Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Question on S5 and assiging Units ID to strands

jimbo

Thanks in advance for the help.

I am running S5 and have 1 x-8 Pixie Controller, 4 x RGB Flood lights, a 16 controller and a 1x 2 CCPII Controller.  i have 24 different strands of the Cosmic Bullets.

I created a sequence in the preview.  I have also successfully used the Hardware Utility to assign proper ID's to each of the Controllers.  I've tested the ports and everything works.

But now I'm now stuck... how do I assign the Unit IDs that I used in the preview (and have no conflicts) to the different controllers that I have?  In other words, if I would like a specific strand of my Cosmic Bullets (that I've named in the preview and is Unit 03) to be assigned to the 8 pixie controller, I'm not sure how to orchestrate that within the sequencer?

(Hopefully my question makes sense)

THANK YOU!!

Jim

Thank you... I don’t think my question was specific enough.  A better summary:

I Just bought: 1) Pixie16, 2) Pixie8, 3) CCCII, 4) Four RGB floods,  and 5) CCB Pixie lights for each port of the controllers (26 strands)

Running Pro S5 (which was just downloaded)

I Successfully set the Unit IDs in the hardware utility – Unit 1 = Pixie8, Unit 2 = Flood1, Unit 3 = Flood2, Unit4 = Flood3, Unit 5=Flood4, Unit 6 = Pixi16, Unit 7= CCCII

I created a sequence.  In the Previewer of S5 software, I defined each strand of light as a prop and gave each prop a unique Unit ID.  I have a total of 26 props (strands) + 4 Flood lights for a total of 30 props.  So I used #’s 1 -30 of the Unit ID’s in the Preview software.

Clearly I missed something…

How Do I assign my Pixie8 (as an example), to Units 1-8 of the Previewer.  Or perhaps asked a different way, how do I assign Unit IDs # 1-8 in the Previewer to be the 8 ports of my Pixie8?  (and similarly the 16 ports of my Pixie16 to be 9-24 of the Previewer Unit IDs)?

Thank you!!!

Jim 

Ok, I think  I see your issue. The Pixie8 has 8 connectors coming out of it (and Pixie16 has 16), correct? Each one of those is a Unit ID. So when you assign the Pixie 8 to Unit 1, the Pixie8 AUTOMATICALLY assigns Unit IDs 2-8 to the remaining connectors. So, in your example, you would have:

Pixie8 = Unit IDs 1-8

Flood1 = UnitID 9

Flood 2 = UnitID 10

Flood 3 = UnitID 11

Flood 4 UnitID 12

Pixie16 = UnitIDs 13-28

CCCII = UnitID 29

You should go back to HU and reset the unit IDs. You can, of course rearrange them so the Pixies are 1-8 and 9-24, etc.

Edited by tlogan

Ah-ha.  Thank You!  I read the S5 manual, watched the videos, and checked these boards but this answer was nowhere listed.  I appreciate your help!!!

jim 

Glad to help. Lord knows I've gotten PLENTY of help from other forum members!

User dibblejr created a pretty comprehensive guide to setting up a Pixie since there have been so many questions about it. He programs using S4, but the thing is, the Pixie setup is the same no matter which version of software you are using. I think it was made a sticky in on of the forums, I just don't remember which. 

tlogan, you Unit ID sequence is wrong:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10...........   They are numbered in hex.

The actual numbering would be:

Pixie8 = Unit IDs 1-8

Flood1 = UnitID 9

Flood 2 = UnitID 0A

Flood 3 = UnitID 0B

Flood 4 UnitID 0C

Pixie16 = UnitIDs 0D-1C

CCCII = UnitID 1D

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

Just now, tlogan said:

Forgot about that. So far, I only have two pixies and 3 16 channel controllers so I haven't had to go past 09.

It gets confusing and is easy to forget. I always find myself referring the charts in the back of the manuals.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone!!!

Does the Hardware Utility allow for Hex numbering?  From memory, when I assigned a new unit, the drop down menu only showed numeric counting...

5 minutes ago, jimbo said:

Thank you everyone!!!

Does the Hardware Utility allow for Hex numbering?  From memory, when I assigned a new unit, the drop down menu only showed numeric counting...

Yes it does, everything in LOR allows for hex numbering. You can find numbering charts in the back of most manuals. I always use the CMB24D manual.

Edited by Mr. P

• The topic was locked