Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat 5 cables and extension cords

goduke21

goduke21 wrote:

Where does everybody buy Cat 5 cables and extension cords at. Do you make your own Cat 5.

A lot of people will hit the dollar stores in their area looking for deals on extension cords. My first few years I would go often and buy a few at a time so as to keep the spending down. (Worked quite well.) Others keep an eye on the home improvement stores watching for extension cords to go on sale. This is one of the larger expenses (outside of the controllers) that you may have.

As for CAT5 cables, there are many places online that sell them for lower that retail outlets. Once bookmark I have (though I haven't used) goes to MonoPrice.com. You may find a good deal on cables there.

For what it's worth, every time we went to WalMart for groceries or whatever last year, I would throw one or two of the 40' green lawn cords in the cart. At around $6 bucks, the price isn't too bad. Every now and then, I would throw in a 10', 15' or 20' shop cord. Added to the heavier cords I already owned, they gave me all I needed. Now that the controllers are going to move from inside to join the display outside, I am looking to use SPT for "exact"-length cords. Though some runs will use the same cords as last year. It helps to spread the cost over the year leading up to the display season.

Monoprice.com is an excellent source for cables, connectors and zip ties. I use 4" zip ties at both ends of all of my light strings -- red for red lights, white for clear and green for green. I just zip it to the string where it enters the plug, then clip off the excess. Since I cable-tie clear, green and red strings together, then roll into a ball, this lets me know which plug is which color. Monoprice has ties in several colors. The best part? Go to your local Home Despot and price a bag of 100 4" ties. It'll be around $3+. Monoprice? Just 44 cents! Even cheaper in quantities. Check it out. They also have the Cat5 cables you're looking for.

Hope this helps.

Cray

I went on the monoprice website and they have exellent prices but it does not say if the cat 5 cables are for outdoor use. Do u guys use these cables outside. Also i bought the mini director for my show. I just put all 4 boxes together yesterday and i have to plug them into the computer. Can I just get away with the usb485 that is $27.95 on the lor website.

i used them outside and had no issues. I did get the booster but you will be fine with just the usb485 that is $27.95 on the lor website. Never used the second cat 5 slot but you never know.

Mine are going on their fifth year and they’re starting to show their age. We go to -10˚F or lower and I’m starting to see some cracking here and there and even a few holes. They’re plenty pliable when it’s warm so it must be the cold. This stuff gets pretty stiff in the cold and though they get secured down, there maybe some movement when then temperature drops and the winds pickup in January.

They all still work, except the couple of squirrel casualties.

Normally the biggest difference between indoor and outdoor cables is the UV protectant that is in the outside sheathing. Many of us have used "Riser Wire" for years with no issues. Riser wire is a grade of cat 5 cable designed for pulls throughout a building. This is just one type of a number of different types of cable. Generally speaking, riser wire is solid copper compared to stranded wire. It is more stiff due to that design.

Many of us - myself included - make our own cables. It keeps the added coil of wire to a minimum and its fairly cheep if you shop around. I like the sense of accomplishment.

If your interested in learning how to make your own cables there are lots of helpful sites on the Internet regarding this topic. Happy Trails...

An overlooked area for ext cords, cat5 and other Christmas items, are
your local garage/yard sales. I have found all of the above items, extremely reasonable. Often I find complete cat5 cords.
Some of the things I have bought.
1000' roll cat5 for $20.00
ext cords, any where from 50 cents, (small) to $5.00 for larger.

Also if you have a Target store in your area, their Christmas items, cords included,
are usually 75% to 90% off after Christmas.

GaryBo wrote:

An overlooked area for ext cords, cat5 and other Christmas items, are
your local garage/yard sales. I have found all of the above items, extremely reasonable. Often I find complete cat5 cords.
Some of the things I have bought.
1000' roll cat5 for $20.00
ext cords, any where from 50 cents, (small) to $5.00 for larger.

Also if you have a Target store in your area, their Christmas items, cords included,
are usually 75% to 90% off after Christmas.

Agreed.