I noticed a box of lights.

I went ahead and got out and found three large boxes of various lights LEDs, ropes, and incandescent. One box was brand new LED that had never been opened.

I went up to the seller ready bargain hard on the price. I asked how much they told me five bucks. I asked are you sure? Yep.

Score one for me. I just hope half of them work.

toddmoon wrote:

My wife had me drive her to some yard sales today. I had no interest in them and was just the driver. While I was waiting at one I noticed a box of lights.

I went ahead and got out and found three large boxes of various lights LEDs, ropes, and incandescent. One box was brand new LED that had never been opened.

I went up to the seller ready bargain hard on the price. I asked how much they told me five bucks. I asked are you sure? Yep.

Score one for me. I just hope half of them work.

Share the wealth my friend.

In a way it was kinda like a great Christmas present for me. I have some new props I wanting to build and these boxes had a lot of various lights that I can use for my new props.

So far I have found three green rope lights and about 10 rope light ends to plug into rope lights. Most of the LED lights are new in the box 35 light count and are the round bulb type of shape. Not my favorite but for five bucks and five boxes of them that have never been opened who am I to complain.

The other incandescent lights look like 300 count commerical grade lights. It has been like Christmas for me all weekend just going through them trying to see what I have and trying to figure out how I am going to use them.

This was a large yard sale and when people saw me picking up all of the boxes of light two other box fulls got taken before I could get to them. Funny how that works. They had been out all day with no interest and I go in at the end of the day and just start stacking up the lights and then there is a run on to get what ever was left by everyone else. Funny thing is it was not where I live so they do not know what a light aholic I am.

toddmoon wrote:

Funny thing is it was not where I live so they do not know what a light aholic I am.

You gotta watch out for those enablers...they'll ruin you!!! :D

Great find! Something similar happened to me last year, I found at a yard sale a large box of tangled extension cords, I bought the entire box for 50 cents, it ended up being about 35 cords of various length once I untangled them all. Sometimes you can get great deals at yard sales.

• 3 weeks later...

Score yet again. Took my wife yard saling again Saturday. Found a place that had a couple of decroative tree's a 5', 4', and 3' artifical tree and 10 4' tall cactus's. All of it for $10.00. The cactus need a new paint job and some rehab on the cactus limbs.

I am not sure weather to drill holes in the cactus or try to outline them with the green rope lights that I picked up last week.

So going with your wife to yard sales can actually payoff and save you time and money if you can find props to use for next to nothing on the cost. B O N U S ! ! !

Last weekend, I went with a friend looking for lights, unfortunately i didn't find very many lights, but I did get some garland. All of it was $6.99, there were about 20 or more strands, and I got them all for $15!!! It was a good deal to me!

Jesse

Going to yard sales if nothing at all, will at least get you brownie points with the wife. Provided she invited you to join her. So what if you end up being the chaufer and hauler if it is to big for her to carry.

Then like the OP, there might be something there that you wanted too.

I have not been real hip on going to yard sales with the wife. However each time I have gone with her I have managed to find something useful including today again.

My wife asked me today if I felt like the Grinch that stole Christmas because when I show up I make an offer to just buy all of the Christmas stuff they have for a really cheap price. Sometimes they take the first offer and sometimes we barter. I never go past 10 cents on the dollar on my offers and so my wife called me the Grinch today.

I figure what the heck no one else seems to be interested until I make an offer and then someone else wanted something after I purchase all of their inventory.

I have been working on buying more display trees to add to my Christmas wonderland theme. I also purchased 10 5 foot tall cactus displays. I am not sure if that really goes with Christmas tree winter wonder land display but for 10 bucks I could not pass up the deal. I will use them somewhere.

A lot of the inventory I purchased today were items that have never been opened and still had the price tags on them from the original item from the stores.

I guess I am the Grinch now.

Funny thing is I do not feel like the Grinch. I feel more like a little kid on Christmas morning who getting all kinds of gifts that I will get to play with for years to come.

Getting to add to my display for pennies on the dollar just makes it all the more fun. Once I have completed all of the trees I need for the winter wonderland display then I am going to work on creating a Mega tree as the center piece of it all. It is all just more lights and channels. I just have to plan on how I am going to put the money together to buy all the LED lights and controllers needed to complete the Mega tree and Robbin wheels.