Light-O-Rama Forums

Arches....... What are the best LED to use ? M6 or C6 ....

Thomas M. Fazekas

I want to order some LED Lights from CDI tomorrow to make some arches. I was going to go with the Pure White M6 style with 100 light per strand and I was going to buy 1 case. This would give me 6 strands per arch if I make two. Is this is good choice or should I go with 50 lights a strand or C6 style. I got their email for their 20% off sale and would like to order tomorrow. Any input would be aprreciated. Mnay Thanks......

Guess it depends on the length of your arch segments.

I believe most people use 100ct M6's.

For me this will cover my segments of 16 inches each very well.

If you have any lights at all (50 ct, 70ct) wrap a piece of PVC pipe and see how the coverage works for you.

I just did a 10ft arch 3/4" SCH40 PVC, this resulted in 6 strands (70 ct) LED M6. Each strand covered about 18". I left 6" of empty space on either side of the arch. After I lit it up and watched it perform, it was perfect. IMO, I don't think you need more lights than that.

My original design was to use 1" PVC, but with 4" spacing on the lights when it was wrapped all the lights were in the same location, didn't have the wrap effect. I'm sure there's a fix for that but for me it was easier to spend $1.10 and go with the 3/4"

Thanks everybody for the replies. It was much appreciated..............

I'm going to order the M6 100 count "Pure White" by the case...........

Think I'll put the Arches in the back yard for summer. Great to look at when your BBQ ing late............

Just want to make sure about your "Pure White" color choice.

Have you seen "Pure White" LED's before? A lot of the times they have a "Blue" look to them...

Where as the "Warm White" tend to have more of a "Yellow" in them.

Didn't know if you knew that or not...

Thomas M. Fazekas wrote:

What has the closest to a standard white, I don't want a Blue or Yellow look, just the standard White. Thanks.........

I would think most on here would say "Warm White", but like everything, it would be a personal choice.

Incandescent white is not that white. Especially in Christmas lights it tends to be rather yellow. Most LED vendors warm white is going to be the closes match to incandescent. The Minleon retrofit bulbs in Sun Warm White are a very good match, and the Minleon warm white is one of the few that really looks white to me, not blue or yellow. But if you put it in with incandescents, the incandescent bulbs will look yellow...

As for bulb types, I'm going to be doing 5 for the park using 5mm concave LEDs... Will try to get a good photo comparison against incandescent ones when they are wrapped...

Checkout my videos:

Using G12 Cool Whites on my arches, trees and bushes.

The whole display is LED's except the snowflakes on the roof.

Can you tell the difference between the snowflake and the house LED whites?

Jim,

I'll take your word on that and order the "Warm White". I can see how the "Bright White" might have a blueish tint to them. Thanks everybody for the replies. You guys are the BEST. Here goes a phone call and more lights on the Credit Card. Better than spending your money on cigarettes or booze, that's how I justify it. And lot's of people get a natural pleasure from your creations..........can't beat that.

Many Thanks to all who replied !!!!!!!!!!!

Although you have made your purchase. I would like to make a few points. First not all Pure white have a blueish tinge to it. I have strings from last year and Christmas LED and these babies are PURE WHITE with no blue tinge what so ever.

Max-Paul wrote:

First not all Pure white have a blueish tinge to it. I have strings from last year and Christmas LED and these babies are PURE WHITE with no blue tinge what so ever.

that's why I said " A lot of the times they have a "Blue" look to them..." :shock:

Max-Paul wrote:

Although you have made your purchase. I would like to make a few points. First not all Pure white have a blueish tinge to it. I have strings from last year and Christmas LED and these babies are PURE WHITE with no blue tinge what so ever.

The original poster stated he was ordering from CDI

Depending on the vendor, Pure White, Cool White and Bright White may have the blueish tinge to them, Most of the time the Warm Whites will be a little bit to the yellow.

I have been buying CDI LEDs for the past four years (forget the 2008 ones) and this has been my experience with the lights the OP said he was ordering from.

I really like the (Cool, Pure, Bright) white for Halloween props because of its harshness.

For Christmas, it's hard sometimes to tell the difference (especially in videos) between the Blue CDI LEDs and the (Pure,Cool,White) LEDs from CDI. The CDI Warm White is very close to a clear incadescent (close but not exact)

jimswinder wrote:

bwaldrep wrote:
I'm probably late to the party, but wanted to share. I just created my 1st arch, and used 5mm LED's. Here is a test video:

http://www.facebook.com/v/1435281205834

I can't seem to get your link to work... :(
Sorry about that, I'll get it up on youtube later today, and post the link. The facebook link should work, as it isn't a privacy issue, as I just tried it without being logged in. but I'll add it to youtube for others.