Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR via DMX

neilric99

I have 2 CCR's and an Enttec pro USB dongle that I would like to use dmx software to drive the CCR's

I have checked using the hardware utility with 1 CCR that I have plugged in that I am running native mode on channel 1 (which ties to DMX 1) and DMX mode set to macros only and 50 pixel resolution. I do get a solid status light

I am having some trouble understanding the CCR150D user guide in setting up the CCR to operate via DMX controls.

So taking the example color effect with Macro effect I have set up this way

DMX 9 (155) to 17 (color effect dazzle in 7 channel mode)

DMX 10 (156) to 90 (color effect speed)

DMX 11 (157) to 100 (color effect intensity)

DMX 1 (152) to 64-75 (macro chase from controller)

DMX 2 (153-44) to 180-189 (macro submode to 4 x 4)

DMX 5 (154-85) to 64-75 (macro chase speed)

All I get is a dark CCR, am I missing something in my understanding of the DMX mapping to macro channels?

Neil

The table on pages 15-16 of the CR150D manual gives the offsets from the base DMX address to the DMX channels that control macro and color effects.

If the CCR is set to a DMX base address of 1, then the macro mode is selected by DMX channels 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5. The macro submode by DMX channel 6. Macro effect by DMX channel 7. The color effect by DMX channels 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13. Color speed by DMX channel 14 and color brightness by DMX channel 15.

Using the "DMX Values for Macro & Color Effects" table in Appendix A you get the mapping for a macro or color effect number to a range of DMX values that will select that effect.

In your case, color effect number 17 corresponds to a DMX value of 208-219 at a 0 offset from the first color effect channel. So you would set the first color effect DMX channel (9) to 208-219. Color speed & brightness into DMX channels 14 & 15.

Chase away from controller is macro effect 5. Using the table in Appendix A, this is selected by a DMX value of 64-75 at an offset of 0 from the first macro effect channel. Set DMX channel 1 to 64-75. The DMX value for a chase with 4 pixels on, 4 off is found using the "DMX Values for Chase Effects" table and is 180-189. You set DMX channel 6 to 180-189. Set DMX channel 7 to a speed.

Thanks for this John. it makes sense, but when I use my dmx controller obey 40 to set the values I am not getting what I expect to see.

I can change the colour effect to some point, however the macro effects are not giving me what I expect I am basically getting an effect across the ribbon that is flashing the whole ribbon at about once every 3 seconds.

I will get back to this later tonight and see if I can make some changes to get it working.

settings on the hardware utility

unit id mode=normal
Channel Mode=triples
Resolution=50
dmx mode=macro effects only

I have a little Obey 10 that I use testing. Here's how I perform your test.

Press the button for Fixture 1, Page select for Page A and move all sliders to zero -- turns off all macro effects.

Select Page B (channels 9-16.) Set channel 9 to 210, set channel 15 to full on for max brightness, set channel 14 for speed of color change. Ribbon should be randomly changing colors.

Press Page for Page A (channels 1-8.) Move all sliders to zero. Ribbon should still be changing colors. Set channel 1 to 65 (chase away from controller) -- ribbon will have a slow one pixel chase. Set channel 6 to 185 (4 pixels on, 4 off,) set channel 7 to speed of chase.

I've been following this thread. I chnaged the unit ID to "1". Followed the instructions (using an Obey 40) in Dan's post and I get a ribbon that flashes about once every second. I also updated the CCR's firmware and nothing has changed. What am I missing?

yes thats exactly what I am getting as well, I have also tried on 2 CCR's with first being on channel 1 (dmx 1)and 2nd on channel 2 (DMX 17)

I dont seem to be able to control as much as I can either, dmx +15 does control intensity, and +9 controls colour, if only I can stop the CCR flashing at around 1 per 2 seconds that would be good.

Neil

I got the same thing, was able to change the color and intesity while it flashed about once every second.

I have a DMX LED yoke and I am able to control that with my Obey 40, I can control the panning and colors so it's not the Obey board.

My Obey light panel doesn't change the value transmitted unless I move the sliders after selecting a fixture and a page. I am not sure what to say. Maybe if I repeat the contents of my 3/30/2010 11:45PM post in list form:

1) Press the button for Fixture 1.

2) Press the button to select Page A.

3) Move the sliders to something and all back to zero. (macros off)

4) Press the button for Page B.

5) Move the sliders to something and all back to zero. (color effects off) Ribbon is dark.

