Light-O-Rama Forums

Wireless

dgingery

Not a whole lot of information given to go on, but my question would be-

if it doesn’t work hardwired, why would it work wirelessly?

Yes I think it's the cat5 cable more than anything. It tests fine but it was working with a different cable. The only problem is I only have 1 that is that long of a run. So I wanted to know if anyone has used these before. 

5 hours ago, dgingery said:

Is anyone using a wireless signal for the lights? I have a controller I can't get a cat5 cable to work on. So I order a wireless setup.

Screenshot_20171202-090445.png

Those are for DMX with XLR connections

2 hours ago, dgingery said:

Yes I think it's the cat5 cable more than anything. It tests fine but it was working with a different cable. The only problem is I only have 1 that is that long of a run. So I wanted to know if anyone has used these before. 

Length is likely NOT your issue.  The RS-485 standard allows a total of 4,000 feet of cable.  I doubt your house is that large :)

Very carefully visually check the RJ-45 connectors on the controller.  Sometimes the connectors will get messed up.  Try the other connector on that controller - especially if you see a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Those are for DMX with XLR connections

Which is why I’m questioning as OP says issue is cat5. 

The good news is I found the fix with the wireless receiver that will get me by for the moment. They seem to work just fine. If it holds up I may change all the box's over to it. I'm thinking the rj45 plug is the problem. But where I have it mounted I can not see inside it right now. So if the wireless holds up for the rest of the season I'll check it after. 

I run wireless DMX with the transmitter/receivers you listed with no issues or lag.  You can build your own wireless setup with boards sold on Ebay or Amazon for a few bucks if you're interested in doing so.  Do a search for wireless DMX boards.  They're sold with the antennas.  I think I paid $15 each for mine and they work the same as the XLR plug types.  The boards will automatically transmit when they are given a DMX signal or receive when they hear a DMX transmission on the selected channel.   Here's a link..

https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Wireless-Controller-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B00ZQNIGQQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512788436&sr=8-2&keywords=wireless+dmx+board

~ Chris

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dgingery said:

One more question what wire goes where on the board. I was thinking of putting them on the XLR plug.

Look at the back of the board.  The pins are labeled

1 hour ago, dgingery said:

Ok where does the power go? I figured the rest out. But the power will not work through the regular power terminal. 

It says 5V and GND.. You need a clean source of 5V  (LOR has 9V on the RJ45, so you need to regulate and filter if you use that.) ALL GNDs (LOR to board.to power) need to be tied together, regardless of how you power the board

• The topic was locked