Light-O-Rama Forums

Some channels come on and stay on

marionvillemolights

• 8 months later...

So I feel really dumb.

1. The resistor is just inserted into the cable but the bare ends of the resistor never are crimped to the jack?

2. So one end of the cable has a jack on it. What's on the other end? Nothing just a bare cut end?

3. Are the phone crimps mentioned above used to terminate the non cat5 jack end?

Jeff

In the end it didn't matter for me. My problem was the USB port on the motherboards I was using. What dumb luck. Built a new computer for nothing.

Now for the question. I just took a cat5 patch cable and cut one male end off and spliced a resistor between two of the wires. Which ones I can't remember. All I remember is I could not solder to the cat5 cable so I had to use the adapters noted above to make it work.

Hopefully this year brings less headaches. :)

jbzeus wrote:

1. The resistor is just inserted into the cable but the bare ends of the resistor never are crimped to the jack?

They are crimped to the jack. In the 7th post I made, click on the 3rd picture to see it up close. Note that the blue/white wires are really the resistor leads!

If you click on the 4th picture, it looks like those are the 8 wires from the cable, but the blue/white wires are still the resistor leads! When the plug is crimped, it is crimped through the blue/white insulation into the resistor leads. Since the resistor leads are about the same size as the #24 copper wire that was removed, the connector makes a good connection.

• 1 year later...

Awesome post Steven. Thanks for going to all the extra work with the pictures. We should meet sometime and brainstrom. I am in Millbrae.

• 11 months later...

I did this:

PC150005_zps3e92a203.jpg

This way, you KNOW which cable is the terminator. If you re-arrange your show, then this is the way to go, as it's the special cable jumper, and NOT a cable that could end up in the middle of the chain.

In fact, I have an extra cable at the "far" end of my show, that I can plug a laptop into (my show is 100's if feet from my house) this way I can tweek the show from my truck and just drop the sequences on a stick for the mp3Director.

here are the same with hotglue for weatherproofing.

PC150005_zps3e92a203.jpg

oops... same photo somehow...

PC150004_zps337ddfcd.jpg

• 1 year later...

stachows wrote:

Yes, 150Ω would work just fine.

Steven,

Thanks for the work on, sharing this and pointing me to it. I bought the 1/8w 150ohm resistors at radio shack. Last night I built one per your instructions, and installed it in the last controller on my network. My PC is at the other end.  It had no bad effect on my show and I have yet to see any stuck on lights today.  So, my are fingers crossed!

• The topic was locked