Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding RGB in 2018

ericg2000

i'm beginning to start messing with rgb for 2018.  i'm not new to lor, i've been using it since 2013 and i recently upgraded to the pro license.

i don't have any rgb equipment yet, but i want to start messing with the programming and effects.  my plan is to use dumb pixel strips for halloween and smart pixels for christmas.  what i can't figure out is how to set up visualizer to play back what i sequence.  correct me if i am wrong, but for dumb pixels (basic color changes) once i set up the rgb channel in SE, i can use the fade/color change tool to do what i want.  but i can't figure out how to get that to show up in visualizer.  i created the channel, set it to universe 1, selected allow dmx, and in visualizer i drew a line on my house and assigned it to universe 1.  what else am i not doing or am i completely wrong??? 

as for smart pixels, i have messed with pixel editor, but not a hole lot. i want to figure the above issue out first.  i do like all the effects it can generate.  there, i was able to set some pixel strings and create effects. 

lastly, i found a cheap starter pack at holiday coro for $40.  it has a small dmx board, a few sample lights and power supply.  i was going to get it but i's out of stock.  does anyone else make anything like this, or is it a waste?  thanks.

Unless you are using the dumb RGB on bushes, or something like that.....don't bother with them.  When you go to Sequence for Christmas, you will wish you had gone with the smart pixels for Halloween, as well.  Smart pixels can be used like dumb strips/nodes,  and programed pretty much the same way.  May think it is a little cheaper, but you may very well find yourself wanting/wishing to upgrade to smart pixels rather quickly, and the money spent on dumb controllers could have been better spent on what you will end up replacing them with anyway.   Really isn't much need for dumb nodes, anymore.  Redoing my windows and doors in smart pixels, and realizing buying the dumb strips was just a waste of money since I am replacing them after just a couple seasons.  Someone gave me this same advice, and I now wish I had taken it.

Also, I found the "sample package" to be a waste of money as well.  Its ok for a learning tool,  but WAY over priced, and was completely useless in a very short time, as I learned fast, and nothing in the package was usable in my show.

Edited by Dcroc

8 hours ago, ericg2000 said:

i'm beginning to start messing with rgb for 2018.  i'm not new to lor, i've been using it since 2013 and i recently upgraded to the pro license.

i don't have any rgb equipment yet, but i want to start messing with the programming and effects.  my plan is to use dumb pixel strips for halloween and smart pixels for christmas.  what i can't figure out is how to set up visualizer to play back what i sequence.  correct me if i am wrong, but for dumb pixels (basic color changes) once i set up the rgb channel in SE, i can use the fade/color change tool to do what i want.  but i can't figure out how to get that to show up in visualizer.  i created the channel, set it to universe 1, selected allow dmx, and in visualizer i drew a line on my house and assigned it to universe 1.  what else am i not doing or am i completely wrong??? 

as for smart pixels, i have messed with pixel editor, but not a hole lot. i want to figure the above issue out first.  i do like all the effects it can generate.  there, i was able to set some pixel strings and create effects. 

lastly, i found a cheap starter pack at holiday coro for $40.  it has a small dmx board, a few sample lights and power supply.  i was going to get it but i's out of stock.  does anyone else make anything like this, or is it a waste?  thanks.

I see you are in TX and I am not familiar with your location but for what its worth this years Christmas Expo is in Mesquitte. LOR is having a class for folks just like you, not new to LOR but adding RGB's. the Website is Christmasexpo.com for more info.

JR

11 hours ago, Dcroc said:

Unless you are using the dumb RGB on bushes, or something like that.....don't bother with them.  When you go to Sequence for Christmas, you will wish you had gone with the smart pixels for Halloween, as well.  Smart pixels can be used like dumb strips/nodes,  and programed pretty much the same way.  May think it is a little cheaper, but you may very well find yourself wanting/wishing to upgrade to smart pixels rather quickly, and the money spent on dumb controllers could have been better spent on what you will end up replacing them with anyway.   Really isn't much need for dumb nodes, anymore.  Redoing my windows and doors in smart pixels, and realizing buying the dumb strips was just a waste of money since I am replacing them after just a couple seasons.  Someone gave me this same advice, and I now wish I had taken it.

Also, I found the "sample package" to be a waste of money as well.  Its ok for a learning tool,  but WAY over priced, and was completely useless in a very short time, as I learned fast, and nothing in the package was usable in my show.

good info... and yes, i know me i'd program dumb pixels, then as soon as i started messing with smart pixels, i'd never go back to the dumb pixels. 

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I see you are in TX and I am not familiar with your location but for what its worth this years Christmas Expo is in Mesquitte. LOR is having a class for folks just like you, not new to LOR but adding RGB's. the Website is Christmasexpo.com for more info.

JR

i'm going to check this out.  i'll probably be up and programming by then, but if there is other stuff to see (and buy) it might be worth while going. 

41 minutes ago, ericg2000 said:

good info... and yes, i know me i'd program dumb pixels, then as soon as i started messing with smart pixels, i'd never go back to the dumb pixels. 

i'm going to check this out.  i'll probably be up and programming by then, but if there is other stuff to see (and buy) it might be worth while going. 

There are 4 of us from 4 different states that will be having our little meet and some diy classes and building at least 1 matrix at our friends house just South of the expo. I'm going to be out there for 7-10 days. If interested let me know, def going to have a BBQ (s). PM me if interested. Its not part of the Expo and a good way for you to meet a few good guys here.

JR

i figured out my issues... i created a prop in visualizer with two strings on 50 CCB, loaded that into SS, messed around until i found something i half way liked, exported to SE, played it and visualizer didn't show anything.  i searched, and came across a forum where someone mentioned pixels only work when the LOR control panel is loaded.  loaded it and everything works.  how i missed that, not sure.  had i found this a few days ago, i wold have saved myself a lot of headache. 

• 2 months later...

I just want to be sure I am clear as I am rather fearful of going to smart pixels because of the programming requirement. I purchased a 16 CCR tree last year and OMG was it (time-consuming). it was awesome but I almost had to take it down due to lack of time.

So for my question... If I buy smart pixels for my windows, can I can still use the standard sequence that LOR now adds for dumb RGB's? I ofcourse will modify as I have time to take advantage of the Smart capabilities later.

Also, ribbons or bulbs for windows? I can't decide as the ribbons don't bend and face out.

4 hours ago, Light Nerd said:

I just want to be sure I am clear as I am rather fearful of going to smart pixels because of the programming requirement. I purchased a 16 CCR tree last year and OMG was it (time-consuming). it was awesome but I almost had to take it down due to lack of time.

So for my question... If I buy smart pixels for my windows, can I can still use the standard sequence that LOR now adds for dumb RGB's? I ofcourse will modify as I have time to take advantage of the Smart capabilities later.

Also, ribbons or bulbs for windows? I can't decide as the ribbons don't bend and face out.

You can use any sequence for almost any smart RGB’s however you will only get the color you copy paste.

I am adding window smart RGB’s. It will be easier for me to use the rectangular plastic lights. They sit flat and the wire in between each set will allow them to go around the frames. Sorry I am out and don’t know the models # I purchased.

They have 3 screw holes or double sided tape. I will just use one screw hole for each, that should be enough.

JR

• The topic was locked