6) Move the slider for channel 9 to 210. (Color effect 17)

7) Move the slider for channel 15 to full brightness. Ribbon is changing color slowly.

8) Move the slider for channel 14 to the speed you want the colors change at.

9) Press the button to select Page A.

10) Move the sliders to something and all back to zero.

11) Move the slider for channel 1 to 65. (chase away from controller) Ribbon has a slow one pixel chase (your flashing slowly case??)

12) Move the slider for channel 6 to 185. (Select 4 pixel on, 4 pixel off chase.)

13) Move the slider for channel 7 to select the speed of the chase.

thanks again Dan,

I set this up exactly as you have stated and still get the same issue, whatever is seelcted on the string just flashes at 1 per second

I am using a homemade RJ-45 to XLR DMX adapter cable using the pin layouts from http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/DMX-DOC.pdf .

I am able to control my CMB-16D with no problem, I can toggle between page A and page B easily using my homemade cable with a RJ-45 connector plug (two female RJ-45). This controller runs 5 RGB LED strips and I am able to get all kinds of colors with it.

Tried the CCR, still flashes, tried using an RJ-45 terminator, still flashes.

I was unable to duplicate the flashing using my Obey 10 or an iDMX1000. I asked Dan to run this test on his Chauvet DMX 40. The CCR status light never went solid and the ribbon would flash as described by others here.

Dan sent the DMX 40 to me and I found an error in the firmware. Right click and save the following CCR firmware. Use the Hardware Utility to load it into the CCR. It should fix the problem.

http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/CCR150D_V1-06.lhx

Background note: I found the DMX 40 very difficult to use. Where the Obey 10 responds instantly to slider movements, the DMX 40 was painfully slow. At first I thought it had been damaged. The flashing was caused by the DMX 40 putting a 34 ms pause between each DMX packet. It was my error to expect them more quickly since 1 packet per second is the spec. The iDMX and Obey 10 send the packets out without this large interpacket pause.

That works great, thanks for looking at the issue and resolving it.

Neil

Thanks, the Obey 40 is my first DMX board, I didn't know about it being slow, I thought that it was a higher model number that it had more features. I bought it online and used the feature list to decide my purchase. I downloaded the new firmware and my CCR is now working with the Obey 40. Thanks for resolving this issue.

On that DMX 40 that I sent to John. When you move a slider, it can take 2-3 seconds before it realizes that the slider has been moved and displays a value on the LED display. Once it realizes that the slider has been moved, it reacts fairly quickly to adjustments.

It is a pretty old model so I was just currious, does the more current models act the same way, with that initial pause?

Thanks
Dan

I tested this on my recently purchachaed obey 40 and did not see the delays that you are talking about, also when I move the sliders i see near instant changes to the CCR.

Perhaps they have more updated firmware for you dmx board?

Neil

neilric99 wrote:

I tested this on my recently purchachaed obey 40 and did not see the delays that you are talking about, also when I move the sliders i see near instant changes to the CCR.

Neil

Thanks for the info Neil....

• 3 months later...

Hi, I just received my first CCR last week, and have been testing it with my DMX controller. At first, I got the same flashing, about once per second, but I could still control the colour and see the result of some macros behind the flashes. I then found this thread, and downloaded and installed firmware 1.06. Now the flashing is gone, but only the first 91 channels respond to DMX. (I have configured it for both macro and channels). So all the macro channels worked ok, and the whole ribbon lit up via the macros. I was able to adjust the pixel resolution via dmx with no problem as well. However, only the first 75 channels after the macros (or 25 pixels) could be controlled individually.

After reconfiguring the CCR to only the 150 channels (macros disabled), I still had control of only the first 91 channels (30~ pixels)

My hardware setup:

Jands Vista (1024ch controller) > optical-isolator/splitter > XLR to RJ45 > CCR.

All the cabling checks out.
I bypassed the opto-iso unit, it's not a factor either.
I daisy chained out of the CCR with another RJ45 to XLR into an Elation led brick, addressed to dmx ch. 128. works fine, so the full dmx signal is passing thru the CCR. (I presume the two RJ45s are parallel)?

I'm wondering if the CCR,s signal tolerance is still just a little tight, and the timing falls out of sync at that point. I'll call the manufacturer tomorrow and try and get you some specs on the dmx it's putting out.

Any thoughts?

neilric99 wrote:

Neil

Thanks for the feedback... My board is pretty old (maybe it is just tired;)) ...

Dan

• The topic was locked