Light-O-Rama Forums

version 2.7.6 and command files

Greg

Now this may be something I am doing wrong but after running tests all morning I' Stumped.

I am having trouble with sequences running batch files through the windows command function. I am just checking to see if anyone is experiencing similar problems. I am using version 2.7.6 on a XP machine.

thanks

greg

update,

I don't beleive it is LOR that is causing the problem, Simple batch files execute fine. It is when I add the more complex files where the problem comes in. The thing is last christmas these exact batch files ran fine. Oh yeah here is something, since I updated to 2.7.6 the files that originaly had these commands attached to them no longer do.

To troubleshoot, do the following:

In the sequence editor, edit the Windows command and select "Normal" as the window style (so you can see it).

Then edit your batch file, and at the end, run the DOS "pause" command. This will keep the window up and let you see any errors.

Oh yeah here is something, since I updated to 2.7.6 the files that originaly had these commands attached to them no longer do.

Are you using them on the same computer as before?

If not, then the reason for this could be the fact that the shell command associated with a sequence is not stored in the sequence itself. It's stored in another file, cmdmap.lcm, which should be in your main sequences directory. To get the same sequence to run the same command on two different PCs, you'll have to use the same cmdmap.lcm file on both.

The reason that we do it this way is to help improve security with respect to sharing sequences - if the sequence file itself could contain instructions to execute any arbitrary command for Windows whenever the sequence is run, it would be dangerous to run a sequence that you got from another person, since that sequence could, for example, tell Windows that it should install a virus whenever the sequence is run.

A similar way in which this sort of thing could have happened is if you backed up your sequence files, but not your cmdmap.lcm, and later restored them without having restored cmdmap.lcm.

Steven,

I will try that tonight when I get home from work, I thought about having it open a window but haven't tried it.

Bob,

Yes they both reside on the same machine. In fact after christmas I shut down the machine only turned it on a few weeks ago to do an upgrade. Haven't done anything else aside from checking the new controllers since. It was also the first time I had opened the sequences since before christmas.

greg

Bob,

Figured it out. Those files were missing, not sure how I deleted them but found them in the trash, everything fine now.

greg