• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• garyfunk

• rwertz

• RiscIt

• thebaronn

Dale W wrote:

I hope Chuck did/does not put the entire forum in time out.  He did that last year for a few days.

It's not like you couldn't see what was going on and he didn't appreciate the traffic and community building.

Mountainwxman wrote:

Being the owner of a vbulletin forum, he better hope he has a backup of the database.  If not, he's hosed.

In anyway, it's nasty fixing database errors on a forum.

Why would you jump to conclusions like that? For all we know the database server is simply down. It happens. Worse things happen too, but there's no reason to assume the worst.

A database error can be as simple as not being able to connect to the database server.... perhaps because it's not running and it's the weekend and no one has bothered to restart it.

Seriously... There's no reason to freak out just yet.

Listen to your avatar.

Guest wbottomley

RiscIt wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
Being the owner of a vbulletin forum, he better hope he has a backup of the database. If not, he's hosed.

In anyway, it's nasty fixing database errors on a forum.

Why would you jump to conclusions like that? For all we know the database server is simply down. It happens. Worse things happen too, but there's no reason to assume the worst.

I pretty well know what I'm talking about.

Do you own one? If not, you don't have a clue.

Going to purchase another license for one right now!

EDIT: futhermore, I'm not a member there and proud of it!

heh... Wow.

Nope.. I don't "own" one.

Instead I own an IT consulting company who provides hosting, writes custom e-commerce website solutions and manages business networks.

Talk about a fail. You called out the wrong guy on that one. ;)

Nope... I don't have any need to license forum software. I can just write my own as needed. Though I am likely to use an off the shelf solution with a good track record if a client is in a hurry or has a very low budget.

One of the many reasons I am partial to Perl.

That aside, there is no such thing as a 100% secure system, and any program written in any language is easy to compromise if the person/group writing it isn't intelligent.

That's actually PHPs biggest flaw - the barrier to entry is so low that you get a lot of "script kiddies" who don't really know anything about proper program design contributing to lots of open source projects. Bad code in easy to access locations is a failure before it's even finished.

RiscIt wrote:

One of the many reasons I am partial to Perl.

That aside, there is no such thing as a 100% secure system, and any program written in any language is easy to compromise if the person/group writing it isn't intelligent.

That's actually PHPs biggest flaw - the barrier to entry is so low that you get a lot of "script kiddies" who don't really know anything about proper program design contributing to lots of open source projects. Bad code in easy to access locations is a failure before it's even finished.

There is a reason it's called Personal Home Page.

Exactly why I prefer to code for ColdFusion.

RiscIt wrote:

heh... Wow.

Nope.. I don't "own" one.

Instead I own an IT consulting company who provides hosting, writes custom e-commerce website solutions and manages business networks.

Talk about a fail. You called out the wrong guy on that one. ;)

Nope... I don't have any need to license forum software. I can just write my own as needed. Though I am likely to use an off the shelf solution with a good track record if a client is in a hurry or has a very low budget.

Well said RiscIt. Personally, I'd ratrher see phpBB used than vBulletin. But then, I've only been doing this since the days of TBBS and the TRS-80.

Guest wbottomley

RiscIt... no problem.

Garyfunk... I learned this crazy stuff with phpbb.

Anyway, good enough.

PC is back in operation and Chuck Smith's retirement fund is once again growning from the ads you're clicking on. :shock:

Have a great Sunday.

Mountainwxman wrote:

PC is back in operation and Chuck Smith's retirement fund is once again growning from the ads you're clicking on. :shock:

I think that's where we can all agree.

Remind me to tell you about a trade show that the company I worked for put on. The net was just over $950K for the first show and the cost was less than $250K. Point made, I think.

garyfunk wrote:

But then, I've only been doing this since the days of TBBS and the TRS-80.

TBBS was impressive, 64 nodes on one pc... I ran TAG then Renegade myself.

And yes, my high school computer class was on Trash 80's..

bhays wrote:

garyfunk wrote:
But then, I've only been doing this since the days of TBBS and the TRS-80.

TBBS was impressive, 64 nodes on one pc... I ran TAG then Renegade myself.

And yes, my high school computer class was on Trash 80's..

I ran the 32 lines with 12 phone and 20 rs-232 hooked to an IPAD which let you telnet to it. Since you know TBBS, did you ever go to BBSCon or ISPCon? And did you read Boardwatch Magazine?

garyfunk wrote:

I ran the 32 lines with 12 phone and 20 rs-232 hooked to an IPAD which let you telnet to it. Since you know TBBS, did you ever go to BBSCon or ISPCon? And did you read Boardwatch Magazine?

I remember when I discovered the Internet playing around with KA9Q.... I knew it was the future and it was definitely cool, but I also knew it would be the end of the bbs world I enjoyed so much. I was big in Fidonet...I can still remember how thrilled I was when I figured out how to load the video fossil driver so my Binkleyterm would show the different colored boxes...

Yep, I am a veteran of one BBScon and a couple of ISPcon's... In fact there is still a top 100 BBS's poster from Boardwatch hanging on the inside of my closet door in my office... Ahhh.... the good ole days of the monster bbs's running on tons of pc's running PCBoard or similar....Somewhere I still have a picture of Rusty and Edie's setup with the 100's of 286's running all their nodes..

Good times...