Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 DMX - Network connection

CampbellHouse

Have a Pixie 16 that I want to setup as DMX so I can program at the channel level. Have a couple of questions -

If I’m running DMX can I run CAT5 to switch or do I have to use dongle? 

How do I get Visualizer setup to see it or can I see it I Pixel Editor? I setup a prop in Visualizer but it’s not showing correctly?

Most of the programming is from pixel tree sequences that people have been kind enough to share. I’m just not sure the best way to get them into my sequences. 

Appreciate any advise. 

11 minutes ago, CampbellHouse said:

Have a Pixie 16 that I want to setup as DMX so I can program at the channel level. Have a couple of questions -

If I’m running DMX can I run CAT5 to switch or do I have to use dongle? 

How do I get Visualizer setup to see it or can I see it I Pixel Editor? I setup a prop in Visualizer but it’s not showing correctly?

Most of the programming is from pixel tree sequences that people have been kind enough to share. I’m just not sure the best way to get them into my sequences. 

Appreciate any advise. 

Can’t help with DMX.

I can help with the S4 vis - not PE

If you give me the starting Unit ID I can quickly make you the vis that will play if everything is set correctly.

Im out with my boys right now but when I get home can make this.

The pixie manual should exain the DMX protocol 

Ny email dibblejr@ Hotmail shoot me an email the unit ID you will have it in a couple hours.

I can also help with transferring the sequences. 

Im on cell so can’t see your version if S5 I won’t be able to directly help you transfer but I can with your help walk you through the process and we can build your new master config

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Hey JR - Sorry for the delay - Been a busy week with work and my daughter's 21st this weekend. Pixie16 is setup on Aux A / Com 4 - First unit id is 0A.

image.png.fbb3ddd564ac0d6f7357296f4f64ec53.png

image.png.b8a3c4e8ee17dd08be0d9cd7cb74a3af.png

I thought I had it - setup in SE and Vis but it's not showing when I run the sequence. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chester

1 hour ago, CampbellHouse said:

Hey JR - Sorry for the delay - Been a busy week with work and my daughter's 21st this weekend. Pixie16 is setup on Aux A / Com 4 - First unit id is 0A.

image.png.fbb3ddd564ac0d6f7357296f4f64ec53.png

image.png.b8a3c4e8ee17dd08be0d9cd7cb74a3af.png

I thought I had it - setup in SE and Vis but it's not showing when I run the sequence. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chester

Sending you my phone so you can call it’s easieet

Don't know how I missed this the first time

Pixie16 can not be use in DMX only the 2 and 4

Even though I don't see it in your picture.

Sent my cell #  please text first

JR

Chester

Looking at your picture I do not see the "enhanced" box checked.

Go to NP and double click on it and anther box will open. Its all redundant all you have to do is select enhanced and OK

If your tree and your 16 Unit ID's match you should/ will have lights

JR

46 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Chester

Looking at your picture I do not see the "enhanced" box checked.

Go to NP and double click on it and anther box will open. Its all redundant all you have to do is select enhanced and OK

If your tree and your 16 Unit ID's match you should/ will have lights

JR

Enhanced is checked, it is verified in his picture on the far right where he has the red circle outline.

21 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Enhanced is checked, it is verified in his picture on the far right where he has the red circle outline.

Thanks, totally missed it. Been a long day, my eyes are buggy looking at screen. LOL

The problem is gonna be if he actually put DMX address's in the pixie config or in the DMX tab in NP. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Thanks, totally missed it. Been a long day, my eyes are buggy looking at screen. LOL

The problem is gonna be if he actually put DMX address's in the pixie config or in the DMX tab in NP. 

JR

By the looks of it he assigned it to Aux A Comm 4 and gave a ID of OA.. Hopefully he plugged it into a USBRS485 and not the ethernet port or a switch thinking DMX.

42 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

By the looks of it he assigned it to Aux A Comm 4 and gave a ID of OA.. Hopefully he plugged it into a USBRS485 and not the ethernet port or a switch thinking DMX.

The title makes me believe he attempted or set it up using the pixie2/4 directions which would make comm error since DMX will be utilizing that port. If that's the case he should be able to correct it by deleting all of the dmx set ip address's in the NP under the DMX tab,

I just had to do this today for somone else. Well at least they watched me a couple times and then they removed about 100 more.

JR

Hey JR and Mr P - You guys are right on the money. I forgot I'd setup the DMX channels in Network Configuration. Removed them and now it works in Visualizer. Would really be good if Pixie 16 would do DMX so I could run without the USBRS485 but I guess it is what it is.

4 hours ago, CampbellHouse said:

Hey JR and Mr P - You guys are right on the money. I forgot I'd setup the DMX channels in Network Configuration. Removed them and now it works in Visualizer. Would really be good if Pixie 16 would do DMX so I could run without the USBRS485 but I guess it is what it is.

That is why the Pixie controllers can be purchased at lower costs. They are very basic pixel controllers that don't come with many options. This is LORs way of introducing people into pixels without breaking the bank. If you want a full control pixel controller then you will have to step up to the Pixcon.

Mr P - Thanks for the clarification. I've actually moved to a better controller for a majority of my new props but have a Pixie 16 that I just bought last year so will be using it this year. Will be trying to sell it next year and move the mega tree to 12v pixels with a new controller.

Still have 3 LOR controllers that I use for a couple of LED props (adding some singing faces this year) but everything else I'm moving to pixels - goal is next year to have them all converted to pixels. Running these legacy LOR controllers in DMX through a Falcon controller.

Was just trying to move completely away from any dongles - but looks like until I get the mega tree converted over then I'll have to use the dongle.

I run my entire show on two networks. I have one LOR RS485 network that runs my eight CTB16's and six CMB24's. My second network is my E1.31 which is what I run all of my pixels on through 19 pixel controllers which are primarily Falcon. I purchased a Falcon F48 with 9 extension boards this year so that lets me spread nine 4 port controllers throughout the yard.

Here are all the controllers I use:

CTB16 - 8 ea.

CMB24 - 7 ea., one is used year round for landscape lights.

Alphapix 16 - 3 ea

Alphapix 4 - 8 ea.

Hinkspix 16 - 1 ea.

Falcon F16 - 3 ea

Falcon F4 - 6 ea.

Falcon 48 with 9 extensions.

Edited by Mr. P

Mr. P - Sounds like how my setup will be this year (but much smaller! :)). I'm running 1 F16 with one expansion card and 4 expansion cards - Set my 3 existing LOR controllers to run DMX so I can use one of the ports on the F16 instead of using the dongle/usb connection. Pixie16 will have to stay on the LOR USB RS485-HS until next year - will get F48 to run my RGB props running of the F16 this year and then run mega tree off the F16. Hopefully will be off the LOR controllers totally next year with everything converted to RGB - but that's next year! Have to get through this year first! 

• The topic was locked