Light-O-Rama Forums

1.31 switch

nunofernandes

Can I use 2 separate switches on the 1.31 line going to various controllers?

Because i can't daisy chain 1.31 like DMX or RS485, using a second switch in the yard would keep from running multiple Cat5 cables across the walkway.

thoughts?

Edited by nunofernandes

I have three standard Ethernet switches in my display, one 6 port and two four port. I try to keep them under cover where possible.

They do need protection from the elements, remember.

Some E1.31 controllers DO have switches built in and they can be daisy chained.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PhilMassey said:

I have three standard Ethernet switches in my display, one 6 port and two four port. I try to keep them under cover where possible.

They do need protection from the elements, remember.

Some E1.31 controllers DO have switches built in and they can be daisy chained.

Thanks Phil,

The PixCon16 doesn't have a switch built in, so i will be using a second switch inside an ammo box in the yard to distribute the 1.31 signal. glad to know my setup is going to work.

1 hour ago, nunofernandes said:

Can I use 2 separate switches on the 1.31 line going to various controllers?

Because i can't daisy chain 1.31 like DMX or RS485, using a second switch in the yard would keep from running multiple Cat5 cables across the walkway.

thoughts?

Absolutely.  A switch is also a way to keep under the 300' (100M) cable run limit. The signals are regenerated.

• Thanks 1

You want to be a little more exotic:  POE POWERED (slave/pass thru) switch. It gets its power from a POE switch at the head. No AC required ((I would suspect a STAR configuration off of the AC Powered one)

https://smile.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Gigabit-EdgeSmart-Wall-Mountable-TPE-521ES/dp/B07H28VLFZ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=poe+pass+thru+switch&qid=1597534862&s=electronics&sr=1-4

• 3 weeks later...

I have 3 in my display.  I have them mounted on the lid side of the CG1500 Enclosure of 3 different controller boxes.

I too have 3 in my show but remember and make sure, you do NOT try to connect LOR's regular serial network/RS485 via a switch. It will NOT work and it will fry something.