Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24D power source bad

Randall Huber

I have 2 cmb24d controllers for my floods and dumb ribbons.  I have no power to one of the controllers.  I switched out the fuses and nothing.  I was wonder if it was possible to connect both controllers to one power source.  I have this power source:

12vdc-60-watt-power-supply-2.gif

It is possible. I had the same power supply running my CMB24 and I had a problem with my lights and the board making a noise when the lights where working. I checked the voltage and it was about 11.50 volts, but was not under a load. Sent the board in for repair. I ordered a new CMB24 and connected it, but it did the same as the old board. LOR couldn't find anything wrong with the old board. I installed a new power supply and everything works fine. 

The LOR power supplies are only 200w so if you connect two boards to one power supply you will probably overload the ps. If both boards were just running the 10w floods then sure you would be good but since you are also running strips make sure you total up your usage as most strips go 36w.

80W used if you have the LOR Flood 8-pack

Mr P points out that many 5M strips (or 50cnt Bullets) run ~36W each  (or about 4 floods worth)

Those numbers are for White.  Single color usage is about 1/3 (IIRC Red take a bit more, and Blue a bit less). IMHO 100% is not a number to aim at or hit. Especially for some of the flash effects we do. (Slamming from 0-100% load  repeatedly is verry hard on the circuitry.. Ramping is kindly :D). Were theses well ventilated? Open air is best as that is why they are W/P.   I use the 400W (33A) one from HC, ($28+shipping), but enclosing these will still lead to failure also, they do get warm even under a 200W load.

If you are pushing a CMB24 to the LIMITS, you need 2 of these: 1 for each 30A bank (the extra 3 is good headroom)

Thanks guys, yes, I am running 8 LOR floods on 1 board and 5 dumb strips on the board with no power.  Yes, it has 6 vent holes the size of quarters on the enclosure.  It worked great night before last then nothing last night.  I even had the enclosure door open as it hangs under a covered porch

• The topic was locked