Light-O-Rama Forums

Programming Holidaycoro DMX controller

Big Island Brandon

I have some V2 HolidayCoro DMX controllers that I need to program but didn't buy the USB programmer dongle that they sell. Is there an easy way to cut the end off one of my USB cables and make a programmer dongle? Looks like the one Holidaycoro sells is just a USB cable with a RJ45 connector on the end. I know that it uses pins 1 & 2, but don't know which USB wires to use....

Guest wbottomley

I have some V2 HolidayCoro DMX controllers that I need to program but didn't buy the USB programmer dongle that they sell. Is there an easy way to cut the end off one of my USB cables and make a programmer dongle? Looks like the one Holidaycoro sells is just a USB cable with a RJ45 connector on the end. I know that it uses pins 1 & 2, but don't know which USB wires to use....

I would suggest contacting Holiday Coro for information.

it uses pin 1 & 2 Orange and White/Orange, go to holidaycoro and they have a video that shows you how to hook it up to the controller. orange to blue and orange/white to red. youcan use any cat5 cable and cut in half as long as you use pin 1 &2. Dave just helped me with it and said use the knowlege base on their web site.

ALSO the V-2 controllers have a program problem, read the post that he posted today. not good!!!

For those who are wondering the problem that crazy man was talking about, David's post (from the HolidayCoro.com website) is below.

After releasing the updated V2 programming software, we have discovered an approximate 30% failure rate. We have been unable to determine why some computers fail to program the controllers and other computers work perfectly fine. We at HolidayCoro will not sell a product that we know can't be used 100% of the time, reliability. As such, we are pulling all products that use the 3 Channel DMX Controller. We have done everything within our power both through the vendor in China (firmware updates, vendor written PC programming app, etc) and through our efforts to here in the US through reverse engineering the programming protocol to resolve the issue.

At this point we are ordering in a limited number of the hand held programmers from the vendor (for which we ironicly paid for the development of) to resolve the issue for customers with programming problems. The price for this programmer is $59, our wholesale cost. It will be offered to those that purchased V2 controllers.

Again, we are sorry that we got put in this place unexpectedly and will try our best to make sure our customers have working displays that purchase the V2 controllers.

For those who are wondering the problem that crazy man was talking about, David's post (from the HolidayCoro.com website) is below.

Wow.

Why is he suspending sales of the product, instead of just informing the customers, and offering to set up the starting address for customers himself?

My "V1" controllers had the start address set by the vendor and I've never needed to tweak them. I currently use about 15 of them...

Edited by Tim Fischer

That's a good question Tim. I ordered 3 of the V1 controllers from him and then ordered 7 V2 controllers, so I'm stuck in the middle. He says that they will be offering those handheld programmers to people who purchased V2 controllers, but I really don't feel like spending $59 to solve an issue that is out of my hands. I've already spent hundreds of dollars on DMX stuff from HolidayCoro, some of which may not be used this year unless they can solve the problems with the programmer.

Let me jump into this.. More for the purpose to vent. 1st, David at Holiday Coro has been a huge help for me and I am sure the v1 / v2 issue will be resolved. With that being said, let me get started.

I ordered 20 v1 in february, and this was my initial expereince with DMX. After many hours of tiral and error, using various dongels, I relaized that to get the dmx to work in conjuction with LOR, I had to use a Entec Pro. My St patty day dmx dispaly / lor 16 channel display went off, and ran for two weeks with our a hitch. So, Sept 1st rolls around, and I pull out the infrastructure and begin my Xmas disign / build. I ordered 80 more dmx contollers, v2, I was not able to program them using the software, and in the process, found that 9 of the 80 were actually v1. I programmed them, and now I have 29 v1 controllers working together "ok"... Power supply / management is my issue with them now. Also, in the process of using the holiday coro dongel and software to program, my computer decided to get a critical condition of the blue screen of death. I am now in the process of deciding to get a new one or be without for a week and see if Box Store can fix it.

