Light-O-Rama Forums

50w RGB Flood wont color wash in DMX

ovsims

I'm testing my brand new floods. I was using my falcon v3 in test mode to do a color wash were it fade in and out on each color. My floods work right with the Red and Blue but the white and green just flashes / strobe effect. this doesn't seem right can someone chime in and let me know if this is a problem

Off hand,  I would say there is a channel assignments error since there are channels on the LOR 50W flood that will cause strobe.

It also could be a power issue. 

Check the voltage when it's acting up. 

• 2 weeks later...

The 50w flood work correctly when using the Hardware Utility to test the channels. But when I hook it up in the DMX network from my falcon v3 it does not. I cannot do a color wash  correctly. I've switched the jumpers on the board on the 50w flood from LOR to dmx. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong

Edited by ovsims

ok figured it out sort of but not really. to give you the full picture I have some other RGB floods that are not LOR so I'm trying to get them to work together. I cannot test these LOR floods with my Falcon v3 or at least I haven't figured out how to do it. but when I use xlights and the falcon I can uncheck channels 4 and 5 for the LOR floods and every thing works together. My question now is if I daisy chain the Floods can I still make each flood it's own color or does it turn into a dumb rgb string all of them have to be the same color. And is there a way to disable channels 4 and 5 through the hardware utility? I know its a little early for christmas lights talk but any help will be appreciated

26 minutes ago, ovsims said:

My question now is if I daisy chain the Floods can I still make each flood it's own color or does it turn into a dumb rgb string all of them have to be the same color.

Absolutely not.  Each flood will behave independently (unless of course you set them all to the same Unit ID).

I'm back to my previous statement - almost certainly a channel configuration issue.  Since the floods work properly with the LOR Hardware Utility, it is very likely that they are working properly.  Just to make sure I understand your setup, as I understand it, you are using a Falcon F3 controller and using one of the Falcon outputs as a DMX universe.  You would use with either the DIP switches to set the starting DMX address or set the DIP switches to all 0 and then use the Hardware Utility to set the LOR Unit ID (and therefore the DMX starting address when using DMX to drive it).  Check out pages 21 - 26 of the CF50D manual to see what the relationship is between LOR Unit ID and DMX starting address.  As far as the CF50D is concerned, you can use any DMX starting address for any particular flood.  I have no idea if there are limitations in xLights.  In the event that xLights assumes a RGB device is three channels and you can't vary that, the simple solution would be to start for example flood #1 on DMX address 1, and then flood #2 on DMX address 7 (instead of 4), etc.  You "waste" one address, but that is not a problem.

38 minutes ago, ovsims said:

And is there a way to disable channels 4 and 5 through the hardware utility?

Not that I know of, but there is no reason to do so.

oh wait. so if I daisy chain them I can't have all of them with dip 1 on. the dip tells it the starting address not the universe. So this may be a dumb question but how do I put it in a different universe. smh I'm feeling like this is too advance for me. I thought it has to be in a different universe to make the colors different

Edited by ovsims

What are you actually running the flood on, DMX or LOR? If you are running off of a Falcon then you have to use DMX addressing , If running on LOR network then you have to use Unit ID's..

Try this if running off of a Falcon and daisy chaining off port 1.

Example Falcon IP - 192.168.1.50

Universe 10

1st CF50 dip switches set 000000001   This would be ID 1, this flood uses 5 channels.

2nd CF50 dip switches set 000000110 This would be ID 6, this flood uses 5 channels.

3rd CF50 dip switches set  000001011  This would be ID 11, this flood uses 5 channels

Edited by Mr. P

56 minutes ago, ovsims said:

oh wait. so if I daisy chain them I can't have all of them with dip 1 on. the dip tells it the starting address not the universe.

A DMX device (running on RS-485 cable - not E1.31) knows NOTHING about Universe.  In your case, the Falcon controller DOES know about universes, and takes (for example) anything going to Universe 1 and spits it out on whatever output port you have told it to.  Once it's a RS-485 data stream, Universe does not come into play.

59 minutes ago, ovsims said:

So this may be a dumb question but how do I put it in a different universe. smh I'm feeling like this is too advance for me. I thought it has to be in a different universe to make the colors different

A single DMX universe can have up to 512 channels.  Your 50W flood uses only 5 channels.  So as long as you give different starting DMX addresses, you could have up to 102 50W floods on one daisy chain (as far as DMX channel numbering is concerned) - HOWEVER the DMX spec says only 32 devices on one network, so 102 would likely cause problems.

Mr. P already posted how to set up the channels and that should be fine (other than when dealing with DMX starting addresses, it's in decimal and not hex, so his example would be IDs 1, 6, & 11 - see page 21 of the manual).

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Mr. P already posted how to set up the channels and that should be fine (other than when dealing with DMX starting addresses, it's in decimal and not hex, so his example would be IDs 1, 6, & 11 - see page 21 of the manual).

Good catch with the Hexidecimal as I must have been thinking LOR as 11 = 0B  :D

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

Good catch with the Hexidecimal as I must have been thinking LOR as 11 = 0B  :D

We spend so much time beating hex into people, that it becomes the habit.  Have to reverse it the hex habit for DMX :)

As for the Falcon, you set up the universes in the Falcon menu usually one universe per port. Then you have to go into the LOR network configuration and assign the Falcon's IP address to those universes.

After everything is configured you can test everything in the HU by clicking on the pixel console, checking DMX Pixel (E1.31) in the bottom left corner then select the universe you want to test.

Ok I'm about to try this out. I have a question about the rj45 jumpers. the manual doesn't really go in detail about the auto function. if I put the jumper on DMX instead of LOR  and then plug it to my LOR network will it still work and vice versa if jumper is on LOR and I plug in DMX? I'm trying to keep opening these thing to a minimum and since I don't really know what's going to be the easiest way right now. I was just exited to test my new stuff. And what's the AUX power jumper for didn't see that in the manual at all

Edited by ovsims

The jumper settings on the Falcon change the pins that output the signal but don't change the digital signal.

You want use the jumpers in the Lor position so you can use a straight through Cat5 cable to run your Lor Network. 

Lor controllers output voltage on a couple of the lines that can damage equipment if you're not careful. 

2 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

The jumper settings on the Falcon change the pins that output the signal but don't change the digital signal.

You want use the jumpers in the Lor position so you can use a straight through Cat5 cable to run your Lor Network. 

Lor controllers output voltage on a couple of the lines that can damage equipment if you're not careful. 

my question is more so about the LOR 50w floods and the jumpers in them. Just want to know as much about them as I can

The jumpers on the floods are important because the rj45's are wired differently for an LOR network and a DMX network. If running the floods on a DMX network then make sure the jumpers are set for DMX and if on a LOR network set the jumpers for LOR.

DMX and LOR use different pins for power and such and if the jumpers are not set correctly you can burn something up.

I thought setting the dip would be easy now i have more questions. In the manual and in Mr P example it looks like for 1 I need to set dip 9 on. and  for 6 then dip 7and 8. here's where I get confused I have a custom built flood with a dmx controller in it when I used the dmx calculator on my phone it said the for 1 dip 1 should be on and then 2 and 3. so I'm guessing dmx addressing isn't standard or am I look at the manual and Mr P example wrong and 1 in the manual goes from right to left. ie

1st CF50 dip switches set 000000001  this means dip 1?

26 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

You are using LOR Software so go by their chart.

1st CF50 dip switches set 000000001  is this dip 1 or dip 9?