Light-O-Rama Forums

Floridian's check in

LOR Staff

Ok fellow residents of the great state of FL, let's check in and be safe out there this coming week.  I know a lot can change in 3-4 days, but Dorian looks like it's going to affect pretty much all of us.

Prepare.  Be safe.  And most importantly -  check in NOW with your neighbors and then again after the storm when it is safe.  

We're here and even though we're in a "mobile home", we're staying put.  The last few hurricanes we left and nothing happened, so this time my wife and I are staying home with the cats.  We'll see how it goes.

We did have our homes tie-downs checked and they were in perfect condition and are supposed to be able to withstand winds up to 180MPH, so I think we'll be fine.

After all, many of our basic Thunderstorms around here can generate 70-80+ MPH wind gusts at times, and I've seen some of those high winds sustained and we stayed put, so I see no reason top evacuate this go around.  We did 3 times in the past and all 3 times, it was a MISERABLE experience.   So my wife and I aren't going anywhere but staying put and ride this one out with our cats.

Will check in after the storm if all is well and we still have power and internet service after the storm has come and gone.

Good luck you all!

The forecast does not look pretty for the east coast of your state.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:56 PM, k6ccc said:

Good luck you all!

The forecast does not look pretty for the east coast of your state.

As of last track it will stay off the coast of Florida and in the Atlantic as it goes Northward, we'll still get high winds inland, worst high winds will be in the coastal counties, where I am in Orlando the sustained winds will be anywhere from 70-100 mph starting late Monday or early Tuesday morning and lasting through Wednesday evening{so they speculate}.   So it won't be as bad as it could have been from the earlier predictions. 

But we still have Hurricane Wind and Flood advisories for many of the inland counties as yet.   We just have to wait it out and see if it makes that hard right turn to the North sooner than currently anticipated.

Prayers and fingers crossed it makes that hard right even earlier than the last track, but as with all things, that could still change, and it could once again head straight for us again.  Time will tell.  But for the moment, it looks much better than what was originally going to happen.

Edited by Orville

On 8/29/2019 at 1:16 PM, DevMike said:

Ok fellow residents of the great state of FL, let's check in and be safe out there this coming week.  I know a lot can change in 3-4 days, but Dorian looks like it's going to affect pretty much all of us.

Prepare.  Be safe.  And most importantly -  check in NOW with your neighbors and then again after the storm when it is safe.  

Your storms last year were just terrible. I just heard our local Oklahoma news say this would be Florida's worst in 30 years!

Praying for all of you. Take care.

Orville

Looks like your prayers may be answered, the latest update shows 150 mph 😱, but it is now maybe turning north earlier, and with all our prayers maybe it will leave us alone, but now Georgia and the Carolinas have to worry more, I'm up in Jacksonville and this track change is hopeful but I am still going to continue cleaning gutters and watch the the track. Lets just hope Jim Cantore doesn't come north to quickly.

Keith

1 hour ago, Kapkirk said:

Orville

Looks like your prayers may be answered, the latest update shows 150 mph 😱, but it is now maybe turning north earlier, and with all our prayers maybe it will leave us alone, but now Georgia and the Carolinas have to worry more, I'm up in Jacksonville and this track change is hopeful but I am still going to continue cleaning gutters and watch the the track. Lets just hope Jim Cantore doesn't come north to quickly.

Keith

Unfortunately if it makes a cat5, it could still head westward straight into the Florida Coastline somewhere down around the Miami area and either cross the state into the Gulf of Mexico or make that North turn straight up the center of the state{sure hope and pray this doesn't happen!}.  

I hope the latest news we got at noon Saturday 8/31 stays the way that track showed, instead of just 30 miles off our Florida East coast, it'll be 70 miles off our coastline, sure praying for this one to be the way it goes, even further away would be better.  But tropical force winds we get at times in our standard afternoon/overnight thunderstorms, those winds can be damaging in those thunderstorms and have been, but not as bad as if a direct hit on us would occur.

Still praying and keeping fingers crossed it stays as far away from our Florida East coast, especially since it's now grown to 400 miles wide and may be still larger than that by the time it finally does get near us.

Fort Lauderdale here ,  we are out of the cone, as the latest news cast, yeah !  still prepped for lots of wind and rain, cause ya just never know . We went thru Wilma which did 50 gran worth of damage to our house so we always get right to work getting ready.   Our Island neighbors are getting pounded as the storm passes over on its way more north, hope all survive.   Lets all hope it doesn't do a jiggle like Michael did. 

David 

Anyone notice the other Tropical Storm following directly in Dorian's path now? 

Haven't heard any mention of TS Juliette on the news, just Dorian, but Juliette is a Tropical Storm presently and currently is following along the exact same path as Hurricane Dorian{per the Hurricane Tracking map I've been watching}.    

I sure hope we're not in for another round of "back to back" Hurricanes in Florida like we had quite a few years back.   That nobody needs, I know we sure don't!!!

Edited by Orville
Correct "how" to "hope" and fix punctuation.

