Light-O-Rama Forums

Multi colors for Halloween

friskybri

Anyone use 2 or more different colors for their Halloween display. I was thinking of going with everything in Orange, purple and red. Thinking of using 10 foot light sticks. Or do you think its going to much for Halloween.

On tombstones does anyone use the Styrofoam ones that are purchased Does anyone make them out of plywood so they can attach lights?

I use orange and purple minis. Then wash the house with alternating green and blue floods. At certain points I will fill my patio with fog and quickly strobe alternating yellow and red floods to simulate fire.

As for the tombstones, I use the styrofoam ones from walmart/walgreens and then clip one of those little white led "book lights" to the top of each pointing them down to light up the fronts. Looks pretty cool I think.

Attached files 201794=11224-100_4313.jpg

This will be my 1st year using LOR. I've got on order, purple and orange LED's. I will mix those with my Red's. So your colors are right on. For tombs, I ordered precut CORO from online, spray painted them myself. I will add lights around it and paint some cool saying on them. Green floods to soften the look of the tomb as well. Oh yea and use of the strobes for lightning effect.

Below is a pic of what they look like. Tomb1.jpg

friskybri wrote:

Anyone use 2 or more different colors for their Halloween display. I was thinking of going with everything in Orange, purple and red. Thinking of using 10 foot light sticks. Or do you think its going to much for Halloween.

On tombstones does anyone use the Styrofoam ones that are purchased Does anyone make them out of plywood so they can attach lights?

I have used WHITE (superbright) and Orange LED's in my Halloween display and have always used the styrofoam pre-made tombstones that I paint with GLOW IN THE DARK paint and then illuminate with flourescent black light fixtures. I also add LED's into the tombstones, but only on those that have faces, I put the LED's in the eyes and then use an alternating flasher circuit to blink them off/on or some burn steady on (but go off/on when connected through the Mr. Christmas unit) using a 6VDC, 9VDC or 12VDC adapter. If I have them wired direct to the adapters I use a 1K (1,000 ohm) resistor on the + side of each LED.

I string the white LED's along the ground using ground stakes throughout the cemetery scene and when flashed quickly, they make a great ground strobe effect. They worked very well using a Mr. Christmas 4 channel wireless unit to do this for the last 2 years, this year I will be using LOR and have even better control of my lighting.
Hopefully I can attach some photo's to this message and you can see how my layout had been set up for my 2009 Halloween display.

The two tombstones to the right with the illuminated eyes are wired as steady on, but fade slowly when power is removed from the adapter, makes for a nice effect, works the same with LOR as they did with the Mr. Christmas unit, very slow fade off when power is removed, which is the effect I was hoping for! These are wired with the 1k resistor in series with the + side of each LED.

Not the best photo, but shows how I have the lights strung through the cemetery somewhat.

Attached files 201818=11228-HW2009-01.gif

Here's a shot of the cemetery scene after the fog machine rolled out some low lying ground fog. I use a low lying fog machine that uses ice to keep the fog low, most folks use standard ice cubes, but I use dry ice with this fogger to get the best low lying fog effect.

BTW: every year we've been rated the #1 Halloween decorated house in our neighborhood by the children that come by for the treats and the show. :D

And with LOR, this year(2010) is going to be even better! Lots of new Halloween blowmolds, tombstones and lots of other goodies.

Attached files 201819=11229-HW2009-02.gif

friskybri wrote:

Like others, I use more than just the two standard halloween colors (purple and orange). I too also use the styrafoam tombstones. I used Purple LEDs to spell out RIP on he Tombstone (it was already spelled on there, I just poked some holes). Just make sure you are having a good time!!

And most importantly, you can never go too crazy with Halloween!

thebaronn wrote:

friskybri wrote:

Like others, I use more than just the two standard halloween colors (purple and orange). I too also use the styrafoam tombstones. I used Purple LEDs to spell out RIP on he Tombstone (it was already spelled on there, I just poked some holes). Just make sure you are having a good time!!

And most importantly, you can never go too crazy with Halloween!

Great display!! Loved it

• 1 month later...

Here's some photos from my previous Halloweens. I did a little bit with LOR last year for the first time but hope to do a lot more this year. Trying to come up with something for 4th of July now.

set-72157615380288402
set-72157623074460762

I copied your link, FLICKR says it is a "private" photo, you will probably have to change this to "public" for it to be viewed by others here or on the flickr site iteself. As it is only you can view, but no one else can. And that may be why it's only a red x box instead of showing your photo(s) from the flickr site.

I used orange and purple mini's and rope light. Outlined the styrofoam tombstones with orange, used a drill bit smaller than the mini bulbs to drill out a hole, ran the bit in and out a couple of times to clear the hole, and installed the bulbs. They held pretty well, and as you can see, they lit up good also.

Attached files 203321=11305-IMG_0516.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice and eerie looking cemetery you have there. Are you using a blue spotlight, blacklights or some type of subdued lighting to get that really nice ethereal effect of the headstones "glowing" like that?

Wal-Mart flood lights. Blue, Red, Green and Yellow. I’ve tried backlights but they don’t give me the affect I want do to all the other lights going.