Light-O-Rama Forums

Wrapping arches - light alignment

bwaldrep

I'm just starting with the building of some 20 foot long arches. The question I have, which I have seen posted on here before, is the fact that the lights all line up, verses a random pattern. (see attachment)

If they were all in a perfect line, I could position the pipe so all the lights face out, which would be great because then all lights would be scene, and focused out front, verses all over the place, however as you can see from the picture, they are forming a spiral. So my concern would be some "dead" spots where the arch would appear dark.

I know I could change the size of the pipe, currently 3/4", or even change how tight I wrap the lights, but I wanted to ask some of you guys who are more experienced on what you would suggest.

Thanks,

Brent

Attached files 201568=11204-IMG_0498.jpg

Fold the string of lights over onto itsself a few times (make sure lights are spaced) before you wrap it on the pole. By folding over you get lights that are spaced every inch if you like!

I had the same problem and was suggested to me to double your lights (like Dan said) and get a different diameter of pipe... 1/2" worked better for me.

It has also been suggested, instead of wrapping the whole 10' section of pipe (In your case two sections), wrap your segments individually on separate pieces (ie if you arch was going to be divided into 9 segments, wrap 9 individual segments. This makes it easier to store and easier to change out a burnt out string.

The tricky part is what to use to wrap the segments. The creator just used 1" PVC pipe...(he posted his idea, but I think it was over on PC) but I found that it did not curve very well around the arch and left "flat" spots.

So I am toying with something more flexible, like Flexible Conduit. There is also a product out there (don't remember the name) that is like Flexible Conduit, but has more rigid, which would hold the lights in place better than smooth PVC pipe.

Adds a little more cost, but storage (heard a lot about broken lights trying to store a 10' stick with lights on it) and set-up would go faster, if you plan on taking the lights off each year.

EDIT: Also be mindful not to wrap it too tight if you are doing it while the PVC is straight, because as you bend it to make the arch, it will start stretching your light strings.

On 3 inch spacing lights, switching from 3/4 to 1 inch pipe should help considerably.. Folding the string back on itself, and/or tying any multiple strings together to run in parallel will also help considerably.. X2 on keeping it somewhat loose, so it does not get stretched when bent...

I used two sets of lights per section. I put the 2 string together with the lights set at a 2 inch spacing instead of 4 inch spacing. this solved the problem for us. It looks like it is completly wrapped with lights.

If I may add my own thoughts about what I did to help. First I watched a few youtube videos of someone wrapping their arch. And the one thing that I noticed is that he would spiral the wire on with about 1 or better inch spacing. After he got about 10 to 12 wraps. He would stop wrapping and then push the winding together. This helped some with the lights being random and it left the wire loose enough for both the bending and as the wire got colder, it would shrink some.

Good luck on your wrapping.

Two pieces of black abs irrigation pipe 17" long, wrapped with 100 leds each end to end fits over 1/2" pipe very well for arch.No gaps or separation visible

Attached files 201590=11213-Picture 001.jpg

I think I am the guy that some are referring to.

I used the sleeved concept on my arches. I released the info on PC last Nov. You can check it out on Planet Christmas at this url.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php/36584-Easy-way-to-make-arches!!!

This concept sure makes the wrapping and storage much easier and most repairs can be made easier by just replacing the sections as needed. I used 100 ct. strings and the spacing worked fine. I used the 1" poly pipe for the sleeeves. It will bend and conform the arch shape. I too looked into a more flexible conduit but I found it was too flimsey when I tried to wrap it. Granted there is a little spacing between the sections but not very noticable from the street and I just fan the bulbs with my hand to may them look tighter. I also am using a different method of fastening the lights to the sleeve. I can now get them to fit closer the ends of the sleeves and the gap is reduced.

I do not want to tie up this thread. If you have any questions, let me know.

The thread listed above does also have some pictures showing this concept.

Harbs

I want to thank everyone for their input.

I tried folding each strand in half, and that would work, but I was having trouble wrapping that way. More of an operator issue, verses a real practical issue. so that would have worked, but I was getting frustrated, and decided to try a 1" diameter pipe. That fixed the issue for me.

The only down fall, is due to the thicker pipe, my light strand doesn't go as far as I wanted each section to be long, so I may end up with 18 or so feet arches, verses the 20' I originally planned for, but that is a minor issue.

I also wanted to touch on the sleeve idea. I had read about that method here or on PC, I can't totally remember, and I can see the benefits of that method, but I also see the issue of little gaps between sections being a possible issue, and storage won't be a problem, so I opted for the all in one (well really 2 sections) approach.

Thank you again, for providing input.