Light-O-Rama Forums

Frosty is ALIVE!!

Ponddude

Well I am not one to brag usually....YEA RIGHT!...but I thought I would show off my major addition to my display this year.

Here are his stats...
8ft 2in tall - with hat
4ft wide
4 robot heavy duty servos
1 DIO board

Now you all know why I was pushing for the DIO board to be released!!

Video quality isn't great, but I took it with my iPhone. Better videos/pictures coming. There is one servo that wasn't attached and that goes on his belly to make him dance.

I actually can't take all the credit for him. Mark Z, from Lights on Display made one of these last year. I saw it an immediately knew I had to have it. The frame is from Valerie and the rest of the work I did.

Attached files 183342=10428-photo.jpg

Ask and ye' shall receive...

Here are his head guts:

P1010056.jpg

Here is a bad shot of the robot gear servo:

P1010060.jpg

Here is the whole thing:

P1010066.jpg

Here is the wireless receiver and the DIO board.  The wireless button will be located around the display for people to push.  They will either allow the snowman to talk directly to you or to control some aspect of the lights.  Again, all wirelessly.  This whole unit (DIO board mounts nicely in a PC controller case) will be mounted inside the snowman.

P1010077.jpg

Here the the actual wireless transmitter...exploded.  The buttons will plug into the side of this and when they are pushed, send a signal to the receiver by the DIO board, thus triggering something.

P1010076.jpg

[align=center]I what One :D
[/align]
This is Awesome,cool, unfricken-believable, Terrific, fabulous, magnifico!!!

What can I say!!!!

J_Plak wrote:

[align=center]I what One :P
[/align]
This is Awesome,cool, unfricken-believable, Terrific, fabulous, magnifico!!!

What can I say!!!!

What he said...

Haha...thanks everyone. I am very happy with the way he turned out.

Ed, let me know if you come up to see the show, I would love to show you around.

Here is a much better video of the whole song in action and HD.

Looks good , was it hard to do.

reminds me of the one that I got a Walmart three years ago
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/5-foot-animated-singing-dancing-snowman

they replace it with the Santa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xxXDaLay7A&feature=PlayList&p=8C81D64DCB94538F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

Still good job

Jeff

Building the snowman wasn't hard, it was just time consuming. I have about 3 months of work into him. The delay in the DIO card didn't help matters because I had to guess on how the servos were going to work without being able to control him. Needless to say, there was work involved when I got the DIO board.

I was actually going to get one of those snowmen on eBay and hack him. However, they really aren't tall enough to fit in with my display. Everything around this snowman is huge; mega trees, mini mega trees. I decided to make my own and got the frame from Val.

I think if you were going to make a santa, it would be better to buy one and cannibalize it. Unless you know how to make prosthetics, The face would be difficult to make and probably look "scary".
I would want to make my own snowman because I could choose the size.
and it would be fun to do.

Ron

rstately wrote:

I think if you were going to make a santa, it would be better to buy one and cannibalize it. Unless you know how to make prosthetics, The face would be difficult to make and probably look "scary".
I would want to make my own snowman because I could choose the size.
and it would be fun to do.

Virtually all mechanical santas are 'scary' to me. Not sure why, but the snowman seems a lot easier to pull off without looking freaky. Maybe it's because a talking snowman is already freaky, but we're culturally accustomed to that already ;)

I, too saw Mike Z's snowman and wanted to pull something like that off, but didn't get anywhere past the "want" stage. Very nice work here Greg!

One other question:

So you're using a DIO board for this, and not a ServoDog? I'm pretty stupid when it comes to electromechanical stuff -- can you discuss the differences and why you went with that option?

Thanks,
-Tim