Light-O-Rama Forums

WS2811 LED strips have 5 wires w/ no indication?

Kennan

So, I bought some 16' roll WS2811 LED strips, and there are five wires. But, the problem is (is) that theres no indication on the box, website, or strip itself on what wire controls what (R, G,B ,12v, etc)

Is there any way I can find out what wire goes to what?

Thanks, Kennan

They are just an extra +12v and Neg wires which you could use for power injecting. If you don't need them then just ignore. Also, if you look on the strip itself it will tell you which wire is

what, look at the solder/cut points.

WS2811.JPG.63ac1b8b7a1bc11e302788aeb6898d44.JPG

Edited by Mr. P

Look closely at the strip, may need a magnifier. You should be able to see the markings on the pcb. Note also which end is the input end for data. There should be an arrow or an in and out marking.

10 hours ago, Mr. P said:

They are just an extra +12v and Neg wires which you could use for power injecting. If you don't need them then just ignore. Also, if you look on the strip itself it will tell you which wire is

what, look at the solder/cut points.

WS2811.JPG.63ac1b8b7a1bc11e302788aeb6898d44.JPG

I've looked virtually everywhere on the strip and found no indication on what wire is what.

Every ribbon has them, look at the ribbon and follow it. You will see where it comes to a solder/cut point, you will see three solder joints or gold slashes. Right next to the cut point you will see +12v for the positive, D for the data which is normally the center and - or N for the neg. Color wise, normally but not guaranteed, red is the +12v, green is the data and white is the negative. You may need a magnifying glass to see it clearly.

You will also need to look for an arrow printed on the ribbon, this indicates the direction of flow for the data since the data only flows in one direction.

• The topic was locked