Light-O-Rama Forums

Issues getting RS485 to work with Aplhapix controllets

rp285598

I have three alphapix (smart) controllers. All the strips connects to these three controllers work as expected. I have 6 dumb controllers using the RS485 output port on the Alphapix controller.i set unique ID on each dumb controller using the dip switches. The are RGB dumb nodes connected to each output on the 6 Dumb controllers. All these dumb RGBs are setup in one of thress universes (1,2, or 3).im able to launch xlights and get the dumb RGBs to turn off and on using xlights. Im unable to get the dumb RGBs to turn on with LOR either in the HU (pixel console) or by running sequence. Ive verfied all the dumb controllers are getring keepalive signal from AphaPix controllers. Im wondering is the addresses i have setup on these dumb controllers should not be set. Ive been able to find any docs to help explain if it does or not. Im running LOR 4.4.0. Any suggestions on how to get these three universes that contain RGBs  to work in LOR. 

Edited by rp285598
Misspelled word

Each Alphapix controller has a unique IP. Im able to ping and reach the web interface on each. The RS485 is enabled on the Alphapix with the correct Universes configured. 

16 minutes ago, rp285598 said:

Each Alphapix controller has a unique IP. Im able to ping and reach the web interface on each. The RS485 is enabled on the Alphapix with the correct Universes configured. 

Did you enable the DMX outputs and assign the universes in the Alphapix menu? Did you change the CMB24D jumpers?

Also make sure the LOR Control Panel is running.

Edited by Mr. P

21 minutes ago, rp285598 said:

Concerning the jumper settings i did setup each dumb controller with a unique ID (1 through 😎 since I have 8 dumb controllers

I think what the question was about. Aren't the Alphapix DMX outputs? The LOR devices need those jumpers moved if this is true

If I set the DMX start address for my E1.11 controller to address 1 with it using Universe 1, how do you configure LOR4 to start with DMX address 1 on universe 1? I have my E1.31 universes configured under network preferences but not the universes used for the RS485. I believe this ilmay be the issue. 

5 minutes ago, rp285598 said:

If I set the DMX start address for my E1.11 controller to address 1 with it using Universe 1, how do you configure LOR4 to start with DMX address 1 on universe 1? I have my E1.31 universes configured under network preferences but not the universes used for the RS485. I believe this ilmay be the issue. 

To set the DMX addresses; Example: if you assign one universe for each port on the alphapix then that would use 16 universes, you would set universe 17 in the alphapix menu for the first CMB24D and assign the dip switches to 1 (000000001). This would make the CMB24D use DMX channels 1-24 for the RGB channels. For the second CMB24D you could daisychain and set the dip switches on the CMB24D to 25 (000011001). This would use DMX channels 25-48 for the RGB channels on the second CMB24D and up to 512. If you use the second port on the Alphapix then you can assign universe 18 and the next 512 channels.

In LOR Network Preferences you assign universe 17 to the same IP as the Alphapix up to a max of 32 universes.