Light-O-Rama Forums

JUMP - Jack Up Mega Pole - Updates

brownjm74

Just letting everyone know that Walter has made some improvements to the JUMP. These improvements will make the JUMP safer and increases the stability. Now available on my website is the video update, a new “bill of materials” aka price list, my outline from my presentation at LUO (Light-Up-Ohio) Mini, and a few additional tips for building a JUMP.

Link to Updates: http://jbhobby.weebly.com/mega-tree.html

I know what yopu mean, I can have a bucket truck come out for $50.00 and pick mine up and set it into place.

• 3 months later...

Is there a way just to lift this thing by hand. I mean instead of having it motorized just have someone use a 2x4 and push the system up and then another person just clamp it down on a ladder. This thing looks cool but might take a few months to build.

Also anybody use this base idea for light poles. The reason I like the base idea is because of being able to move them around.

I know I can lift the first stage by hand, but that is if nothing is on it. Once you add the lights and such the weight is incredible. Not to mention the weight of trying to lift the second stage. It does take some time to build but if you work on it a few hours each night you should be able to build it in a shorter time frame than months (ie if you started now you would be able to finish it before Turkey Day). If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Jeremy

Just wanted to say at Menard's they have all the parts and cheaper. The eye bolts were over half the price. So if you have a Menard's in your area go to the one stop shop. Starting on the base tomorrow morning. I also am going to use the design for the 10' foot light sticks. 1/2" rigid pole inside a 1" gray electrical. That thing shouldn't bend. The base will be only 1 foot x 5.5 inches deap. Figured that would be about 60 -80lbs per holder. That should be enough for just a light stick. OVERKILL. LOVE IT

[align=left]

[/align]

[align=left]6. 5/16" x 6" Eye Bolts ACE 8 $ 1.39 Menard's .52 box of 10 was 5.20 2" Floor flange was 4 dollars cheaper. [/align]
[align=left] [/align]
[align=left] [/align]

Good to know about menards being 1 stop shopping for the JUMP. I know its silly but 1 of the things holding me back from building one was driving all around town from lowes to HD to Ace to get all the different parts.

friskybri wrote:

Just wanted to say at Menard's they have all the parts and cheaper. The eye bolts were over half the price. So if you have a Menard's in your area go to the one stop shop. Starting on the base tomorrow morning. I also am going to use the design for the 10' foot light sticks. 1/2" rigid pole inside a 1" gray electrical. That thing shouldn't bend. The base will be only 1 foot x 5.5 inches deep. Figured that would be about 60 -80lbs per holder. That should be enough for just a light stick. OVERKILL. LOVE IT

[align=left]

[/align]

[align=left]6. 5/16" x 6" Eye Bolts ACE 8 $ 1.39 Menard's .52 box of 10 was 5.20 2" Floor flange was 4 dollars cheaper. [/align]

[align=left] [/align]

[align=left] [/align]

Thanks for mentioning Menards, I did the prices from Lowes because not everyone has access to a Menards. But the prices are cheeper from Menards than from HD or Lowes. I got all of my supplies from Menards except the jack, 1/2" x 12" eye-bolt, and some of the 2" fittings.