Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Tree or CCR Tree

Kyle Whitaker

Do you think a pixel tree or a CCR tree is better?  I'm thinking about adding one next year but not sure which way to go.  CCR tree seems like it might be simpler and cheaper?

Different look and feel between the 2.  Really comes down to the look that you prefer.  Do a google search by "pixel tree" or "mega tree" and views the videos on different looks.

Guessing if you do a search of LOR forums by the same keywords in thread titles, you'll see a number of videos and quite a bit on layout and contsruction of the 2 styles.

agree with MPageler, all depends on what you want. CCR flat is often bigger, brighter, and shows animation better but it is hard to compare to the cool 3D effects and spirals of the pixel(ccp) tree. I have some vids on my website or go to Bryans website where you can see some of the same songs on different tree types :

http://www.superstarlights.com/Sequences/Purchase.php

10 hours ago, Kyle Whitaker said:

Do you think a pixel tree or a CCR tree is better?  I'm thinking about adding one next year but not sure which way to go.  CCR tree seems like it might be simpler and cheaper?

If this is any help, I have had a 16 CCR tree the past 2 seasons and am going to move to a pixel tree next year and re-purpose my CCR's. I built the frame using aluminum tubing that is outlined pretty well in an older thread in this forum, but it has become too bulky and heavy to handle. It isn't that I don't like the CCR tree, but I am ready for a new look, and my yard isn't large enough to accommodate 2 large trees.

As others have said, CCR shows animation very well and is naturally pretty tall, but I am looking forward to a pixel tree.

• Like 1

A matter of what you want it to appear as.   Ribbons look more link a solid line of color.  Pixels more like Christmas lights depending on the distance between the pixels.  Ribbons are VERY delicate and difficult to repair as well as not really that weatherproof. Pixels are  very sturdy.

If you want the look of ribbons with the weatherproof of and strength of pixels look into rectangular modules.  If you zip tie them to Boscoyo strips end to end you will get the same look as ribbons and the easy of repair as well as the weatherproof of pixels (each module has 3 5050 pixels addressable as one, same as a 12v ribbon).

We have a 24 CCR tree and love it!  The kids call it the Christmas TV....lol   Adding a pixel tree this year because of the cool effects especially the spiral effect!

I have Both  12 CCr tree and a 30 string 360 Degree pixel tree  to me images are better on the ccr tree but spirals and effects generated in the pixel editor look better on the pixel tree.

I have a 12 strip tree for three years now. And two years prior 12x50 pixel tree. I repurposed my pixel tree into some matrix's. The strip tree is great for images. But the pixel tree is great for effects. I prefer the look of strips personally. I even have them outlined to my house.

For those with pixel trees, are images still suitable on them? I plan to use some of my CCR16 sequences on the pixel tree in 2018.

• 1 month later...

I debated this also. Ribbon or bullets.  As much a I love the laser crispness of the ribbon. I went  with pixels and white Boscoyo strips on 2" centers.  50x16.  And purchased and extra string off bullets for repairs.  

My choice was based ease of repairs and durability.  

But still like the look of ribbons more. 

• The topic was locked