So I have 71 assembled v2 contollers, and Dave and I have been in constant contact and hopefully, we arrive at a reasonable solution.

If they do not get fixed, and I retunr them, does anyone have a recommendation on another dmx controller / controllers that I can use??? I do not want to have to completly redesign my display, so small modular contollers that are addresable would be nice. Fortunaetley, my display is designed from a central location, so all componets will be inside weather "resistant" / water proofed containers.

What a difference an afternoon makes. As he has always donein the past, davd at holidaycoro has come threw. All 80 of my V2 controller are programmed and by tomorrow night, all 80 will be tested. I have spot checked them, and so far so good.

WOW Not liking what I just read here... I just ordered soem RGBs along with 5- V2 controllers from HolidayCoro last night. Doesn't seem fair if we need to order a $59. programmer to fix their problem. This is my 1st experience with using RGBs and I hope this is just a misfortune not the norm with this equiptment....

Edited by zanclus

WOW Not liking what I just read here... I just ordered soem RGBs along with 5- V2 controllers from HolidayCoro last night. Doesn't seem fair if we need to order a $59. programmer to fix their problem. This is my 1st experience with using RGBs and I hope this is just a misfortune not the norm with this equiptment....

We have resolved ALL problems related the the V2 controllers being programmed. We have released a free update to the software that not only adds functionality for the programming of V1 controllers but also for the V2 controllers and their new features. So, no need to order any hand held programmer! This unexpected change was a result of the vendor of the hardware changing the firmware without our knowledge - we have tried to do everything in our power to make sure everyone has what they need to have a great season. If you have any questions or comments, please direct them to our website.

Thanks,

David

We have resolved ALL problems related the the V2 controllers being programmed. We have released a free update to the software that not only adds functionality for the programming of V1 controllers but also for the V2 controllers and their new features. So, no need to order any hand held programmer! This unexpected change was a result of the vendor of the hardware changing the firmware without our knowledge - we have tried to do everything in our power to make sure everyone has what they need to have a great season. If you have any questions or comments, please direct them to our website.

Thanks,

David

I tried to log onto your website and it was "Down". I am not blaming you or your company was just concerned. I am happy to hear that the issue is taken care of.

Guest wbottomley

Thanks,

David

David, thank you for the reliable service provided to this community.

Thanks for all the help. Yes, Holidaycoro has been a tremendous help and I wouldn't hestitate to order from them again. I got all my controllers programmed with the latest version of software released by Holidaycoro. But I have a new problem....I am not getting consistent colors from the lights connected to the new 3 channel controllers. I currently have LOR 3 advanced running a regular LOR network and a DMX network with a 27 channel controller for my Halloween display. Everything is working fine, using a regular LOR USB dongle. However, when I connect up the lights on the 3 channel controller to the DMX network, I get very fast flickering and random colors. For example, when I expect a solid red...I get the red, but I am getting very quick bright flashes as if the other 2 channels are switching on and off rapidly. I've tested theh controller through xlights and it works fine.....I have unplugged the regular LOR network and just tested the DMX network and still get the same problem when running an LOR sequence. Any ideas???

I jumpeded into the DMX universe last February, and my overall experince is limited; however, I found that to get the most consitant results with LOR, I needed to use an Entec Pro. I fought with the LOR USB 485 for hours earlier in the year. I tried the +1 channel configuration. I spent hours trying to get it to work right/ If I had any hair, I would of pulled it all out. When I bought the entecpro, all was right in the world.

Also, I want to give another shout to to David at holiday coro. Even when there was a problem, he is always on top of it, and I have complete faith in doing business with him.

yeah Holiday Coro was good to me as well.. I bought 2 DMX spots & the star kits this year.. was a bit hair pulling to get the spots to work.. but now that we figured it out.. it's all good.. I haven't jumped into the stars yet.. that will be for Christmas