Light-O-Rama Forums

Smart Pixel Control?

BradW22

Ok I am looking at diving into RGB next year... I am going to be using a combination of Smart Pixels and Strips and some Dumb strips as well.

smeighan had a couple posts I have saw and he talks about Smart Pixel Controllers and they look super small. I am wondering what these are and where do I get some? I am new to the whole smart pixel thing and really like the way he has used them.. If anyone can help shed some light on the controllers he is using (or you yourself!) I would be greatly appreciated.

I am just new to all the DMX stuff and RGB stuff and the part I need to know are what types of controllers are used for the "Smart" pixels and strips. I already know what I am going to get and use for the dumb RGB, that is easy.. i am just curious (and somewhat lost) on the Smart RGB side of things.

Sandevices and J1Sys are 2 of the more popular smart pixel controllers currently. Hopefully Light-o-rama will there own version out soon. Don't ask which one is better, everyone seems to be very partial to there smart pixel controller vendor.

There's lots of videos online at Holidaycoro.com and Youtube that explain almost everything.

Search and learn for next year.

I can only tell you what I have used and am happy with it. I kinda skipped a step and jumped straight to E1.31 which is DMX over ethernet. I am using an E682 E1.31 controller from San Devices (http://sandevices.com/). That can drive up to 16 smart strips for a total of 1020 RGB pixels.

There is a tutorial on the SanDevices website that explains a lot of DMX stuff (E1.31 in particular) at: http://sandevices.com/aboutrgbpixels.html

Useful reading.

I believe Sean (smeighan) is using all lynx hardware but I am not familiar enough with lynx hardware to tell you exactly what kind. What controller you use will depend a lot on what type of pixels you plan to use and how you plan to set certain elements up such as mega tree's or roof lines. For example the sandevices controllers can do GE color effects where the j1sys controllers can not. The j1sys ECG-P2 is perfect for elements out in the yard like arches or roof lines because of its small size and 2 outputs that can run 8 universes. The sandevices E682 and the j1sys ECG-P12R are more centralized controllers for elements such as mega trees and matrixes. Both are rock solid units and both provide great costumer service. So compare prices and how you plan on using them and buy what fits your needs. You wont be disappointed with either and there are plenty of folks around running one or the other or both that can help you out.

http://www.j1sys.com/ethcongateway/

or

http://www.sandevices.com/

Lynx stuff ( I know nothing about)

I have used both the sandvices and the J1sys controllers in the past and I personally prefer the J1SYS controllers based on ease of use, setup, usability and value.

I believe Sean (smeighan) is using all lynx hardware but I am not familiar enough with lynx hardware to tell you exactly what kind. What controller you use will depend a lot on what type of pixels you plan to use and how you plan to set certain elements up such as mega tree's or roof lines. For example the sandevices controllers can do GE color effects where the j1sys controllers can not. The j1sys ECG-P2 is perfect for elements out in the yard like arches or roof lines because of its small size and 2 outputs that can run 8 universes. The sandevices E682 and the j1sys ECG-P12R are more centralized controllers for elements such as mega trees and matrixes. Both are rock solid units and both provide great costumer service. So compare prices and how you plan on using them and buy what fits your needs. You wont be disappointed with either and there are plenty of folks around running one or the other or both that can help you out.

http://www.j1sys.com/ethcongateway/

or

http://www.sandevices.com/

Lynx stuff ( I know nothing about)

Thanks for the info!! I am looking at using the J1sys ECG -P2 most likely.. So the next question is what software is best to program them with? I have LOR S3 advanced but am wondering what may work better?

Well being that this is an LOR forum I will say LOR s3 of course lol The software you use is personal preference in my opinion. I have tried them all but came back to my LOR. I just didnt want to spend the time learning a new sequencer and cost to purchase a full license of some other sequencer. I could buy a ccr or 4 ecg-p2's for the same price it would cost to replace my sequencer software, so why not keep your sequencer and spend your money on pixels and hardware. Anything that will sequence pixels has its pros and cons. None are perfect so for me its what do you know how to use already and what are you comfortable with and what has great support. The answer for me is LOR s3 it may not be the answer for everyone though. I personally love the ECG-P2 and have 4 of them out in the yard running right now. If you go t hat way feel free to hit me up with any questions. Eddy (edvas69) is a great resource for hardware and software help as well. He helped me a lot this past year making the choices I made. The Aussie forums in his sig are also a great place to learn more about the different diy products on the market. If you stick with LOR (dougd) above has some amazing sequences in the sequencing section of the forums that he has graciously shared with the community that will help out tremendously in learning how to sequence the pixels and set them up in LOR.

Good Luck!

Edited by harrison0550

Thanks for the info!! I am looking at using the J1sys ECG -P2 most likely.. So the next question is what software is best to program them with? I have LOR S3 advanced but am wondering what may work better?

I will jump in and vote for Jim at sandevices! (he put up with ALL my annoying questions) I have 5 of his boards running 3840 pixels in a 48X80 matrix. I have both LSP and S3.

I sequence in S3, the import to LSP and use their amazing matrix editor. I have had trouble switching completely (after 5 years of LOR, it is hard to give it up, like smoking&it's bulletproof).

This was a quick video (I have since updated the firmware and it is very clear, no "static" that can be seen cleary on the left side). I used to hate that sequence, now I love it.

Just do it!!! You will be glad you did!

Eric

Thats an impsessive matrix right there!

As well Im a E681 Jim and Sansdevices user. Great piece of hardware, very versitile as well. The software takes some getting use to as its all internet based, theres no dedicated programming software so it takes knowing the codes to make changes on it. You really only do that once though and your set.

Eddy69 or FastEddy is a fountain of knowledge on pixels, Aussie Phil as well. If they pop in and tell you this is how to make it work, then do that. Do not try to reinvent the wheel or assume you know more its not going to happen. Those 2 know more about these devices than I would say anyone on this forum. They have been running pixels for a few years now and they have some amazing displays that show it. For LOR other than the CCR's pixel ability is still in its infancy and Im willing to bet its going to get easier to use and sequence as more people add input on what the software needs to make us happy. You cant beat LORs customer service and attention to detail.

Dont forget theres dumb as well smart pixels. Those 2 have a very different learning curve. Read as much as you can, as Id bet any questions you may have we have already covered somewhere in the past 6 months.

Be warned!! Buying your first E682 is like crack. It will get very addicting, Very fast!!

I ordered 2 more before I even partially maxed out the first, then I order 2 more before I finished wiring the 2nd one!!

Scott

• Like 1

I'll go a +1 on the J1Sys only becasue that is what I have (J1Sys D2 - Bridge) ...

and most likely now that I have one I'll probably stay with J1Sys..

Best advice.. research, research research ... Like one of the first posts said .. everyone has a favorite .. and for the most part they all do the same thing.. look for features, support, expansion..pick one and light em up ...

I doubt you will find anyone that will particularly say this one is a POS .. or that ones not worth a dime ..

Bob

Edited by bob_moody

Be warned!! Buying your first E682 is like crack. It will get very addicting, Very fast!!

I ordered 2 more before I even partially maxed out the first, then I order 2 more before I finished wiring the 2nd one!!

Scott

100% ccccorrrrrectttt.

Just received my 6th board last week.....

You know, just in case!

Scott

Like Scott said...

I bought my second one before I ever put the first one in service.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

These work to control pixels but your choices in software will be extemely limited as you will need software that supports the use of an SD card for that controller. Also if you have any issues then for the most part you will be on your own for support as the community generally doesnt use these.

• The topic was locked