Light-O-Rama Forums

Floridian's check in

LOR Staff

1 hour ago, Orville said:

Even if it had hit us direct, the stuff I tied down wouldn't have stayed put if it had hit us as a Category 5 Hurricane.  Even though many items were weighted down with blocks and bricks, a Cat5 would have blown them away like paper in a breeze.   And if it had, I wouldn't have stayed put where I am either, anything above a Cat2 and we do evacuate the manufactured home in that case.    But the last few we've been through and left, our manufactured home only sustained very minor issues, mainly just damaged skirting and that just got a bit bent out of shape, didn't lose any.

We left Orlando Monday morning, the wind had picked up. We didn't hit bands of heavy rain along the turnpike but once we got on I - 10 all was well.

We arrived in Orlando on Wed. Disney was a bust though. Large group 3 rides in 2 days. Power was down so the boys fav rides were shut down.

JR

17 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

We left Orlando Monday morning, the wind had picked up. We didn't hit bands of heavy rain along the turnpike but once we got on I - 10 all was well.

We arrived in Orlando on Wed. Disney was a bust though. Large group 3 rides in 2 days. Power was down so the boys fav rides were shut down.

JR

Interesting, we hardly got much wind at all in my section.  And odd that Disney's power was shut down, because Disney has their own power generating plant, but they agreed to use "outside utilities" because the power companies complained about it.   Disney could be totally self-reliant if "outside forces" would leave them alone to their own devices.   So Disney, if they could have fired up their own power plant could have kept everything running in the park, unless the ride{s} were down for maintenance, issue with the ride or it was being renovated into something new.

We got a few spotty showers, but the winds that came with them were very minor in my area, which is odd, because I'm only like 65-70mph from the Atlantic Coastline!    But Dorian barely touched us where I live, no flooding, nothing.  Even my neighbors that boarded up their manufactured homes are complaining, why did I do this when nothing happened here?

Edited by Orville

37 minutes ago, lanopie said:

That's good news then, hope the other members along the coast are OK also!

My oldest sister lives in Melbourne, FL very near the coast {less than 15 miles} and she came out fine.  She said there is some damage in the area, but not as bad as it could have been.

Very good news in Orange Park/Jacksonville, we had winds and a little rain, we were very lucky in that Dorian tracked east about 50 miles off Mathews track, the hurricane winds barely reached the coast and rain was really down. Mathew we got 17 inch's rain and Dorian we only received 3 inch's rain. I don't believe we even got more than 40 mph wind gusts at my home, Mathew was easy 70 mph. Amazing how much difference in 50 miles of a track.

Florida was very lucky Dorian tracked off the coast more easterly but unfortunately The Carolinas were not as lucky, our prayers to our friends there and hope you all can clean up quickly.

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Or did it?  We evacuated to FL

JR

Sounded like Disney was a bust. Hopefully the food was good....

38 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

Sounded like Disney was a bust. Hopefully the food was good....

Only good thing was the food.

We were at the MK and over 1/2 rides were down the 2 days we visited. We had a special event, reason for only 2 days but with the diversity of ages between 14 of us, it was more than enough.

Disney has become like most other huge companies "non customer service driven". Spent 6 hours the first day trying to fix the tickets we purchased through their site. Only comp give Fast Passes and with the rides being down they were worthless.

Next year not renewing the annual membership.

JR

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Only good thing was the food.

We were at the MK and over 1/2 rides were down the 2 days we visited. We had a special event, reason for only 2 days but with the diversity of ages between 14 of us, it was more than enough.

Disney has become like most other huge companies "non customer service driven". Spent 6 hours the first day trying to fix the tickets we purchased through their site. Only comp give Fast Passes and with the rides being down they were worthless.

Next year not renewing the annual membership.

JR

And being a "true native Floridian" is why I don't support Disney at all.  And I had an annual pass many, many moons ago, but will never, not ever buy another one.  I don't even go there, even if I still owned a vehicle and could drive, I do not visit or spend money on those tourist traps that also drain the funds of Floridians that go there.   Cost is way overboard what it should be and it just keeps higher and higher, yet they never increase their employees wages!  And I know all too well, they could and CAN afford to do that.   Worked there back in 1977, WORST JOB of ANY I ever had.  Personally I wish NONE of these dad-blasted theme parks ever moved into my area, it did nothing but ruin the real beauty and charm of the town I grew up in!

So I wonder if we're going to get hit by either of those other 2 disturbances out there in the Atlantic and if they become Hurricanes or not?  Haven't had a chance to watch any newscasts on Sunday to see what's going on out there.  {To bring this back sort-of, on topic}. :)

10 hours ago, Orville said:

So I wonder if we're going to get hit by either of those other 2 disturbances out there in the Atlantic and if they become Hurricanes or not? 

Hurricane Humberto is headed away from the eastern coast of the USA.  Bermuda is in it's path with an expected arrival on Thursday morning.

What the NWS calls "Disturbance 1" is about half way between the western coast of Africa and North Western coast of South America and has 90% chance of becoming cyclonic within five days.  Current motion has it pointed well north of Florida, but it is WAY too early for that level of forecasting.

What the NWS calls "Disturbance 2" is off the coast of Houston, but is showing a 10% chance of becoming cyclonic in 5 days.  It is expected to produce some heavy rain along the Texas coast later this week.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Hurricane Humberto is headed away from the eastern coast of the USA.  Bermuda is in it's path with an expected arrival on Thursday morning.

What the NWS calls "Disturbance 1" is about half way between the western coast of Africa and North Western coast of South America and has 90% chance of becoming cyclonic within five days.  Current motion has it pointed well north of Florida, but it is WAY too early for that level of forecasting.

What the NWS calls "Disturbance 2" is off the coast of Houston, but is showing a 10% chance of becoming cyclonic in 5 days.  It is expected to produce some heavy rain along the Texas coast later this week.

Thanks for the update Jim.  I've been working on some things for Christmas, and by the time I think it's news time {I don't have cable, just an old antenna} and look at the clock, dadgum, it's already past. 

I'm still creating and working on sequences for Christmas whether they get used or not outdoors this year, I'm not sure as yet.   Still thinking of ways I can protect my "investments" in this crazy hobby of ours from our lawn folks.

1 hour ago, Orville said:

I'm still creating and working on sequences for Christmas whether they get used or not outdoors this year, I'm not sure as yet.   Still thinking of ways I can protect my "investments" in this crazy hobby of ours from our lawn folks.

Put the wires in steel pipe.  They may start paying attention after the first time the lawn mower hits it.  I had to do that at a previous house.  The next door neighbor's gardener kept hitting an exposed section of PVC sprinkler pipe.  After I had to replace it several times, I replaced it with steel pipe.  I happened to be around the first time the gardener was there after I put in the steel.  Heard the loud clanks and cursing.  After he had to spend 10 minutes replacing a trashed blade, he never hit it again.

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Put the wires in steel pipe.  They may start paying attention after the first time the lawn mower hits it.  I had to do that at a previous house.  The next door neighbor's gardener kept hitting an exposed section of PVC sprinkler pipe.  After I had to replace it several times, I replaced it with steel pipe.  I happened to be around the first time the gardener was there after I put in the steel.  Heard the loud clanks and cursing.  After he had to spend 10 minutes replacing a trashed blade, he never hit it again.

Thanks for the idea Jim.  I will look into that.   My concern is the plastic Blow Molds and other decor that aren't or can't be put inside a structure because they are out in the open, like the Blow Molds and Wall Mounted Decorations and Light Strands that can be cut or damaged by careless weed whacker employees.    They are the ones that are the most likely to damage anything that's open and exposed.

• The topic was locked