Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie Controllers - 50 foot extensions?

robigd

I saw in the store that it says:

"If you have the newest Pixie Controllers (which have dip switches on them) you can add up to 50 feet of extensions."

I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly because I always read that anything beyond 10 feet from the controller starts to cause issues. Has anyone actually tested this distance? Here I thought I would have to buy a bunch of pixie 4's and 8's for what I want to do next year. This would be a game changer for me :)

Edited by robigd

That is my understanding with the version 2 pixie controllers as well.

My opinion is that your life will be easier by NOT running long extensions and keeping the controllers near the props that use them.  Much easier to manage for us humans.  Also recall that the Pixie is somewhat limited in that for a bunch of the parameters, the settings are global for the entire controller.  That becomes a problem if you find that one batch of pixels have a different color order than a different type or batch of pixels, for example. 

I take that in one case to the extreme.  On of the SanDevices E6804 E1.31 controllers that is used year round has exactly 17 pixels on it.

35 minutes ago, robigd said:

I saw in the store that it says:

"If you have the newest Pixie Controllers (which have dip switches on them) you can add up to 50 feet of extensions."

I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly because I always read that anything beyond 10 feet from the controller starts to cause issues. Has anyone actually tested this distance? Here I thought I would have to buy a bunch of pixie 4's and 8's for what I want to do next year. This would be a game changer for me :)

I will let you know after the holidays.

Going to add at least 3 more to my lineup for 2018. Taking me to 8 pixie16's. I don't need 50' but I could have used 30'. I run 2 of my pixie16's non dip switch at about 25 feet without issues. That's the length of my cable from controller to prop. 

My circles take 20' cables and then some. Absolutely no probs but they are on their own network. Even my matrix cable is over 10' and the controller is attached to the matrix.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks for the responses. I don't personally think I need to go 50 feet, but it is nice to know it is an option.

For my particular need, I am wanting to do the eve lines of my entire roof with CCB's, and with this knowledge, the pixie16 could sit in the middle of my roof and extend out to every light string. As k6ccc said, the cable runs may be a little excessive, but it is pretty clean from a controller perspective.

dibblejr, please check back in after the holidays and let me know how it went.

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses. I don't personally think I need to go 50 feet, but it is nice to know it is an option.

For my particular need, I am wanting to do the eve lines of my entire roof with CCB's, and with this knowledge, the pixie16 could sit in the middle of my roof and extend out to every light string. As k6ccc said, the cable runs may be a little excessive, but it is pretty clean from a controller perspective.

dibblejr, please check back in after the holidays and let me know how it went.

Thanks!

Gen 2 Pixies do have much better output.  However remember when we say you can extend them 50' that means in best case scenarios @ 12V.  5V is less than half of that.

Electrically noisy environments or marginal extensions/connections/etc will reduce the total.

Also remember that there is still voltage drop to contend with.  You may find out 50 feet later that your whites are more pink compared to other strings with no extensions.

• The topic was locked