Light-O-Rama Forums

6 Layer Nested Star

jg2770

Does anyone have detailed instructions on setting up the star with LOR not using DMX.   I can get the first 100 pixiles on just fine but when im adding the next 100 at the end of the last string the light pattern with not match up.  I tried reversing the ports .  nothing i have tried so far has worked.

Thanks

1 hour ago, jg2770 said:

I can get the first 100 pixiles on just fine but when im adding the next 100 at the end of the last string the light pattern with not match up.  I tried reversing the ports

Can you define what you mean by "the light pattern with not match up".  Does the colors not come out right, or which pixels light up, or something else?

When I set the lights to do a spiral the light pattern is perfect on the first 100 pixie Port 1. When I put on the port 2 lights which start at the end of port 1 they are not in sync with the spiral pattern.

First of all, I had not noticed that this is your first posts on the forum.  Welcome to the forum and this addiction.

You're still not giving us much detail.  Can you give us screen captures of the star prop in Preview Editor and config of the Pixie.  Also, if practical, a photo of what the lights are doing wrong.  The more detail that you can give us, the better we can help you.  Since you are new here, I will tell you this.  The file upload space on this forum is VERY limited.  Instead of uploading the screen captures here, upload them to some website (Google drive, dropbox, your own webspace that your ISP most likely provides, etc), and paste the url.  The forum software will automatically insert the photo.  For example, the photo below is actually coming from my web server at home:

Yard_from_Wyze_cam.jpg

BTW, don't use the link icon the the message toolbar.  If you do, you get the text of the link rather than the photo itself - as seen below.

http://www.newburghlights.org/photos/Yard_from_Wyze_cam.jpg

Agree with the above, you can include a simple screen shot to help.  If you using the nested star prop, than pay attention to the network configuration on the right of the definition page.   You have to match the starting pixels and configuration.   Also, make sure your controller is set to 100 pixels per channel.  

For reference, here is my nested star.  In my case it is E1.31 (DMX over Ethernet).

image.thumb.png.83813e2cabdf93d119c71bff5e7957bd.png

Ok I restrung the lights on the star.  I went ccw from the most outer layer.   Im using two Pixie2D units 3F and 40. When i install the first 100 pixels from port 1 everything works fine fine.   When i start the next 100, which im starting from the end of the first string from port 2.  The lights are not in sync with the first string doing a spiral pattern.    My first question is where am i suppose to start installing the lights and do i just keep continuing lights end to end with every 100 on the next port.   

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/my-drive

don't see the image and the link you sent is just a link to a google drive (which when clicked shows me my google drive).  

this is what you should have, notice how the right side defines the start and end by nest of star

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMdz1Lrq_P5C7OwQ_RM7v58-8s5F6ANvZXuEPtuPsJeGFwOhIHm3OAi8zPFc8fq4g

29 minutes ago, jg2770 said:

K6ccc i could not see your nested star with the link.   Hope my link works.  

Not sure how that got there.  Anyway, here it is twice - once as the link, and the second time as the image imbeded...

http://www.newburghlights.org/images/Pixel_Star_preview_config_in_5.4.2.png

Pixel_Star_preview_config_in_5.4.2.png

56 minutes ago, jg2770 said:

Ok I restrung the lights on the star.  I went ccw from the most outer layer.   Im using two Pixie2D units 3F and 40. When i install the first 100 pixels from port 1 everything works fine fine.   When i start the next 100, which im starting from the end of the first string from port 2.  The lights are not in sync with the first string doing a spiral pattern.    My first question is where am i suppose to start installing the lights and do i just keep continuing lights end to end with every 100 on the next port.   

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/my-drive

You can build it any way that you please - as long as the Preview matches the way it is actually built.  I will point out that when using the pre-built Nested Star Prop, there are only four options for starting location and direction of rotation, and that the outer star is the first one, so if you are using the Nested Star that is pre-built into the Preview Editor, you do need to do it one of those four ways.  However if you manually build each star as strings connected, you could do it any way that you want - a lot more work however...

Any no, I could not see your Google Drive.  You need to go into Google Drive and either share the specific files, or if you put many files in one folder, share that folder.  When you share it, you can set it up so that anyone who has the link can see it.  Then post the shared link (there is a copy link button to make it easy).  It will be a huge long link such as this one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1owvo5z6n1_mBw2m-xulBjb8937bphuN-/view?usp=sharing

Edited by k6ccc

in your screen shot, you are setting up with DMX, but in original post, you said without DMX.  If you want to use a PIXIE with 100 lights, you should set the type to LOR and the max circuit to 300 (100 3 channel pixels).    But there are various ways to do it.

Yes, I can now see your screen captures, and likely your problem.  Please tell me EXACTLY how the strings are wired.  What I am looking for is something like this (using my star as an example):

Controller 1, output 14 (universe 27, channels 1 - 270): star 1 (outer) (70 pixels), then continues on star 6 (inner) (20 pixels) for a total of 90 pixels on that output.

Controller 1, output 15 (universe 28, channels 1 - 270): star 2 (60 pixels), then continues on star 5 (30 pixels) for a total of 90 pixels on that output.

Controller 1, output 16 (universe 29, channels 1 - 270): star 3 (50 pixels), then continues on star 4 (40 pixels) for a total of 90 pixels on that output.

Obviously mine is DMX and yours is LOR, but the format should be similar.  You are welcome to copy and paste my text and edit with your numbers.

My guess is that your problem is that I assume you are using two outputs from each controller.  A Pixie controller uses one controller Unit ID number for each output.  Therefore, your first pixel is using Unit IDs 3F and 40, and the second Pixie is using Unit IDs 40 and 41.  Unit ID 40 is overlapping.  And yes, that means a Pixie 16 uses 16 Unit IDs.

In the Duh, why didn't I think of this department...  Although I have not actually built this star, it is in my Preview and will be the same star you have and being controlled by a single Pixie-4 controller (using three of the outputs).  Same wiring arrangement as E1.31 based star.

Mega-tree_Star_preview_config_in_5.4.2.p

OK, I did not think about it cause I have not built it - and don't really expect to this year either...  Although I have all the lights, controller, and the star from Boscoyo.  What i expect not to have is time (or ambition).

ok so i need to set the unit id for the first pixie 2   to  3D and 3E and the second pixie 2   to 3F and 40

i have the light strung with port 1 starting ccw bottom right im running it around the star 70 on outer layer then im going onto layer with 30 nodes from that first 100 node string.  then im starring the second string of 100 nodes with 30 to finish the 60 node layer then on to the 50 node layer then onto the 40 with 10 nodes going into that layer. and so on until i get to the center layer where i cut a string to get 20 nodes.  

oh the second pixie 2  port 1 would start on the 40 node layer at the 11th node..    im sure im doing this all wrong.  to run with LOR not DMX