Light-O-Rama Forums

Weather Proofing Controllers?

JF1993

I don't know if this is a frequent topic or not, but I tried researching similar posts and was unable to locate a topic like this. The Light-O-Rama controllers are made to withstand the bad weather, but is it necessary to try and further weatherproof them. I've seen people make stands for the controller boxes before, and I'm wondering if I should come up with some sort of similar system just in case. By the way I'm using the residential series controllers.

They really are weatherproof if mounted vertically.  Keep the power connectors out of water unless you like having GFCI trips.  The stands people make get them high enough to keep the cord connectors out of puddles and keep them vertical.

In my case, my AC controllers are inside my attic, and the DC controller boards are inside electrical junction boxes or inside a brick column.

Just my 2 cents but I put each of them under a low profile tote from HD. Spray paint it black and turn it upside down covering both the controller and dongles. The only issues I've ever had were with plugs exposed to the elements both on the ground and in the air.

I wrap all mine that are visible in black plastic garbage bags, and tape colored garland and large bells on them.  Both I get from the dollar tree and dispose of after the season.  Some I put on stands the rest lay on a couple of 2x4s on the grass.  That way no puddling water gets to them.    I have had no issue with them what so ever. 

All my controllers are as close my elements as possible, so there out in all types of weather mine are attached to plywood with 2 poles that go into the ground approx. 2' high to keep the cords off the ground and the past 3 seasons I just cover them with black plastic lawn bags and it's worked well with no problems. I know the cases are supposed to be water proof but it's just a little extra precaution.

I've been at this for 6 years now and always have my controllers out in the elements in Maine cold winter. I put them on a 1x3 driven into the ground. Never covered them and never had an issue....

I do the same as Gmac- mount on plywood attached to 1 or 2 posts tall enough to keep plugs off the ground and then cover with black plastic garbage bag.  I leave the bottom of the bag open to allow for air circulation.  I use hand clamps to secure the bag sides to the plywood backboard.

Being in Southern California with mild winters (compared to most anything in the East and North) I probably don't have to go this far but I like the 'insurance' value plus it does disguise the controller(s) from view.

Thanks for all the advice. I started the light show game last year with one controller, and kept it inside the whole time, but this year I now have three controllers and thought it would less of a hassle to keep them outside. The weatherproofing was my concern, because here in Northern Illinois we have very unpredictable winter weather. Last year we had a good mix of rain and snow which resulted in the ground being covered in sheets of ice which was not fun. I also went the extra mile and got the mini mp3 director due to problems I was having with my five year old laptop. Thanks again for all the tips.

JF1993

Thanks for all the advice. I started the light show game last year with one controller, and kept it inside the whole time, but this year I now have three controllers and thought it would less of a hassle to keep them outside. The weatherproofing was my concern, because here in Northern Illinois we have very unpredictable winter weather. Last year we had a good mix of rain and snow which resulted in the ground being covered in sheets of ice which was not fun. I also went the extra mile and got the mini mp3 director due to problems I was having with my five year old laptop. Thanks again for all the tips.

JF1993

I put my mini-director in the garage, that way it makes it easy to change the SD card on the fly rather than putting it in a weatherproof enclosure out in the elements.  

I have found over the years that the more people tried to weatherproof their cases (adding seals and such), the more water they let in their controllers.  The enclosures were intended to be put out in the elements (hence why the utility companies use similar types of enclosures for their equipment mounted outside of houses).  Mount them upright, ideally with the plugs off the ground.  Also make sure you tighten the screw on the plastic enclosures (rather than just snapping them shut) since this helps to tighten the seal.

He is correct, they are weather resistant enclosures.  I cover mine in the display area mainly for decor.  I have one that is out in the elements behind some trees so I don't bother covering that one.  The ones I lay on the 2x4s on the grass need the bag because they are not mounted as intended. 

I don't cover mine,,,but I always make sure the cover is on tight and the screw tight as well.on the pc model

Thanks again, I don't think I'll be adding anything extra to weatherproof the controllers this season. Like you guys were saying I'll probably just make sure the screw is on tight and the door shut.

• Like 1

I don't cover mine,,,but I always make sure the cover is on tight and the screw tight as well.on the pc model

A few years ago I discovered that the enclosures aren't weatherproof when you leave the door open! :o

I can't remember why, but whatever I was doing got interrupted by rain, which blew into the controller and caused it to stop working. After letting it dry (inside!) for a few weeks, it started working again.

A few years ago I discovered that the enclosures aren't weatherproof when you leave the door open! :o

I can't remember why, but whatever I was doing got interrupted by rain, which blew into the controller and caused it to stop working. After letting it dry (inside!) for a few weeks, it started working again.

it was your post a couple years ago about this that made me look twice to make sure it's all buttoned up

• Like 1

• The topic was locked