Orville

Yes somebody else has noticed that one too, my wife is wearing me out about that year we had 4 hurricanes in Florida, she said she will not go through that again. I can't remember the names right now but that was a year to remember if I didn't have can't remember s___ itis. Anyway we are all watching the weather channel like it is a drug, told my wife I have to go in and get my 2 PM weather channel fix cause I was going into withdrawal's.

Still hoping it goes farther east as it may finally be going north, at least it started at 1 MPH LOL.

Keith

1 hour ago, Orville said:

Haven't heard any mention of TS Juliette on the news, just Dorian, but Juliette is a Tropical Storm presently and currently is following along the exact same path as Hurricane Dorian{per the Hurricane Tracking map I've been watching}.    

Orville,  Juliette is in the eastern Pacific over largely empty ocean.  Nothing else in the Atlantic at this time per the National Weather Service.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Orville,  Juliette is in the eastern Pacific over largely empty ocean.  Nothing else in the Atlantic at this time per the National Weather Service.

That's odd, because the Hurricane map I'm looking at is the Atlantic and it shows Juliette right along the same exact path as Dorian.   So if it's in the Pacific, why are they showing it in the Atlantic?   That's very strange.

Actually it's even weirder now, now it only shows Dorian, but this morning I guess someone goofed when I had looked at the tracking because they had TS Juliette on the map directly behind Dorian, I just checked again, and now it's no longer there.  So someone must have added it to the wrong area earlier.   Glad it's NOT on our sie and is over in Pacific, because they had Dorian's TD and TS locations marked as Juliette this morning.  And hence my post above.    I guess not many folks saw that or someone caught it and told the weather service about it and it got corrected.   I can only guess.  But, again, glad it's not on our side of the world heading to Florida!

Edited by Orville

1 hour ago, Kapkirk said:

Orville

Yes somebody else has noticed that one too, my wife is wearing me out about that year we had 4 hurricanes in Florida, she said she will not go through that again. I can't remember the names right now but that was a year to remember if I didn't have can't remember s___ itis. Anyway we are all watching the weather channel like it is a drug, told my wife I have to go in and get my 2 PM weather channel fix cause I was going into withdrawal's.

Still hoping it goes farther east as it may finally be going north, at least it started at 1 MPH LOL.

Keith

Come to find out that was an error, someone goofed and put Juliette on the WRONG tracking map this morning, it's been removed and put where it really is, in the Pacific, far, far away from us.   Thank you to whomever put Juliette on the wrong map, giving us a 2nd storm to possibly have to worry about, but no longer!

Edited by Orville

Now this is interesting, I didn't know there were so many songs using the word "Hurricane" in them, just decided to search YouTube and see what showed up:

You can check the list of song videos here: YouTube Video List of songs about or use the word Hurricane in them.

So now for the zany side of this, who wants to sequence these for the next time a Hurricane is coming and put on a light show for the next Hurricane that rolls in? 

Sorry folks, just couldn't resist this one!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well Orville, I don't know about Juliette, but there are 4 disturbances in the Atlantic right now besides Dorian, looks like 2 will have no effect but the other 2 will be watched in next week or two, Dorian might move by then we hope, I know those folks in the Bahamas will sure be happy if and when it moves off, our prayers for those poor folks, the damage Dorian is doing to them is terrible.

The latest info on Dorian from the hurricane center puts the probable track a little further east, and that is great news for us on the first coast. I was fearing a major hurricane was upon us and Mathew scared us enough in 2016 and we did not want a repeat or worse.

Keith

3 hours ago, lanopie said:

Hey Orville,

How did you manage with the hurricane, are you OK?  Give us an update please.. :)

Pierre

Didn't even phase us here in the Northeast quadrant of Orlando where I live.  I think the highest winds we got were not more than maybe 22-25 mph and we didn't even get that much rain in my sector either.  A few short downpours here and there, but nothing like they were stating on the newscasts in my area.  

I was expecting worse and had brought in outdoor statuary {lightweight stuff} and tie down outdoor furniture to some heavier items, all was unnecessary!   

Our usual afternoon thunderstorms create higher winds than what we got with Dorian off our coast.   Dorian was a WIMP for us compared to our standard afternoon to evening thunderstorms in my area.  

So no damages, no power outages, everything went pretty much as normal for us. 

All that work I did was for nothing, but better safe than sorry afterward I suppose. ;)

Yea, but you would have been in deep s#$%t if the storm track had gone right over your head (as the early forecasts showed).

10 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Yea, but you would have been in deep s#$%t if the storm track had gone right over your head (as the early forecasts showed).

Even if it had hit us direct, the stuff I tied down wouldn't have stayed put if it had hit us as a Category 5 Hurricane.  Even though many items were weighted down with blocks and bricks, a Cat5 would have blown them away like paper in a breeze.   And if it had, I wouldn't have stayed put where I am either, anything above a Cat2 and we do evacuate the manufactured home in that case.    But the last few we've been through and left, our manufactured home only sustained very minor issues, mainly just damaged skirting and that just got a bit bent out of shape, didn't lose any.

Edited by Orville