Light-O-Rama Forums

MINI STROBES ON STOCK PER 6 DOLAR

barbosaa

I know both of those vendors are good, but my understanding is the the christmaslightshow strobes are silicone sealed (or weatherproofed).

Is 25 strobes too little?

Hello All,

If you bought only Action Lighting Strobes you would probably be happy. But there is a difference. Our strobes are much brighter and much faster. Ours flash 3 to 4 flashes a second where Action flashes 1 per second.

I could have gotten the same strobe and made it to the Specs everyone likes and sold them at the same price that Action Lighting sales them, but I did not like it that the board inside set horizontal. This is bad if you have condensation problems. The water can't run off. And most people would drill into the board when trying to put a weep hole it.

Although mine are sealed and does keep water out, you can't keep the condensation out. They all have to have holes placed in the side facing down to let and condensation out and air in to keep them dry. Condenstaion comes more from them setting in that sun light during the day and not so much getting hot and cold when you are running them at night. If you are in some western areas on the west coast you might not ever have to worry about condensation.

Folks, Thanks for the posts. I thought about adding some strobes this year for another display.

darrylb wrote:

I could have gotten the same strobe and made it to the Specs everyone likes and sold them at the same price that Action Lighting sales them, but I did not like it that the board inside set horizontal. This is bad if you have condensation problems. The water can't run off. And most people would drill into the board when trying to put a weep hole it.

I don't really think most people worry about mounting their strobes in an upright fashion. Seems like they just screw them in their sockets and put them wherever they need them. Horizontal may end up vertical or vice-versa. :(

Not saying your strobes are bad or anything, just want to say there are other options out there in case you're sold out.

BTW, your strobes look exactly like the strobes I picked up from Party City last Halloween on clearance for $3. Wish I would have picked up all they had. :(

darrylb wrote:

If you bought only Action Lighting Strobes you would probably be happy. But there is a difference. Our strobes are much brighter and much faster. Ours flash 3 to 4 flashes a second where Action flashes 1 per second.

Action Lighting's strobes also take about 1/2 second to charge up prior to firing, and can continue to fire for 1-2 seconds after you turn the channel off. This might not sound like a lot, but if you're trying to time the strobe's firing with any degree of accuracy, it's darn near impossible. They also have tons of condensation in them.

I have a dozen of Action Lighting's strobes, a dozen of Darryl's strobes, and just ordered another dozen from Darryl. So I should have a nice mix of fast and slow firing strobes.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen shorter C9 socket strings? ... like 5 sockets or less?

I was to scatter strobes at various places around the property and will be plugging just a couple of strobes into an LOR channel at various places. I would not want to buy several 25-feet long string just to use a couple of sockets on each one. And I sure don't want to make them by hand.

RGH

If you get the sockets from Action Lighting, it's no big deal. Just take some SPT2 wire, and place them (sockets/strobes) where you want 'em. It's not difficult to make at all - just snap 'em together on the wire, and you've got your C9 socket where you want it.

Thanks for this suggestion. I see what you mean when I went to the site and searched for C9 sockets. It is still a manual process of getting the sockets, wire, and plug, then cutting the wire and assembling them all by hand. I was hoping for something readily accessible, but this is a good alternative.

By the way, I don't think I would buy from ActionLighting. While it is probably a great place to shop, the site annoys me. They have prevented the right-mouse functions from working. Yea, I know it is an attempt to prevent people from stealing copying images, but that never works anyway. If anyone really wanted to capture images, it can be done easily.

What it really prevents me from quickly doing is saving links my desktop so I can come back later to buy. more cumbersome to save links. And it becomes more difficult to right-mouse fill the order form automatically with my buying and shipping data from Roboform or other similar programs. Fortunately there are very few places that use this technique any more.

mmaness wrote:

If you get the sockets from Action Lighting, it's no big deal. Just take some SPT2 wire, and place them (sockets/strobes) where you want 'em. It's not difficult to make at all - just snap 'em together on the wire, and you've got your C9 socket where you want it.

After thinking about this more, I can see that this would be quick to do, and since I only need to do about 15 of them, it can be done in a short amount of time. I found a site that sells the C9 sockets, the 110 volt snap on plugs, and the SPT wire.

This is perfect for making custom one or two socket (or any number of sockets) for the C9 strobes.

mmaness, Thanks again for the great suggestion.

You're welcome! I learned that trick on PC, and I used it the last time. I'm just passing along what I've learned from others. It's a great way to make custom lengths of whatever you need to do.

Another thing you can do is buy their female plugs, cut the little ends off so that you can place the plugs anywhere and everywhere on a length of SPT2, and you have an instant custom made extension cord with multi-plugs along it's length. It what they call a zip cord on PC. Works like a charm!

Just coming back to say I received my curtain strobes from christmaslightshow.com and I really like them. Rapid firing 3-4 time a second which is really good for ending a couple of fast songs or doing the shooting start effect.

Note: Strobes take a short time to charge (expected), so I need to turn them on about 100 milliseconds before I want the strobe effect to occur. Then I need to turn off the power about 100 milliseconds sooner.

After experimenting, I found that it was easier for me to "precharged" the strobes with a 50 millisecond pulse at the start of the song so that the first time the effect is used in the song, they strobe on-time when I really want them to without having to monkey around with the timing. 50 milliseconds is just about long enough to put a little precharge on them with actually firing them.

barbosaa wrote:

Hi do u Know how many amps have every strobe?

I don't know about these strobes, but based on knowledge of other types of strobes, I would be surprised if they draw more than 100 mA each. My guess is that 10 of them would draw less than an amp.

barbosaa wrote:

There was a thread on PC a few years ago with the new version of strobes form Darryl. He said that they draw 6 amps each or 20 would pull a full amp. That is what i have always used in my calculations.

zman wrote:

barbosaa wrote:
There was a thread on PC a few years ago with the new version of strobes form Darryl. He said that they draw 6 amps each or 20 would pull a full amp. That is what i have always used in my calculations.

Hmmm, no way under the sun that a strobe would draw 6 amps each. There is something inconsistent about the statement. If what you say is correct and 20 of them draw a full amp, then each strobe would be drawing 50 milliamps and that sounds about right to me. I was guessing that they would be under 100 mA.

I use in my calculations that Darryl's strobes pull 6 watts each or .05 amps a piece. This would equal the 20 strobes per 1 amp number cited earlier. I have not had a problem in overloading any of my circuits using this assumption and I max out both sides of my controllers so I don't have room for error.

Hope this helps.