Light-O-Rama Forums

One Half of CCR Ribbon Stuck

CovertRain

Hello all.  I built 4 arches last years using 2 CCR Ribbon sets.  They worked perfectly all through Halloween and Christmas.  I stored them away carefully.  Now when I pulled them out this year, 1/2 of one of the ribbons is stuck (in effect one arch).  It turns on but it's all white except a few pixels appear to be random colors.

I tried swapping CCR controllers to make sure it wasn't the controller but that didn't change the symptoms.  I tried hitting the reset button and holding it down and that did nothing as well.

Is that strand toast?

Edited by CovertRain

41 minutes ago, CovertRain said:

Is that strand toast?

Likely yes.  Open a help desk ticket with LOR.  Their warranty is really pretty good.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

Likely yes.  Open a help desk ticket with LOR.  Their warranty is really pretty good.

Thanks.  I just opened a ticket.  I hope they can help.  If not, I might do without arches this year.  I might as well buy a new controller if the above prices for the replacement are correct.  If they are not anymore durable?  What is the point?

My experience is that ribbons are pretty fragile despite great effort to handle gently.  Sometimes if you lightly press on the little components/solders that are located just before the pixels that are acting funky you may discover a solder crack or break.  I have done a show fix with a strategically place zip tie to keep pressure on the break point to maintain a connection.  Might help you limp through your show season while you wait for a replacement or repair. 

It's still good idea to have a spare or too if you can afford to.

Nothing more irritating than have one go down when the show

must go on.

On 10/1/2017 at 8:10 AM, Marty Belisle said:

My experience is that ribbons are pretty fragile despite great effort to handle gently.  Sometimes if you lightly press on the little components/solders that are located just before the pixels that are acting funky you may discover a solder crack or break.  I have done a show fix with a strategically place zip tie to keep pressure on the break point to maintain a connection.  Might help you limp through your show season while you wait for a replacement or repair. 

+1 This got me by for 2 years. :o Treat the CCR's with care.

Alan...

• The topic was locked