Light-O-Rama Forums

My Review of CCR from 2009

bryandolan

OK, one season under my belt, and I used the CCR very successfully in my show this season. Thought I would share a couple of things I learned from mounting to use...

I have attached a short video showing how I used them this year.

I have 2 CCR's, one used to outline a large arch over my entrance and one attached to PVC for a double arch.

I live in FL, so I had temperature variances this season of 40-80 degrees F with both direct sun (West facing house) as well as significant rain.

My home is stucco, and I had major problems trying to figure out how to get the CCR to mount on my home without penetrating the stucco. I ended up using 3M's COMMAND (medium) strips to attach to the house, put a dab of clear silicone caulking on top of that and the combination of the stickiness of the COMMAND strip and the resilience of the caulking kept the strip in check on the side of the house for the entire two months. I just took them down yesterday, and simply pulled the tab of the COMMAND strip, it came right off the house, no problem...and then simply peeled the caulking from the back of the CCR without issue as well. Looks brand new!

I packaged my control units in a 6x6 weather resistant electrical junction box from Home Depot ($12 ea. I think). Drilled a hole in the bottom to feed wires and used putty to seal the hole. Both were exposed to direct rain. Opened it up yesterday and not even a bug got inside.

As for programming, this was a MAJOR challenge. I ended up blending both macros as well as splitting out the channels in RGB to control the effects I wanted. LOR has to make this part easier for mass production/large scale distribution of the CCR to the masses of people...it is a phenomenal product, but a complete paradigm shift in how to program from the traditional channel model. They also need to upgrade the Sequence Editor to support CCR in a more integrated way as not only are the channels/macros difficult, but the inability to see the CCR in the Preview window really bites.

All in all, a very good quality product, but clearly rushed to market without the supporting knowledge or infrastructure to support it effectively to the masses. This may have damaged the reputation of the product overall and LOR will have to do some mending before a Rev 1 product is released next time.

As for how it looked...see for yourself in the video. It was clearly a hit and definitely the brightest lights in the show.

Bryan

Attached files CCRx2.zip

• The topic was locked