Light-O-Rama Forums

Where To Put The Showtime MiniDirector??

BobW

This is my 1st year with lighting. I purchased a Pixel Tree and a miniDirector to drive it. I had intended to put the miniDirector inside the controller case, short cat 5 cable, protected, etc. However, it just doesn't quite fit. Any suggestions on possible changes in the controller to make it fit? Any ideas on what I can do with it? I suppose I could try to find a small waterproof box for it and tape it to the outside of the controller(?). But knowing the plethora of experience here on the forum, I figured I start with a shout out.

Thanks,

Bob

10 minutes ago, BobW said:

This is my 1st year with lighting. I purchased a Pixel Tree and a miniDirector to drive it. I had intended to put the miniDirector inside the controller case, short cat 5 cable, protected, etc. However, it just doesn't quite fit. Any suggestions on possible changes in the controller to make it fit? Any ideas on what I can do with it? I suppose I could try to find a small waterproof box for it and tape it to the outside of the controller(?). But knowing the plethora of experience here on the forum, I figured I start with a shout out.

Thanks,

Bob

You can get a small enclosure for cheap and mount it to it. You want the mini director close to the first controller.

My mini director controls my Tune To sign , it fit inside the enclosure and my pixie8 and power supply. Try mounting it to the door of the enclosure. Pay attention to the cat 5 cables while mounting so you can close the door without messing up a jack.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

You can get a small enclosure for cheap and mount it to it. You want the mini director close to the first controller.

JR

I live in Iowa, does the mini director withstand below zero temps!?

Just now, Golfer said:

I live in Iowa, does the mini director withstand below zero temps!?

Shouldn't be a problem, believe it or not the past two years we have had some around zero and below temps way down here in AL. This Halloween it was 29 at my house. LOL

2 Years ago the drone would not heat up enough to get off the ground. I had pixels freeze up but my sign kept going.

JR

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Shouldn't be a problem, believe it or not the past two years we have had some around zero and below temps way down here in AL. This Halloween it was 29 at my house. LOL

2 Years ago the drone would not heat up enough to get off the ground. I had pixels freeze up but my sign kept going.

JR

Thanks, this will minimize one wiring question I had trying to get both power and data out to the controller.  I like one less cord!

Moisture is a bigger problem in climates that freeze and thaw. Put it inside something that keeps it dry, ans isolates it from the wind (which cools it, allowing the normal,  drying warmth,  to be cooled. Also, if anything can remain powered inside the same box,it will warm it.  (A C7 incan night light)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Shouldn't be a problem, believe it or not the past two years we have had some around zero and below temps way down here in AL.

JR

Do you leave power applied to you pixels (even if the are  off)? Are they 12V or 5V?

8 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Do you leave power applied to you pixels (even if the are  off)? Are they 12V or 5V?

Yes, I do it right, you just never know. I will NEVER run anything 5v, all are 12.

Let me add,, they were playing at the time they froze. Same night the drone would not get all 4 motors hot enough to take off. I was recording the show when it happened. The next day when the temp rose to about 36 they worked fine. Not sure if the controllers or the pixels froze. Funny the small pixel tune to sign continued to work along with all regular lights. One by one every other pixel props stopped. The first I notices was my circles.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

3 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Moisture is a bigger problem in climates that freeze and thaw. Put it inside something that keeps it dry, ans isolates it from the wind (which cools it, allowing the normal,  drying warmth,  to be cooled. Also, if anything can remain powered inside the same box,it will warm it.  (A C7 incan night light)

Actually, only use an enclosure, do not wrap it in anything, that will contain moisture. I do not use the rubber seals in my built controllers that way any moisture that may get in will drain through the holes. Never had a problem.

Just wanted to ensure that the comment wasn't perceived by someone to put a controller or anything in a bag or wrap it.

JR

Nice price on this - Think it would work?  ONly thing is it looks like it has to be flat on ground or other surface

SOCKiTBOX - The Original Weatherproof Connection Box - Indoor & Outdoor Electrical Power Cord Enclosure for Timers, Extension Cables, Transformers, Power Strips, Lights, Tools & More - Medium - Black
by E SHOPPE
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00274SLK8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_JUwZDbZDFCAZ8

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Actually, only use an enclosure, do not wrap it in anything, that will contain moisture. I do not use the rubber seals in my built controllers that way any moisture that may get in will drain through the holes. Never had a problem.

Just wanted to ensure that the comment wasn't perceived by someone to put a controller or anything in a bag or wrap it.

JR

Correct. I was thinking more like a GG-1500, mounted upright, off the ground, just like the original, intended usage: Datacom entering a premis.

I would use the foam seals. More to keep it larger Critter free than keep water/snow out.

"Let it drip"

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Correct. I was thinking more like a GG-1500, mounted upright, off the ground, just like the original, intended usage: Datacom entering a premis.

I would use the foam seals. More to keep it larger Critter free than keep water/snow out.

"Let it drip"

Never a critter problem here. My controllers stay on from Halloween show start until take down. I think they are all scared of the noise. Never even a spider and I have 8 controllers in my bushes.

I use cg -1500 for my 4's and 8's and 2500's for 16's and huge boxes for my 16, 8 and 4 combos. 

JR

• The topic was locked