Light-O-Rama Forums

Network Speed- USB485 Serial Connector vs. Mini Director MP3

Lisa Star

Is one network faster/better than the other?

I recently read that a network can get bogged down by too much traffic on a single network, and that buying another USB485 connector for a second parallel network can help with data speed and quality with things like the cosmic color devices.

That got me to thinking.

I was earlier considering buying a Mini Director so that I can get my computer back from my lighting display, but the multiple networks issue has me reconsidering this. I don’t see how it is possible to have multiple networks on a Mini Director, and it made me question the speed of one network on a Mini Director vs. the USB network off of my computer.

Which network system will handle more traffic over the other?

I am using the MP3 Director with 8 LOR 16-channel controllers and two CCB Controllers. There are a few glitches (noticeable on the CCBs) every now and then but it works correctly 99% of the time.

I was considering the Director and decided aginst it when I looked at the price compared to a bare bones laptop. The laptop has a bit mor memory but that is about it for upgrades. I only use it for my show and it can has 4 USB ports. Expanding to multiple networks is pretty easy and a USB Hub provides expansion beyond the three ports I currently have. I had to split to multiple networks this year because I added 5 CCPixel controllers and a CCFlood to 17 LOR 1602W controllers. Just to much. Had problems with the CCP's and was told to jump everythigbn to the max speed of 115.2kbs but that didn't help my 1602's since I use EasyLinker which max out at 15.6kbs. LOR told me that they are boosting the network speed next year to 500kbs. All this being said, you are doing the right thing designing this year for next.